How to thank a letter writer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunShare

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, search function didn't turn up any advice.

Is there a standard protocol? Should you just sent a thank you note? Will they think I'm weird if I deliver cookies?

Members don't see this ad.

I gave one of my writers an Alec Baldwin mousepad. Using Alec as an example to illustrate theories was a running joke in his course. He nearly died laughing when he opened the gift. Most of my letter writers just got a sincere thank you letter, though. So, I think you have a lot of latitude depending on the relationships you developed with the writers.

My professors, who I don't know all that well, got really nice thank-you notes. Of my more personal/professional writers, 2 got a free dinner on me and 1 (who did her fellowship in my hometown) got some ice cream that she loves which you can only buy in said town.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine are all golfers, so they received a sleeve of really nice balls and a hand written thank you note.

Sorry, search function didn't turn up any advice.

Is there a standard protocol? Should you just sent a thank you note? Will they think I'm weird if I deliver cookies?

I baked mine cookies (delivered the day after I found out I'd been accepted). They seemed to go over well.

Edit: and a hand-written thank you note, of course.

I did a summer program at UWash SOM the summer of '06 that required jumping through all sorts of hoops to get into, including LORs, and when I got accepted, I gave each of my letter writers a coffee mug with easter grass and homemade flower shaped cookies-on-a-stick, with a hand-written thank-you note about how great an opportunity this was, and how I couldn't have done it without them. They all absolutely loved them!

In the past, I have given hand-written thank you notes along with a nice plant or hanging basket....seems to always go over well!

How soon should you write the the thank you note? Do you wait until you get in?

Throughtful email

wait until you know the application results.

as a word of caution--one of my letter writers was very offended that i got him a small ($10) gift. be sure you know them before you give anything.