Hpsp Faq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I go HPSP, I've been told I will not get activated until I am done learning. I never thought that was true.

So, I go to four years med school, then the one year Army rotation and then
Either get the general surgery residency or get put into a GMO spot for two years?
I have yet to run into anyone in the army who has done a GMO tour without having chosen it themselves because they ended up not enjoying their residency field that they picked.

The army has pretty much done away with the GMO thing...Navy and AF still do it though.

Ditto with the deployment while still in residency, I have not even heard of anyone in the army getting pulled from residency to deploy...period. I think tha the army reserves the right to do so, but they haven't that I know of.

As far as getting the residency that you want, your guess is as good as mine. I imagine the odds are pretty good in the army.

FAP isn't too bad either, although the pay out is much less than HPSP (which matters if you go to a private school).

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how the selection criteria differs between current AD applicants and civilian applicants for HPSP?

I keep reading that people have already gotten scholarship offers from recruiters, while Mr. Kush at the Air Force Personnel Center has told me the board won't discuss my acceptance until mid April.

I have a 3.3 UGPA with 29 MCAT. I've been accepted to the Medical University of South Carolina. I've been an AD Air Force officer for 2 years and will have good references from military officers. What are my chances for acceptance to HPSP? Would I have a better chance of acceptance at USUHS?

I also have thought about applying for a service transfer to the Army HPSP from the Air Force, but Mr. Kush told me that was not possible. Does anyone know otherwise?

All help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the selection criteria differs between current AD applicants and civilian applicants for HPSP?

I keep reading that people have already gotten scholarship offers from recruiters, while Mr. Kush at the Air Force Personnel Center has told me the board won't discuss my acceptance until mid April.

I have a 3.3 UGPA with 29 MCAT. I've been accepted to the Medical University of South Carolina. I've been an AD Air Force officer for 2 years and will have good references from military officers. What are my chances for acceptance to HPSP? Would I have a better chance of acceptance at USUHS?

I also have thought about applying for a service transfer to the Army HPSP from the Air Force, but Mr. Kush told me that was not possible. Does anyone know otherwise?

All help is appreciated!

With your grades, MCATs and prior service, you will get the scholarship. Switching services is a little more dicey. It is possible, but difficult.

With your grades, MCATs and prior service, you will get the scholarship. Switching services is a little more dicey. It is possible, but difficult.

If you are AF, it should be much easier to switch to another service if you want to. In 2006 they were paying junior officers to switch or get out and needed volunteers to do so.

I was active duty Army and applied to both Army and Air Force HPSP scholarships. To switch from army to AF the recruiter gave me some DoD form to have the first 05 in my chain of command sign it saying I could be released to another service if selected for HPSP...not sure if it really would of worked if I did choose to go that route.

The hardest part about the process is getting into medical school...after that with your acceptance letter, you can get a scholarship from any of the branches. The AF will actually run out of them by late spring...early summer so you need to apply early. With army and navy you can apply later and get the scholarship, but you don't want to rush it since there is a ton of paperwork involved...like 3X as much as when I signed up when I did ROTC.

(they may tell you that there is some cut off score or something, but the bottom line is that you got into med school...which is usually good enough for them)

I posted an excel calculator in another thread that will add up your total cost of medical school education and also shows what your total benefit would be taking the HPSP scholarship. It provides a good estimate of what you are really getting out of it from a financial standpoint.

While it is ill-advised to do anything just for the money; money is a factor in many things like choosing a career, choosing a home, choosing investments, etc...so I hope it helps.

It is the third post in this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=504710

Hello

I just wanted to say that I commissioned last Thursday, and am planning on using the HPSP for med school. This forum was instrumental in my decision, and there is some really great info here.

Thanks, all you guys who are honest and open here. I know you're trying to help, and I appreciate it. I am glad that you shared, because I know a lot more because of this site than all of the info from the recruiters combined.

Hello

I just wanted to say that I commissioned last Thursday, and am planning on using the HPSP for med school. This forum was instrumental in my decision, and there is some really great info here.

Thanks, all you guys who are honest and open here. I know you're trying to help, and I appreciate it. I am glad that you shared, because I know a lot more because of this site than all of the info from the recruiters combined.

:welcome: Good luck!

Ok - question about OBC.

I am reading the Student Evaluation Plan (6-8-C20) for AMEDD Officer Basic Course, dated 5/23/2007.

On page 4 it states that the course length during peacetime and mobilization is 26 days. This certainly isn't 6 weeks like I have read everywhere else. Any ideas as to the discrepancy?

Here is the link: http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/sep/6-8-C20 (RC)_SEP_23_May_2007.pdf

Ok - question about OBC.

I am reading the Student Evaluation Plan (6-8-C20) for AMEDD Officer Basic Course, dated 5/23/2007.

On page 4 it states that the course length during peacetime and mobilization is 26 days. This certainly isn't 6 weeks like I have read everywhere else. Any ideas as to the discrepancy?

Here is the link: http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/sep/6-8-C20 (RC)_SEP_23_May_2007.pdf

I see on page 4 and 5 that it says the course is 6 weeks in the document you posted. It may be 26 days of instruction M-F, which would make it five weeks long a day...plus travel and a federal holiday would probably make it 6 weeks in length.

Does anyone know if HPSP students are allowed to apply for combined civilian residency program such as EM/FP or IM/EM?

Thanks

Does anyone know if HPSP students are allowed to apply for combined civilian residency program such as EM/FP or IM/EM?

Thanks

Only if the JSGME approves positions for the dual program. Hence, if it is not on the Integrated Forecast Board (IFB), then the answer is No.

Thanks

FWIW, there is only one combined EM/FM program in the country in Delaware. This year they interviewed 6 applicants for 2 slots. One of those slots went to an IMG. That being said, I've heard that some FM programs will give you a year credit if you are already BC/BE in EM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking the military physical soon and wondered if there was anything I need to be aware of going in? Also, does anyone know the nature of the drug test: i.e. whether it is a urine test or what?
thanks

I am taking the military physical soon and wondered if there was anything I need to be aware of going in? Also, does anyone know the nature of the drug test: i.e. whether it is a urine test or what?
thanks

1.) it's going to be a crappy day.
2.) wear underwear.
3.) drug test is by urine i believe, though they do take your blood at some point.

thanks
Also
1. Be patient because you will probably wait around alot.
2. Don't be supprised to be the oldest one in the room.

1.) it's going to be a crappy day.
2.) wear underwear.
3.) drug test is by urine i believe, though they do take your blood at some point.

oh i forgot to mention that the urine test is directly observed, meaning that someone will watch you pee into your cup.

i imagine that's a lot weirder for the females, though.

I tried looking this up, but could not find a reliable up to date source so I thought I would ask.

Two clarifications needed with the HPSP AirForce:

1) Is payback really 1:1 with school to service OR is it 1:1 active + 1:1 reserves after active is served?
-I was under the impression that it was 1:1 + 1:1 reserve time after completion of active duty obligation, but a friend in the process disagrees.

2) Is application for military residency mandatory with forced acceptance of military residency over civilian if accepted?
-Again, I was under the impression that it is mandatory, but my friend is insistent that they can select a civilian residency over a military no matter what.

The information I am aware of may have changed so I thought that I should ask here.

Thanks for your help

I tried looking this up, but could not find a reliable up to date source so I thought I would ask.

Two clarifications needed with the HPSP AirForce:

1) Is payback really 1:1 with school to service OR is it 1:1 active + 1:1 reserves after active is served?
-I was under the impression that it was 1:1 + 1:1 reserve time after completion of active duty obligation, but a friend in the process disagrees.

2) Is application for military residency mandatory with forced acceptance of military residency over civilian if accepted?
-Again, I was under the impression that it is mandatory, but my friend is insistent that they can select a civilian residency over a military no matter what.

The information I am aware of may have changed so I thought that I should ask here.

Thanks for your help

All contracts are for 8 years total, split between Active Duty and Individual Ready Reserves. For a 4-year scholarship, you owe 4 years active, 4 years IRR. A 3-year scholarship is 3 years Active and 5 years IRR. The Active Duty Service Obligation can be lengthened if you have a residency that is longer than your school ADSO. For example, if you took a 3-year scholarship and did a General Surgery residency (1-year internship + 4-year residency), then you would owe 4 years (4>3) after completion of the residency. You would burn up IRR time during the residency and internship, if they are military GME programs.

You are required to apply for a military residency. You can also request deferral for civilian training. If, however, the military selects you for an active duty residency, then you have to withdraw from the civilian match, and go train where you are told. If you are given a deferral for civilian training, then it must be in what you requested (as in, you cannot request deferral for civilian Neurosurgery, then decide to match into civilian Pediatrics).

All contracts are for 8 years total, split between Active Duty and Individual Ready Reserves. For a 4-year scholarship, you owe 4 years active, 4 years IRR. A 3-year scholarship is 3 years Active and 5 years IRR. The Active Duty Service Obligation can be lengthened if you have a residency that is longer than your school ADSO. For example, if you took a 3-year scholarship and did a General Surgery residency (1-year internship + 4-year residency), then you would owe 4 years (4>3) after completion of the residency. You would burn up IRR time during the residency and internship, if they are military GME programs.

You are required to apply for a military residency. You can also request deferral for civilian training. If, however, the military selects you for an active duty residency, then you have to withdraw from the civilian match, and go train where you are told. If you are given a deferral for civilian training, then it must be in what you requested (as in, you cannot request deferral for civilian Neurosurgery, then decide to match into civilian Pediatrics).

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

Later

What exactly is the GMO? Is it essentially like a 3rd and 4th year of rotations around medical specialties (similar to what you do in 3rd and 4th year in medical school)? If you do 2 years as a GMO, how likely do your chances go up for landing a more coveted/competitive residency?

What exactly is the GMO? Is it essentially like a 3rd and 4th year of rotations around medical specialties (similar to what you do in 3rd and 4th year in medical school)? If you do 2 years as a GMO, how likely do your chances go up for landing a more coveted/competitive residency?
GMO = General medical officer
After internship you could get the assignment of GMO and serve in a variety of capacities (in primary care). Mostly the job boils down to sick call and paperwork (there are exceptions of course). Your experience will depend on where you go and what they want you to do. You wont be rotating anywhere unless you count rotating over to the sandbox.

Responses in Bold

What exactly is the GMO?

A GMO is a PGY1 year only trained doc (aka Have not completly residency). While not completly absent in the Army, these spots are more likely to occur in the Air Force and Navy. These people are generally not selected for residency training by the military.

Is it essentially like a 3rd and 4th year of rotations around medical specialties (similar to what you do in 3rd and 4th year in medical school)?

No. See above. The GMO tour is done for a 2 year minimum after you complete med school and your first year of residency.

If you do 2 years as a GMO, how likely do your chances go up for landing a more coveted/competitive residency?

You would be significantly more competitive, but this still does not guarantee the residency of your choice.

So a PGY1 is the first year of your residency, or it is something you have to do before you are selected for residency? When are most people pulled/selected to do the GMO?
As a GMO, are you not being trained/keeping up with your skills during this 2 year time? What do you mean on sick call?

So a PGY1 is the first year of your residency, or it is something you have to do before you are selected for residency? When are most people pulled/selected to do the GMO?
As a GMO, are you not being trained/keeping up with your skills during this 2 year time? What do you mean on sick call?

PGY1 (post graduate year 1) is the internship year (first year of residency). Sometimes you will see it called FYGME which stand for First Year Graduate Medical Education.

Sick call is usually a predetermined time each day when soldiers, sailors, or marines who feel ill show up at the clinic to be seen. As a GMO you could be one of the individuals evaluating and treating these individuals. For example, when I was in Air Force basic training we had sick call Monday through Saturday at 6:00 a.m. Once I was very sick (106 fever) and managed to drag myself down to sick call. There were two PAs seeing patients. One was this incredibly abrasive woman who loved to scream at recruits (she was worse than our TIs) and the other was a kind middle age man. Luckily I got the kind PA and after seing me he shipped me off to the hospital for the day. Anyway, that story doesn't really inform you but it was a memorable example of differences in bedside manner.

