How would i pay for other expenses during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednoob

I ask noobish questions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
obviously if i go 2 med school i wudnt b able 2 get a job 2 earn a little money on the side, so how wud i b able 2 pay 4 living expenses and gas? i noe i can take out loans but i prefer not to do that but that may be my only option cuz im gonna b away from home.

any otha advice on managing finances during med school wud b appreciated

thx a million ppl

aiight 1

Members don't see this ad.

obviously if i go 2 med school i wudnt b able 2 get a job 2 earn a little money on the side, so how wud i b able 2 pay 4 living expenses and gas? i noe i can take out loans but i prefer not to do that but that may be my only option cuz im gonna b away from home.

any otha advice on managing finances during med school wud b appreciated

thx a million ppl

aiight 1

Hey you're not texting your ****ing girlfriend dude. Learn how to ask a question intelligently and you might get some good info. Most people aren't going to bother trying to read that illiterate shyt.

omg like f1nanc1al a1d 1s calcul@ted to help c0ver c0st of l1v1ng!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
"You can ***** yourself out to 1000 fat chicks for $50 each... or 50 REALLY fat chicks for $1000 each"

giggity

omg like f1nanc1al a1d 1s calcul@ted to help c0ver c0st of l1v1ng!!!

Hey you're not texting your ****ing girlfriend dude. Learn how to ask a question intelligently and you might get some good info. Most people aren't going to bother trying to read that illiterate shyt.

Well, we've managed to kick the a$$hole factor up a notch on SDN; he's just looking for answer to his question. If his grammar bothers you that badly simply ignore it and move onto the next thread.

Well, we've managed to kick the a$$hole factor up a notch on SDN; he's just looking for answer to his question. If his grammar bothers you that badly simply ignore it and move onto the next thread.

Hey I answered the OP's question. I just felt like putting as much effort into typing my response as the OP did.

OP: Your financial aid is calculated to include cost of living, including rent, transport cost, and food. For families with children, it is often short or at least quite tight, but it is generally just fine for the signal student or couples.

OK... here is a good response then: include in your living costs the cost of an editor.

I kant tipe - shud I go 2 med skool? Dox dont haf 2 tipe rite?

wow wat the hell is wrong with u ppl...so wat if i type like this...it dsnt matter. im jus askin a question.

i type nd write properly wen i do college wrk..but who cares...dis is jus a forum

the a$$hole factor on sdn has definitely went up more than 1 notch....

Hey I answered the OP's question. I just felt like putting as much effort into typing my response as the OP did.

OP: Your financial aid is calculated to include cost of living, including rent, transport cost, and food. For families with children, it is often short or at least quite tight, but it is generally just fine for the signal student or couples.

ty 4 ur 2nd response. ur 1st one was s****y tho.

and..itz "single" not "signal" :smuggrin:

wow wat the hell is wrong with u ppl...so wat if i type like this...it dsnt matter. im jus askin a question.

i type nd write properly wen i do college wrk..but who cares...dis is jus a forum

the a$$hole factor on sdn has definitely went up more than 1 notch....

As someone mentioned before, schools generally account for living expenses along with your tuition. You are generally able to get loans up to the full amount of living expenses and tuition. Now, it won't cover new car payments or a mortgage, but it WILL cover food and rent and books.

As for writing, the amount of time you save by typing like that is equivalent to the amount of EXTRA time we have to take reading it to understand what you're saying. Make it easy for people to read, or they may get snarky.

exactly. dis iz the only sensible response here

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone mentioned before, schools generally account for living expenses along with your tuition. You are generally able to get loans up to the full amount of living expenses and tuition. Now, it won't cover new car payments or a mortgage, but it WILL cover food and rent and books.

As for writing, the amount of time you save by typing like that is equivalent to the amount of EXTRA time we have to take reading it to understand what you're saying. Make it easy for people to read, or they may get snarky.

thx 4 ur reply i appreciate it

whats so hard about the way i type...

is typing the word "what" like "wat" so difficult to understand?

is typing the word "your" like "ur" so hard to decipher??

"it's" = "itz"

comprende? si o no?? wow for intelligent medical students im quite astonished that the majority of u find it difficult to "decode" what i say.

"it's" = "itz"

comprende? si o no?? wow for intelligent medical students im quite astonished that the majority of u find it difficult to "decode" what i say.

Ohimsureyoucanreadwhatimwritingbutdoesntthistakeyouafewextramsofbrainprocessingpower?

thn imgn if i gt rd uv al teh vwls an msspl sum wurds, isnt tht a pain?

"it's" = "itz"

itsnotsobadidon'tknowwhaturproblemiswe'rejustnotrealhappyaboutreadingalphawbewtsoupoflettersandshyt,knameandogitznosohardtojusttypeproperandshyte,imeanshiatttdog, alittlepunctuationaiwaoitionwudntbesobadnowwuddit?

To answer the OP's question...the amount of money you get for living expenses is included in your financial aid package as a couple of others have stated.

