HPSP and Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Detective SnowBucket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading up on deciding if the HPSP scholarship is right for you but I can't seem to find anyone talking about putting it on their application for med schools; any reason a med school would look down on (or view positively) someone with this on their resume?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I've been reading up on deciding if the HPSP scholarship is right for you but I can't seem to find anyone talking about putting it on their application for med schools; any reason a med school would look down on (or view positively) someone with this on their resume?

Most of my applicants put it on the application (it is a good thing, they know the tuition is now covered with no issues for four years...money always comes first!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I met a lot of HPSP graduates in the Army and Navy. I served 12 years Army and 8 years Navy.

They were all strong doctors and seemed relatively pleased with the program. They may have hesitated to state any concerns because of differences in rank and age, but I think military medicine is a model for our country: I voted for Jill Stein.

Call prn: 757 377 7775. H. E. Butler III M.D., F.A.C.S., CDR, U.S.N.R.; Instructor, Psychiatry, E.V.M.S.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of my applicants put it on the application (it is a good thing, they know the tuition is now covered with no issues for four years...money always comes first!)

I have interviewed for our local medical school. As far as I know, no one on the committee has opposed HPSP or seen it as a factor in admissions-decisions.

Given the uncertainty in medical funding in our country at this time, HPSP makes sense. My only criticism of it is the interest rate allowed private lenders on a government-guaranteed loan: Often more than a mortgage.

If you are interested in this topic, read "The Healing of America" by T.R.Reid.

H. E. Butler III M.D., F.A.C.S.
Commander, U.S.N.R., Fleet Reserve
Former Lieutenant Colonel, U.S.A.R.
Instructor, Psychiatry, E.V.M.S.
HButler@postdotHarvarddotedu

I brought it up in my interviews when asked about debt and such but didn't list in on my app. I dont think someone should claim they are doing HPSP until they've been to MEPS and actually been selected by their board and such. Until these things happen there's a chance you'll be PDQed for med stuff or simply ultimately choose a different route.. it's not right to claim HPSP and future military service until it's signed off, IMO at least.

I brought it up in my interviews when asked about debt and such but didn't list in on my app. I dont think someone should claim they are doing HPSP until they've been to MEPS and actually been selected by their board and such. Until these things happen there's a chance you'll be PDQed for med stuff or simply ultimately choose a different route.. it's not right to claim HPSP and future military service until it's signed off, IMO at least.

That is true, you should be honest and say you are "applying for the scholarship"