I was told by my Air Force recruiter (whom I don't think I trust) that the HPSP quota has been filled for the year and that they aren't accepting anyone else for the '08-'09 school year. Does anyone know if that's true? If so, would that only include AF? Could I still do Army or Navy? My application is already like 90% complete and I was just waiting to get scheduled for a physical when he told me. I'm a little disappointed now...

I was told by my Air Force recruiter (whom I don't think I trust) that the HPSP quota has been filled for the year and that they aren't accepting anyone else for the '08-'09 school year. Does anyone know if that's true? If so, would that only include AF? Could I still do Army or Navy? My application is already like 90% complete and I was just waiting to get scheduled for a physical when he told me. I'm a little disappointed now...

unfortunately, i think it's true. AF had to cut a number of spots so that they could offer the 20k bonus.

i haven't heard the same of the army or navy. you could give their recruiters a call.

The last update I heard was that as of April, the Navy had filled 38% of its HPSP quota. They didn't fill all the HPSP slots last year, either.

Anyone know how close the Army is to filling their quota?

Are dental students in the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) required to do a residency after graduation or can they go straight into general dentistry?

Are dental students in the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) required to do a residency after graduation or can they go straight into general dentistry?

I'm pretty sure y'all would just go straight into general dentistry, unless there was a strong desire on your part for additional training, and the military had a strong need for that particular specialty. No, I don't have any actual facts to back this up (nor have I bothered to look), but it just makes the most sense.

Dental HPSP students are required to apply for the 1 year AEGD residency, but they are able to turn it down if accepted.

sorry, i'm still confused about the whole GMO deal. i think i asked the wrong questions.
so, after you graduate medical school you go onto the FYGME (which is the first year or your residency correct?) Then, suppose you are in the Army. Do you then finish your residency or maybe you get pulled from it to do a GMO tour? When you finish the GMO tour, do you essentially pick up where you left off with your residency? Also, do GMO years count towards payback time?
thanks a lot

sorry, i'm still confused about the whole GMO deal. i think i asked the wrong questions.
so, after you graduate medical school you go onto the FYGME (which is the first year or your residency correct?) Then, suppose you are in the Army. Do you then finish your residency or maybe you get pulled from it to do a GMO tour? When you finish the GMO tour, do you essentially pick up where you left off with your residency? Also, do GMO years count towards payback time?
thanks a lot
For the water lovin' folks, this is how it works (maybe it's similar for Army):
1. You apply for and are accepted for an internship (1 year).
2. You have to re-apply for the residency or to another one (like path which doesn't have a specific internship).
3. If you get it, Great! If not, you may be headed for a GMO tour or two and you will have to re-apply to the program you wanted (unless you changed your mind).
4. Your time as a GMO counts as payback, but you could acquire more time in residency if residency is longer than your time left. (example - You do a 2 year GMO after internship leaving you with 2 years of payback. You do 4 years of surgery residency and acquire 2 more years of payback, leaving you with a 4 year commitment AFTER residency.)

For the water lovin' folks, this is how it works (maybe it's similar for Army):
1. You apply for and are accepted for an internship (1 year).
2. You have to re-apply for the residency or to another one (like path which doesn't have a specific internship).
3. If you get it, Great! If not, you may be headed for a GMO tour or two and you will have to re-apply to the program you wanted (unless you changed your mind).
4. Your time as a GMO counts as payback, but you could acquire more time in residency if residency is longer than your time left. (example - You do a 2 year GMO after internship leaving you with 2 years of payback. You do 4 years of surgery residency and acquire 2 more years of payback, leaving you with a 4 year commitment AFTER residency.)

I think most of the Army residency programs are straight through , in that if you are accepted there for your internship year (as long as you don't wash out) then you can continue straight through without re-applying. There are soem transitional spots or residencies like Radiology that require you to be accepted after your internship.

