How to shadow a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antidote

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I would really like to shadow a dentist, to get a feel for what dentistry's all about. One problem though: how do I go about doing this? should I call a random dentist from the phonebook and be like: "can I shadow you?" ...I don't have a permanent dentist that I go to. Also, what exactly does shadowing involve? do I get to watch them while they work? would they be ok with this?

thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

My favorite way:

Volunteer at a hospital that has a dental/OMFS/peds department. These are usually teaching environments so they won't mind at all if you observe.

HTH!

Hi antidote
It would be better if you would go to dental offices in person, rather than using the telephone, It shows that you are professional and its harder for them to turn you down. Just tell them that you are interested in pursuing a career in dentistry and most dentists would be happy to let you shadow them. The best time would be early in morning and near lunch, or you could ask to schedule a talk on the dentists time.

Different dentists have different philosophies/ways of letting you shadow. I've done some light assisting in some offices to sitting in the back room reading journals( :mad: ) at another, either way you learn something about the field and whether you will be interested in pursuing the field.

Good luck