How worried should I be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Govols22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the situation. I have a 3.9+ gpa, but I did very bad on my mcat last year. I got a 500. I only did a 3 practice tests coming into it. In which I got a 497 on a Princeton review FL, the aamc sample, and a 505 on AAMC FL 1. I was horrified when I received a 500, and I'm just hoping I don't fall into that hole again.

This year I have taken a total of 14 practice exams, as I learned 3 was poor preparation. I feel much more confident this time around and I am averaging between 503-507 on Next step, 502-503 (1 506 outlier) on Kaplan, and about 65% on average on examkrackers. I even retook FL1 from last year and got a 513! Now I'm sure that was skewed due to me retaking it (although I hardly remember anything from it after taking 10 other FL within that time span). But today I took FL2 and I got a 506 and I hit a huge confidence blow, as I'm suppose to take the exam next week.

Here's my score breakdown
C/P 128
Cars 124
B/B 127
P/S 127

I get 78% right on C/P and 85% right on P/P and my C/P is actually an entire point higher than the P/P. Fascinating.

To be honest at this point , 506 and above and I will be content if not ecstatic. But I am terrified that I would drop the ball like last year, although I feel like I can read the passages better and know more content review.

I begin to wonder how so many people on here who get 503's on Kaplans end up 515+.

How should I feel coming into next Thursday?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking my MCAT June 17.

I've heard that NS FLs are suuuper hard. Kaplan's are also really hard;I can say from experience. Given your goal score, I think you are doing very well... The AAMC FLs are most predictive of your actual score.

Your exam is next week. I'd say don't torture yourself, don't take another FL, just review and practice, go in there, and do your best. You seem prepared. Go in there with your head up; confidence is needed more than you know for this exam.

I am taking my MCAT June 17.

I've heard that NS FLs are suuuper hard. Kaplan's are also really hard;I can say from experience. Given your goal score, I think you are doing very well... The AAMC FLs are most predictive of your actual score.

Your exam is next week. I'd say don't torture yourself, don't take another FL, just review and practice, go in there, and do your best. You seem prepared. Go in there with your head up; confidence is needed more than you know for this exam.

Thanks for the support. You're right, I just have to stay focused and come in confident.

Here is the situation. I have a 3.9+ gpa, but I did very bad on my mcat last year. I got a 500. I only did a 3 practice tests coming into it. In which I got a 497 on a Princeton review FL, the aamc sample, and a 505 on AAMC FL 1. I was horrified when I received a 500, and I'm just hoping I don't fall into that hole again.

This year I have taken a total of 14 practice exams, as I learned 3 was poor preparation. I feel much more confident this time around and I am averaging between 503-507 on Next step, 502-503 (1 506 outlier) on Kaplan, and about 65% on average on examkrackers. I even retook FL1 from last year and got a 513! Now I'm sure that was skewed due to me retaking it (although I hardly remember anything from it after taking 10 other FL within that time span). But today I took FL2 and I got a 506 and I hit a huge confidence blow, as I'm suppose to take the exam next week.

Here's my score breakdown
C/P 128
Cars 124
B/B 127
P/S 127

I get 78% right on C/P and 85% right on P/P and my C/P is actually an entire point higher than the P/P. Fascinating.

To be honest at this point , 506 and above and I will be content if not ecstatic. But I am terrified that I would drop the ball like last year, although I feel like I can read the passages better and know more content review.

I begin to wonder how so many people on here who get 503's on Kaplans end up 515+.

How should I feel coming into next Thursday?

The people who ended up with 515+ with 503 Kaplan scores were most likely people who took the Kaplan tests earlier in their studies. If you look at their AAMC practice tests, usually they scored pretty high. However, you could likely get a 515+ on a given day since there are many versions of the same test. So if you are lucky, you will get one that plays to your strengths and that obviously plays some role in the weird distribution of scores that you have pointed out. Given how important this test is, who would want to gamble that on luck? Having said that, if you feel you have prepared well for this test and would be satisfied with 506+, I would say you should take it. Go in with confidence, telling yourself you have nothing to lose. I think you should be able to pull off a 507+. You should use your last week going over the SB if you haven't done already and do CARS every day. That may be something that keeps you from getting a high score. GL