Hello

Congrats on your commission....I was just wondering if you (or anybody else) remember the time frame it took to get you commissioned....
I have all my paper work completed, and as the phrase goes with the military, I am hurry up and waiting....I've been told I was going for my physical twice and have gotten it cancelled on me twice now because they keep discovering more things they need to get for my file....
After you get cleared from the physical and all the paperwork is in....how long does it take to get officially selected for the scholarship? How long til you are commissioned then?
Thanks all!!!
<3

Congrats on your commission....I was just wondering if you (or anybody else) remember the time frame it took to get you commissioned....
I have all my paper work completed, and as the phrase goes with the military, I am hurry up and waiting....I've been told I was going for my physical twice and have gotten it cancelled on me twice now because they keep discovering more things they need to get for my file....
After you get cleared from the physical and all the paperwork is in....how long does it take to get officially selected for the scholarship? How long til you are commissioned then?
Thanks all!!!
<3

I don't know about the Army, but I went for my initial physical in December and went back for a consult about a month and a half later (Jan). I had to get LASIK waivered after that. Then, I got my acceptance probably sometime mid-March and had to submit background check/fingerprint stuff. I got commissioned late April. I took a while making my decision, so there was a delay for that.

So. . . from date of first MEPS to Commissioning . . .about 5 months
from LASIK waiver submission to acceptance . . .about 2 months
from acceptance to commissioning (with decision making time in there) . . . about 1.5 months

I tried to search for this on the forum but found no real definite answer. I am going to buy my uniforms for OTS and was wondering the minimum I would need to buy and the cost of the uniforms. Since the scholarship won't kick in until Sept., I need to know if I can afford the uniforms(I am still a struggling student:eek:
Thanks!

I tried to search for this on the forum but found no real definite answer. I am going to buy my uniforms for OTS and was wondering the minimum I would need to buy and the cost of the uniforms. Since the scholarship won't kick in until Sept., I need to know if I can afford the uniforms(I am still a struggling student:eek:
Thanks!

I think I have read that you can get by with two. I like to have three at least. 1 to wear, 1 clean and ready to go, 1 being washed.

Hello all-

I have been following this forum for quite some time and have enjoyed the information. I am considering NAVY HPSP, but have a few questions.

1. I am unclear how the selection of internship / residency is influenced by HPSP. In fact, a top concern of mine is NOT getting the residency of my choice because of quotas or caps that are dictated by the NAVY. For example, let’s pretend I want to go ER Medicine. If, when I am applying for residency, the NAVY only needs X number of ER physicians. If I am not one of the lucky few chosen, what happens? Is this a rational fear to have? Are my chances jeopardized by choosing the military as option for medical school and residency?

2. I am still unclear about the one year of Transitional Internship and the multiple year G.M.O. tour. Are both required for students who have completed medical school, but are still waiting to start residency? Are the Transitional Internship and GMO tour a negative or positive aspect of the NAVY HPSP program? Any additional information about this topic would be greatly appreciated, as my understanding is rather minimal.

3. How likely is Full Deferment as an option to complete residency? I have been told that my chances are “not good,” but I was curious to hear other comments about this. Is full deferment a better option to complete residency?

Sorry for the many questions. I would truly appreciate your thoughts and comments. Thank you very much.

Hello all-

I have been following this forum for quite some time and have enjoyed the information. I am considering NAVY HPSP, but have a few questions.

1. I am unclear how the selection of internship / residency is influenced by HPSP. In fact, a top concern of mine is NOT getting the residency of my choice because of quotas or caps that are dictated by the NAVY. For example, let’s pretend I want to go ER Medicine. If, when I am applying for residency, the NAVY only needs X number of ER physicians. If I am not one of the lucky few chosen, what happens? Is this a rational fear to have? Are my chances jeopardized by choosing the military as option for medical school and residency?

2. I am still unclear about the one year of Transitional Internship and the multiple year G.M.O. tour. Are both required for students who have completed medical school, but are still waiting to start residency? Are the Transitional Internship and GMO tour a negative or positive aspect of the NAVY HPSP program? Any additional information about this topic would be greatly appreciated, as my understanding is rather minimal.

