Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Exactly why I plan to go until I'm 70. Seriously. I went into medicine because I like it, and I don't want to give it up just to sit around the house, travel all the time, and get bored. Yea, you can entertain yourself traveling for a while, but eventually that's going to get boring.I think most people who make 300-450K / year can retire early. But lots of things have to happen for that to occur. And they usually don't. The principle one is to live like you make 50K a year which the majority of people do not once you make 300K/year.
Moreover there is the concept of doing something with your time. You can retire early but seriously what the F are you going to do when you retire at age 43? You have 40-50 more years of your life. You are single. You live in a home you paid off. You have a kitty of 4M and you live off of dividends and make 150K/year. What are you going to do every day of your life? Play golf? Masturbate? Trade options and watch CNBC? Take photography lessons? Garden? Bowl? What the F are you going to do every single day of your life?
I already golf and say hello to lefty, even garden on a regular basis. If I don't work I've got nothing to do. I could occupy my time for a month or two...but I would be so damn bored.
Lots of fun things in life require $$$. You can sail for a hobby and decide to sail around the world one year. That will cost you $$$$$$.
If you find a girl and you start f'ing, and she discovers that you have retired early at age 43 and living off dividends, she will not want to work and do **** with you. That will cost $$$$$. Not $$. If it costs you $$ she won't be f'ing you anymore.
Perhaps I'm a workalcoholic. I worked 1,728 hours last year. I could cut back but I swear I would get bored. And I even had kids. Teenagers. They hate me and do not want anything to do with me. (Well...they don't hate me they just want money to go hang out with their friends.)
Honestly maybe I'm a sad sod, but I would be bored if I retired early.
Plus....it's hard to retire early in the Bay Area. And I'm not gonna move because I like it here. Along with like 8M other people.
Plus there's the concept that if you retire early, you aren't engaging your brain and you lose it quicker.
The only way I'm not working until I'm 70 (and possibly even longer) is if I'm in poor health (disabled or demented) or if I choose a second career. Heck even dementia might not stop me. After all, I might be the last to know I don't know what I'm doing. What were we talking about again?