How to Withdraw from a School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICCONFETTI

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm Just wondering, what's' the best way to tell a school that you won't be attending and you'd like your 100 dollar deposit back?

email, snail mail, phone??

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think most places require a formal letter that is signed by the person to withdraw an application.

So i'm Just wondering, what's' the best way to tell a school that you won't be attending and you'd like your 100 dollar deposit back?

thanks!

I sent an email (with my AMCAS ID number) followed by snail mail...a little redundant, but I figured that the email would let them free up the spot faster. Your acceptance letter or the school's admission's page might even say how they prefer you to let them know. Congrats on the multiple offers!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just email, its quicker. I sent one to NYU and they confirmed with a reply like 5 min later.

I sent a formal letter but I haven't heard any confirmation back yet. I think I'll send an email too just in case my letter got lost somewhere at the admin office.

P.S. Oooh look at this guy:banana: isn't he cute, I never saw him before. This banana emoticon is my new best friend.

I just sent emails to the schools. I think that should be sufficient.

Has anyone withdrawn from NYMC. I withdrew via email 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from them. Most schools responded back immediately; not to mention they sent the refunded deposit.

Has anyone heard from NYMC post withdrawal.

There has to be something in writing, either email or letter. For some I sent a letter and followed up with a phone call to confirm. With time being more of an issue now, I'd do email and call if you don't receive confirmation.

I would just email, its quicker. I sent one to NYU and they confirmed with a reply like 5 min later.

Jeesh, I got absolutely no response until the deposit refund arrived about a month and a half later.

Email is not reliable. I sent out withdrawals to about 7 schools, all by email. 3 of them still sent me interview invitations like a month later. I don't know what the best way is, but not email, half of them obviously don't look at it.:hungover:

Jeesh, I got absolutely no response until the deposit refund arrived about a month and a half later.

So do we have to mention about the refund at all or they will automatically send it to you? I heard that you kinda have to "push" them to send out the refund at some schools. Is that true?

Email is not reliable. I sent out withdrawals to about 7 schools, all by email. 3 of them still sent me interview invitations like a month later. I don't know what the best way is, but not email, half of them obviously don't look at it.:hungover:

Withdrawing an acceptance is different than withdrawing an application.

Has anyone withdrawn from NYMC. I withdrew via email 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from them. Most schools responded back immediately; not to mention they sent the refunded deposit.

Yup, it took only a day for them to email me back. Try emailing them again.

They sent me an e-mail the next day saying that I was officially withdrawn... (This was just yesterday though:))

i am withdrawing 1 of my acceptances and wondering about how to do so -- my other withdrawals have been short and sweet, since i don't see any need to be terribly nice and kiss a-- anymore. however, one of the reasons i am withdrawing from this school is that i had an absolutely horrible interview (i didn't do a great job either), and my interviewer was SO negative (not just about my answers, but about everything, from living in the south to the school itself) that he really turned me off to the school. i understand (now) that there is such a thing as a stress interview, but i am an undergrad at said institution, and so i am guessing he would have made an even worse impression on someone not familiar with the school.

so my question is: i really want to mention in my withdrawal that this is a reason i will not be attending. is this ok? i am thinking that they should know about this problem they have with this interviewer. so, the other question is -- mention this interviewer by name in the email? assume that they'll know who he is, if they care to know, by looking at my file? i'm not really concerned about making anyone mad, because i can't see myself coming here for residency, but i don't want to do anything too out-of-line, and i am wondering if mentioning his name is out of line?

I would e-mail and note in the e-mail that a formal printed letter will follow.

thanks!
I think that once you sent a deposit a paper letter with a real signature is appropriate. It would not be inappropriate, however, to e-mail them - like now - to let them know that the letter has been posted. I'm surprised you haven't been jumped by all the wait-listers yet!!!