3. How likely is Full Deferment as an option to complete residency? I have been told that my chances are “not good,” but I was curious to hear other comments about this. Is full deferment a better option to complete residency?

Sorry for the many questions. I would truly appreciate your thoughts and comments. Thank you very much.
Hello there, let me see if I can answer a few of these.

1. This is a valid concern; however, the Navy will not decide what kind of doctor you will be (Well sort of). The exception would be if you graduate a Peds residency and they make you fill an operational billet with adult pts. You may have to do an internship that you are less-than excited about doing (example: you want orthopedic surgery and get stuck with your 5th choice of FP any location)

2. Using your example, let's say you want EM. You could choose an internship in IM, transitional, or surgery. During your intership year you would apply for the EM residency (yes, it's like doing the match twice). If you get it, great. If not, it's off to GMO land for 2-4 years. Unless you get a deferment, internship will be required. Doing a GMO tour is not required but may be highly likely for you. Although there is supposed to be a steady reduction in GMO billets over the next couple of years. If you don't get into your residency of choice the first time around, doing a GMO tour can give you more "points" for the second time. Your chances of getting the residency should improve.

3. How likely the deferment is depends on alot of things like: What you want the deferment in. How many they are granting that particular cycle. How Saturn aligns with Pluto. It's hard to predict, and sometimes it can be difficult to find someone to get you this information.

Although there are changes coming with the number of GMO tours that are being given out, this always remains a concern.

Really, I don't see how the Navy intends to eliminate all GMO billets. I just don't think this is possible. What if you one year you have 50 people that want to do E Med. Are you going to grant 30-40 deferments? Not everybody can get what they want. Those who can not get what want, will go into a GMO tour. It seems the Navy has the most options for GMOs: Flight Surgery, Dive Medical Officer, regular GMO.

These are all valid concerns that you bring up and should be considered a deal breaker by anybody that is not comfortable with the possibility of having their medical education interrupted. I would actually sooner recommend the FAP program over the HPSP program, just because you have the freedom to choose your specialty and location. The financial benefit of HPSP beats FAP, but I don't think you can put a price on doing the specialty that you want to do.

While I don't think that GMO tours are absolutely horrible, they do keep you from doing what you want to do. In the AF, happiness in flight surgery was usually based on where you were stationed and with what kind of squadron. I would imagine it would be the same in the Navy/Army. Most of the GMOs stationed with fighter squadrons or special ops were very happy.

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that doing a military resideny will count toward your IRR time, since it's active duty and technically counts as payback (although you also accrue time simultaneously).

So if you sign up for a four year contract (hence also owe an additional 4 years IRR), and then do a 4 year military residency, you'll come out of residency still owing 4 years active duty, but no longer owing any additional IRR time beyond that.

I just want to get the facts straight.
1) So, IRR time is the time that you are on reserve during med school, correct?
2) If I have a 3 year scholarship, I only need to do 3 years of ADT. But, if my military residency is let's say 5 years, then I would have to owe an extra year of ADT?
3) I also thought, that if you do a deferred civilian residency, then you have to do additional ADT for the years in civilian residency, is this true?

I have a 3 year AFHPSP scholarship and was thinking about taking the $20,000 bonus that they are offering until October. The only stipulation to this is that I have to resign my contract as a 4 year HPSP student. But, after reading the threads for Military Medicine, I am kind of skeptical about signing up. Does anyone thing the $20,000 dollars is worth an extra year? :confused:

1) So, IRR time is the time that you are on reserve during med school, correct?

You are technically in the reserves during medical school. When you do the HPSP, you sign an eight year contract, which includes active-duty service obligation (ADSO) and inactive ready reserve (IRR) time. Whatever time you aren't doing ADSO, you spend in IRR. Let's say you have a four year ADSO. After you serve four years in active duty, you spend the rest of the eight year contract in IRR, unless you do an active-duty residency, which counts toward IRR time. So let's say that you have a four year ADSO and do a four year active duty residency; that amounts to zero IRR, as far as I understand it. However, if you have a four year ADSO, but do a civilian residency, you are going to owe four years in IRR.