Now, honestly I don't get why so many people here find it difficult to understand what you type, I can read it. It's not that bad. But I hope you don't write or type like that when you do essays, personal statements, etc. lol now that would be a problem.

itsnotsobadidon'tknowwhaturproblemiswe'rejustnotrealhappyaboutreadingalphawbewtsoupoflettersandshyt,knameandogitznosohardtojusttypeproperandshyte,imeanshiatttdog, alittlepunctuationaiwaoitionwudntbesobadnowwuddit?

talk bout goin overboard...my typing iz not dat bad

Ohimsureyoucanreadwhatimwritingbutdoesntthistakeyouafewextramsofbrainprocessingpower?

thn imgn if i gt rd uv al teh vwls an msspl sum wurds, isnt tht a pain?

same thing i said 2 prowler...u both r exaggeratin like heck ight itz not that bad

You can also get private loans if the financial aid is not enough.

As for the spelling...not a problem till he starts writing SOAP notes in lolcats

To the OP,

There are some people who work to either reduce the amount of loans they take or to cover expenses above and beyond the finaid office's calculated cost of attendance. I know of people in my class who work at Starbucks, some at restaurants, there are several EMTs who work shifts now and then to bring in some money. Overall, I'm sure this is a very small % of our total class. It's really up to you what you want to do. If you absolutely desperately don't want to take out extra loan money, you can try and work. Each person is different, so it's hard to say what toll that would take on your school work, and you'd only be able to do it during 1st and 2nd year.

same thing i said 2 prowler...u both r exaggeratin like heck ight itz not that bad

The problem is not that you're typing is completely unintelligible, it's that you are, through your own sheer laziness, making life harder for the very people to which you are appealing for help. Yes, this is an online discussion forum, and it has its own culture of commonly used abbreviations, but it's also populated by extremely bright adults.

Your words are all we have to judge you by, and thus far your presentation of yourself does not suggest an intelligent person with a serious question. I would expect such language in a place like this, but around here you are simply going to invite mockery.

So, if you want people to take you seriously, take the time and effort to write like a normal, educated individual with an IQ above 60. If you prefer to sound like a 12 year old girl who just got her first period, that's obviously your prerogative, but don't complain about the results.

"like heck ight?" What language are you speaking? You're not even just being lazy - you're intentionally misspelling words like "itz" probably to seem :cool:

Look if you don't use at least something similar to proper spelling and grammar it will stick out so much that people will not even read your question. It isn't about SDN being jerks, it is just reality, this is a professional forum. As such, cursing, nude pictures, discussions of inflammatory topics and so on are not appropriate.

If you can type correctly then I suggest you do so because no one will take you seriously if you do not. This isn't a text message or a humor website, you should treat posting on SDN like you would treat talking to one of your professors.

"it's" = "itz"

it's not so much that it's difficult as it just makes you look like an illiterate fool. when normal people read your typing, we assume it's coming from a fourteen year old girl texting to the forum from her pink jewel cell phone. if you want to go to med school, try acting like you're not a high school kid. otherwise, people are going to make fun of you - and they'll be absolutely justified in doing so.

Moving to Financial Aid as the OP asked a question about medical school financing.

I would be suprised if this wasn't a troll post. They op got 30 responses and padded 8 posts.

Did you know that kids in high school are actually turning in English assignments written in this type of text English. Some say that it may actually usurp the Queen's English.

Haha this thread is hilarious :laugh:

I would be suprised if this wasn't a troll post. They op got 30 responses and padded 8 posts.

Did you know that kids in high school are actually turning in English assignments written in this type of text English. Some say that it may actually usurp the Queen's English.

My friend in a high school english teacher in Compton right now and says he gets more assignments turned in in txt msg abbrvtn than actual full fledged english (of the students that even turn in assignments). He just doesn't know what to do about it, where to even start on talking to the class about that one.

My friend in a high school english teacher in Compton right now and says he gets more assignments turned in in txt msg abbrvtn than actual full fledged english (of the students that even turn in assignments). He just doesn't know what to do about it, where to even start on talking to the class about that one.
sux 4 him

Personally, I'd love to get my hands on the OP's personal statement, if/when he/she applies.

i want 2 go 2 med school cuz i noe i wud b a good dr omg dis iz my dreem

Let them make fun of you. You would help yourself not to join the medical world.

You have NO IDEA of what you got yourself into. Really. NO IDEA. I don't know how much longer I can do this and I'm a resident.

If med school costs you anymore than 100K for all four years, I would bail on the idea right now. You have to understand that you won't be paying back anything for a while.

Compare:
BS/BA - 40K after 4 years
Medicine - no income for 4 years, debt for years
Difference = 160K + tuition + interest
Residency - 45K vs. you could be moving up in your field.

Other BIG BIG opportunity cost: you lose most of your twenties to this BS. You will start considering a whole weekend off as a golden weekend. Your ability to keep in touch with friends and family becomes limited. Medicine is not the way to go. Medicine just ruins your life outside, but it's okay if you don't care to have a life outside (ex: most surgeons).

Choose your fate wisely. I can't rewind, but I can spread the message.

The OP has but 30 posts. It is quite possible that he/she has not yet adjusted to the culture of SDN or was innocently in a hurry. I suggest we be more patient with the OP. The act of laziness or ignorance as some put it is no worse than the hostility currently being displayed.

This thread is ridiculously funny.

I've been laughing lawlessly from the second post!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: