how to thank a research mentor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro1617

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had 2 really excellent research mentors this summer. They taught me so much and made it really enjoyable. They were also so helpful in answering any questions I had about the profession, said to call anytime to chat, and I'll probably be shadowing the one MD this year. My question...should I just write a thank you note to, well, thank them? My mother insists on getting them gift cards to a cafe right across from the hospital. I'm sure they could use it, but isn't that a bit excessive? We worked together..I also am considering getting an LOR or 2 so I don't want it to be the end-all thank you....

Members don't see this ad.

Well I don't know if this is the 'correct' way of doing it but usually I thank people with a hand-written card and some kind of home-baked goods. It shows more personal effort and investment than a gift card and it's a little more casual too, or at least I think so.

Sexual favors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha, seriously though when my research experience was over my PI invited me and everyone else in the lab to lunch at her house. I gave her a nice little crystal keychain I got from Egypt and a thank you card. Holy fu*$ I just saw a dolphin or shark or something jump out of the water for air on the beach...