There is a chance that you could get mobilized while in IRR, but the way that the people I talked put it was that it would have to be WWIII for it happen. I've never heard of any doctors being deployed from IRR.

2) If I have a 3 year scholarship, I only need to do 3 years of ADT. But, if my military residency is let's say 5 years, then I would have to owe an extra year of ADT?

That's my understanding of it. Your ADSO is dependent on whatever is longer, the years of sponsorship during medical school, or residency. I'm taking a 3-year scholarship, so that means I will have a 3-year ADSO, unless I am doing an active duty residency that is 5 years or greater (for some reason, I was told by my USAF recruiter that you get one "free" year of residency (internship is free?), which I don't understand completely). Anyway, if I do a 7 year residency, let's say NS, then I'll have a 6-year ADSO, as far as I understand it. However, regardless, I took the CSAB bonus, so I automatically have at least a 4-year ADSO, anyway, even though I took at 3-year scholarship...

3) I also thought, that if you do a deferred civilian residency, then you have to do additional ADT for the years in civilian residency, is this true?

No, not as far as I understand it. Since you aren't being sponsored by the scholarship (not getting paid by them) during a civilian residency, you don't accrue additional ADSO, but you probably don't accrue IRR, either.

That's my understanding of it. I may be wrong, since I'm just starting the process. Maybe some with more experience can correct my mistakes, if any.

Just to comment on the previous message, you only incur additional time if you do the military sponsored civilian residency, where you do a civilian residency and receive the same pay you would as if you did the military residency. From what I was told at my briefing at COT (class 08-04) most people don't do this because of the increased ADSO.

If you do deferred civilian residency, you do not incur any additional time, but you also don't receive any military pay.

That's my understanding of it. Your ADSO is dependent on I'm taking a 3-year scholarship, so that means I will have a 3-year ADSO, unless I am doing an active duty residency that is 5 years or greater (for some reason, I was told by my USAF recruiter that you get one "free" year of residency (internship is free?), which I don't understand completely).

They call it "free" year because they look at the residency as additional training that they are providing you. For each year you are in residency you incur one year of ADSO, but that year incurred is considered fulfilled BY that year in residency. This process is limited by how long your ADSO is, so if you have 3 years, you can only do incur/pay three years in residency. They give you one "free" year just so you can have the option to do a four year residency which will open up more options for you. Basically it's just something they do to make everything pretty on paper. This probably confused you more than it helped but good luck.

I have a 3 year AFHPSP scholarship and was thinking about taking the $20,000 bonus that they are offering until October. The only stipulation to this is that I have to resign my contract as a 4 year HPSP student. But, after reading the threads for Military Medicine, I am kind of skeptical about signing up. Does anyone thing the $20,000 dollars is worth an extra year? :confused:
that 20K pretax meaning you will actually end up with something less, usually the military automatically witholds 25% for taxes, so you'll probably see 15k. I do not recommend you sign up for another year for 20K alone. Is that all you get for the 4th year or do they also reimburse you for past paid tuition and the stipend? that might make a difference, but 20K alone, no way.

that 20K pretax meaning you will actually end up with something less, usually the military automatically witholds 25% for taxes, so you'll probably see 15k. I do not recommend you sign up for another year for 20K alone. Is that all you get for the 4th year or do they also reimburse you for past paid tuition and the stipend? that might make a difference, but 20K alone, no way.

Yup, all you get, as far as I know, for taking the CSAB bonus, is $20K pretax (you'll receive less than that, probably around $14-15K, due to taxes being withheld) and an automatic four year ADSO, even if you are taking a three year scholarship. If don't plan on staying active-duty for at least that long and just want to get out as soon as possible, then perhaps it may not be worth it for you. If you are taking a four year scholarship, then you already have a four year ADSO, so it would be unquestionable worth taking the CSAB, since no additional obligation would be incurred.

Last edited: