Hpsp Faq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup, all you get, as far as I know, for taking the CSAB bonus, is $20K pretax (you'll receive less than that, probably around $14-15K, due to taxes being withheld) and an automatic four year ADSO, even if you are taking a three year scholarship. If don't plan on staying active-duty for at least that long and just want to get out as soon as possible, then perhaps it may not be worth it for you. If you are taking a four year scholarship, then you already have a four year ADSO, so it would be unquestionable worth taking the CSAB, since no additional obligation would be incurred.

Completely agree. Here is how I received my $20k:

First Deposit: $6498
Second Deposit: $6498 (1 day after first deposit)
Third Deposit: $1444 (3 days after first deposit)

Total after taxes: $14,440 (27.8% tax)

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who decided to take the HPSP: how did you ultimately decide?

Did you guys have a chance to shadow/talk to military physicians? I like the idea of serving my country but I don't want to do anything I will regret. Most who post on this board seem to really regret their decision to enter mil med but I have no way of knowing if it really is how things are or just how a few people feel.

I bought some first year books today.

For one of them there was a paperback verson that was cheaper and a hardback version w/cd rom that was more expensive (same book, same edition, etc).

I bought the hardback. (more durable, had CD ROM, and looked better on the bookshelf :)

Does HPSP care if we get the more expensive version of the books? Do we have to justify it in any way? Or are they pretty much oblivious like they are to everything else.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought some first year books today.

For one of them there was a paperback verson that was cheaper and a hardback version w/cd rom that was more expensive (same book, same edition, etc).

I bought the hardback. (more durable, had CD ROM, and looked better on the bookshelf :)

Does HPSP care if we get the more expensive version of the books? Do we have to justify it in any way? Or are they pretty much oblivious like they are to everything else.

Thanks.
As long as your dean signs off on it, you are good to go. If you REALLY want to get technical and impeccably ethical, you should only buy the one required by the school. If they don't specify, buy the one best suited to your needs. It's always nice to save Uncle Sam a buck or two, but if there is justifiable added value for the price (e.g., the CD rom) I don't see any problems going with the more expensive version.

Greetings,

Can anyone tell me if HPSP students are allowed to transfer schools? I'm considering transfering schools for family reasons and wanted to get an idea.

Thanks!

Does anyone know about the HPSP restrictions on schools that require service in the state following medical school? I'm an Alaska resident, and the University of Washington WWAMI program requires graduates to serve in Alaska for a few years or repay a loan. Anyone know of schools the HPSP won't accept?

Does anyone know about the HPSP restrictions on schools that require service in the state following medical school? I'm an Alaska resident, and the University of Washington WWAMI program requires graduates to serve in Alaska for a few years or repay a loan. Anyone know of schools the HPSP won't accept?

I think your bigger concern should be whether or not the University of Washington will allow you to participate in the HPSP. Although I am not certain, I would guess that the military would not have a problem with your attending the University of Washington. However, you would be required to participate in the military match as a 4th year med student. Uncle Sam would definitely win in a battle with U of W. If you have been accepted by U of W, and are considering the HPSP, I strongly recommend you talk with the Office of Student Affairs there before taking any further action with HPSP.

I'm currently active duty, and I owe a few more years, so my only option is HPSP. The Alaska program allows deferment of service for HPSP, but I think the Air Force might have a problem with it . . .

I'm currently active duty, and I owe a few more years, so my only option is HPSP. The Alaska program allows deferment of service for HPSP, but I think the Air Force might have a problem with it . . .

I guess I'm not understanding where the conflict exists then...if you are allowed to defer your service in Alaska for participation in HPSP, why would the HPSP have a problem with it?

Since I am curious, what would the University of Washington be providing to you in exchange for your service - admission to their School of Medicine alone? What is the financial benefit to you?

Greetings,

Can anyone tell me if HPSP students are allowed to transfer schools? I'm considering transfering schools for family reasons and wanted to get an idea.

Thanks!

As long as you talk to them in advance, it should not be a problem.

I guess I'm not understanding where the conflict exists then...if you are allowed to defer your service in Alaska for participation in HPSP, why would the HPSP have a problem with it?

Since I am curious, what would the University of Washington be providing to you in exchange for your service - admission to their School of Medicine alone? What is the financial benefit to you?

The HPSP contract states you cannot owe time to any other entity. You can go to U Dub, but you may have to pay out of state rates. (HPSP has no problem with that.

The HPSP contract states you cannot owe time to any other entity. You can go to U Dub, but you may have to pay out of state rates. (HPSP has no problem with that.

I forgot about that little bit. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Yep, I see that in the regs there. I'm still trying to track down whether they'll just let me pay OOS tuition and avoid an obligation to serve in Alaska. I plan on returning anyways, but I hope this doesn't prevent me from going to UW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately here is what UAA sent me:
"At this time we are not aware of any means through which Alaska WWAMI students can avail themselves of military scholarships. The restrictions that prevent this are those of the military scholarship programs. Those military scholarship programs will not allow any other service obligation, and the State of Alaska imposes a service obligation on Alaska WWAMI students. The State of Alaska is willing to defer that obligation until after any military obligation has been completed. However, US military scholarship programs have told us that they cannot allow any obligation, even one that can be deferred. Again, this is a decision of the military scholarship program, and you should verify their requirements directly, with the scholarship program.

For years 2, 3 and 4 of Alaska WWAMI, students pay tuition to the University of Washington School of Medicine, and these are the years that accrue a payback obligation to the State of Alaska. (Tuition for year 1 is paid to the University of Alaska Anchorage and no payback obligation is incurred for that year.) The contract between the State of Alaska and the University of Washington School of Medicine does not authorize payment of out-of-state tuition by the student; it specifies that students will pay in-state tuition. In any case, there is no provision that allows a student to opt out of the payback requirement no matter what tuition is paid.

Alaska WWAMI has repeatedly requested that military scholarship programs alter their stance to allow our students to participate, making use of the deferment option for payback to Alaska, but we have been unsuccessful in getting those requirements changed."

Dammit.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm applying to about 15, but I was hoping to do this program. UW is the only one that gives preference to Alaska residents. Well I'll just have to get in to a different school.

Last edited:
yes, I'm Applying To About 15, But I Was Hoping To Do This Program. Uw Is The Only One That Gives Preference To Alaska Residents. Well I'll Just Have To Get In To A Different School.

You Can Do Iiiittttt!!!!

haha thanks for the vote of confidence. I guess we'll find out in the next few months . . .

So with HPSP, if I take the scholarship for 4 years, I go through med school, choose whatever residency I want (or do I have to choose a military residency?), and THEN pay it back with 4 years of service?

So with HPSP, if I take the scholarship for 4 years, I go through med school, choose whatever residency I want (or do I have to choose a military residency?), and THEN pay it back with 4 years of service?

dude. seriously. you need to do some research on your own. Read the HPSP paperwork, go to the website, contact a recruiter. Some of these questions are so basic to the concept of the mil programs that it just makes it seem like you are basing everything on the info given at this forum.

i understand that this place is a haven of information and i literally spent every second when i first considered the program reading archived posts. That said, you should check out the stickies and read them in depth...they have a huuge amount of info.

i also understand that the whole concept of military med might be new and exciting (as it was for me) and you might not feel comfortable contacting a recruiter, so i will try to help with your question.

"if I take the scholarship for 4 years, I go through med school"...
--> yes. at some point you go to officer training and you are committed to Active Duty Training during your summers from medical school....meaning rotations at military hospitals.

"choose whatever residency I want (or do I have to choose a military residency?)"
--> just like in the civilian world, you need to MATCH into a residency program. (not just choose what you would like - this depends on grades, board scores, etc...). Then when you match, you go through a military internship which is followed by either a military residency, or a GMO assignment. Alternatively, you could match to a civilian deferment through HPSP (not the case at USUHS). This however, is rare. A

"and THEN pay it back with 4 years of service?"
--> So, you either go through residency and THEN pay back your 4 years. OR, you do 2 GMO tours which last 2 years each, and then you are free. Some of the more competitive residencies in the military would require a GMO tour before residency, so that 2 year GMO tour counts towards you payback.

please please read those stickies and the other posts in the forum. im not saying the questions you arent asking arent valid, they are. But, some people have had different experiences with how everything goes down and it is worth it to read up on what the military can do. I highly recommend the Pro/Con's of MilMed Sticky including Viewpoints.

hope this helps....disclaimer: i havent gone through any of this....the info i offer is from the material that i have researched as well as the info given by those who have gone through it on this forum....the whole point of everyone posting on the forum is to help people make INFORMED DECISIONS, so read read read and inform yourself :nod:

dude. seriously. you need to do some research on your own. Read the HPSP paperwork, go to the website, contact a recruiter. Some of these questions are so basic to the concept of the mil programs that it just makes it seem like you are basing everything on the info given at this forum.

I was initially too lazy to look it up but then ended up researching it myself anyways but thanks :laugh:

**gives crooked eye look** at possibility of "being too lazy" to make a decision impacting over 11 years of your life =D

I have been searching and searching around for this information and I can't seem to get a straight answer. I hope someone on here can help me out.
Right now I am Enlisted Air Force and have been for 5 years. I'm looking to finish my bachelors with ROTC (AECP), so I can go full time and be done quicker. After AECP I want to try for the HPSP for Med school (Doctrine of Physical Therapy).
Does anyone know if that's possible to go through two scholarship programs? Will the ROTC (AECP) allow me to go to med school without entering active duty? No one at my local Education office has a clue about that, neither does the local university attachment. I would appreciate anyone that can give me some insite on this. Also, where do I find more info about HPSP? Who and where are the recruiters? Thanks.

Jason

Last edited:
I have been searching and searching around for this information and I can't seem to get a straight answer. I hope someone on here can help me out.
Right now I am Enlisted Air Force and have been for 5 years. I'm looking to finish my bachelors with ROTC (AECP), so I can go full time and be done quicker. After AECP I want to try for the HPSP for Med school (Doctrine of Physical Therapy).
Does anyone know if that's possible to go through two scholarship programs? Will the ROTC (AECP) allow me to go to med school without entering active duty? No one at my local Education office has a clue about that, neither does the local university attachment. I would appreciate anyone that can give me some insite on this. Also, where do I find more info about HPSP? Who and where are the recruiters? Thanks.

[/EMAIL]

You can go straight from ROTC to HPSP/medical school. Obviously your obligation will be increased accordingly. You just have to look up in google "HPSP air force" fill out some information on their web page and they won't stop bothering you. The recruiters can lead you through the process of going straight from ROTC to HPSP.

There is a guy in my medical school class who just graduated college through ROTC and is now on the HPSP scholarship, no active duty time in between. Good luck.

PS you should take your email address off of your posting.

You can go straight from ROTC to HPSP/medical school. Obviously your obligation will be increased accordingly. You just have to look up in google "HPSP air force" fill out some information on their web page and they won't stop bothering you. The recruiters can lead you through the process of going straight from ROTC to HPSP.

There is a guy in my medical school class who just graduated college through ROTC and is now on the HPSP scholarship, no active duty time in between. Good luck.

PS you should take your email address off of your posting.

Thanks for the reply. Hearing about your friend gives me hope that I can do this. Is there anyway that I can talk to your friend about this more in depth?

I have a couple HPSP questions-

1. when you apply for military residencies as an MS4, if you match into a military residency do you still do an intern year? if you dont match within military but do match civilian do you still do a military intern year before you attend the civilian residency?

2.do military docs see combat? I know I will be deployed but is that to a hospital within the greenzone or while I be shot at daily?

Any info regarding these two subjects would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I have a couple HPSP questions-

1. when you apply for military residencies as an MS4, if you match into a military residency do you still do an intern year? if you dont match within military but do match civilian do you still do a military intern year before you attend the civilian residency?

2.do military docs see combat? I know I will be deployed but is that to a hospital within the greenzone or while I be shot at daily?

Any info regarding these two subjects would be greatly appreciated thanks.

First, do you have a specific service in which you are interested? I ask because the GME application process is different for each.

However, you will always do an internship. You might be confused by the nomenclature. As an example, let's assume you match into an Orthopedic Surgery residency. Your first year of that residency program will still be an internship (PGY-1), but you will be what's known as a categorical intern, meaning that you are specifically an Orthopedic Surgery intern.

If you do not match into a military program, you will not be doing a military internship. In the Navy, you would likely be granted a one year deferment for internship, followed by a call to active duty for completion of a General Medical Officer (GMO) tour.

I'll leave the combat zone questions to someone with more specific experience.

First, do you have a specific service in which you are interested? I ask because the GME application process is different for each.

However, you will always do an internship. You might be confused by the nomenclature. As an example, let's assume you match into an Orthopedic Surgery residency. Your first year of that residency program will still be an internship (PGY-1), but you will be what's known as a categorical intern, meaning that you are specifically an Orthopedic Surgery intern.

If you do not match into a military program, you will not be doing a military internship. In the Navy, you would likely be granted a one year deferment for internship, followed by a call to active duty for completion of a General Medical Officer (GMO) tour.

I'll leave the combat zone questions to someone with more specific experience.

Thanks for the quick response,

I am specifically considering the army and either Gen. surg. to trauma surg or categorical neurosurg.

Could you elaborate on what a GMO actually is, is this navy specific?

If I did not match military, but I do match civilian would I be granted a deferrment or is that unlikely?

I am specifically considering the army and either Gen. surg. to trauma surg or categorical neurosurg.

If I did not match military, but I do match civilian would I be granted a deferrment or is that unlikely?

I am Navy, so my knowledge of the Army-specific details is extremely limited.

General Medical Officer tours, although perhaps only referred to as such by the Navy, exist in all of the services. They are tours in which the physician serves in an operational and/or primary care capacity. In the Navy, this commonly happens after internship, but before residency training (although they are trying to transition to utilizing residency trained individuals in these positions).

Regarding the match: the military match occurs earlier than the civilian match (results released in mid-December). At that point, you would know whether or not you matched into a military program. If not, you would likely be given one of two options: (1) Deferment for 1-year internship or (2) Full deferment for residency training. Keep in mind that this is applicable to the Navy, but may not be the case for the Army. I do not know if the Army utilizes the one year deferment option.

Hope this helps.

General Surgery is actually a bit of an odd-ball in the Army, in that they are just about the only specialty left that requires you to reapply during your PGY-1 year. For most others, you apply during your MS4 year, and you'll be assigned a residency and internship (may be at different locations). During your internship you are tagged as a pre-select in whatever field (so, an intern going into Anesthesiology would be an Anesthesiology pre-select in a transitional internship). For General Surgery in the Army, you do a surgery prelim internship, and reapply for a PGY-2 spot in General Surgery. This used to be the standard for many other residencies, but they have since all moved to continual contracts (just have to match once as an MS4). Clear as mud?

The military will tell you something, come December of your fourth year. They may tell you that you matched your specialty of choice in the military, or might just say that they have a nice internship for you. Once the military puts you somewhere for GME, you are required to withdraw from the civilian match. Whatever they say, goes. If you really wanted that Neurosurgery residency, but the Army decided they didn't want you for it, you can't just decide to hold out and see if you match in the civilian world. You can only match with a civilian program if the military grants you a civilian deferral. Even then, its for what they specifically granted the deferrment--no asking for a deferral in Neurosurgery, then matching into a civilian Peds residency.

HPSP question: In talking with a recruiter(air force), though they dont seem to care much about getting back to me seeing I wont have my MCAT scores or begin applying until next year, I heard there was an automatic acceptance matrix regarding GPA and MCAT scores...does anyone know anything regarding this? any particular numbers they look for?
Also, what is involved in the application process for this scholarship? Are there essays, LOR's, etc?
My second point of curiousity: Is it difficult to get other financial aid, federal or private, in addition to HPSP? I ask because my wife and I would like to begin having children at some point and I know we could not live on the stipend alone.
Anyone with experience have any pearls of wisdom to pass on?

Anyone with experience have any pearls of wisdom to pass on?

Don't do it for the money!!!

Money may seem really tight in med school, but the majority do get by without the HPSP and some of those even have families.

It is not difficult at all to get financial aid.

I have 2 kids under 3 years old and am Active Duty right now. Getting out in 2 years. It is hell on my wife whenever I have to deploy as we are stationed at a base away from family.

Now, if your motivation is more to serve in the military and you would join the military if HPSP did not exist, then you have to ask yourself how much control do you want to have over which specialty you practice after graduating med school. Depending on the specialty, your options may be limited, especially for highly competitive specialties. If this is the case, the FAP may be a much better route

I will be the 3rd generation of men, and women, serving in the air force in both sides of my family and my wife and I are both air force brats. It is in no way just for the money...but i appreciate your concern, especially after reading a lot of the experiences posted on military medicine.
I just had those 3 specific questions regarding HPSP.

It is great that you have some idea what you are getting into, but some additional advice would be to talk to as many AD physicians as possible, especially in a setting where there answers may not be forced or pressured (i.e. Not set up by a recruiter and outside the workplace). I also come from a family of prior service, but they had no clue what it was like to be a physician in the military.

As for your questions, I think the auto acceptance numbers were 3.5 and 27, but don't quote me on that. To be honest, despite the recent sign on bonus, HPSP remains relatively easy to get, so I would not worry about this.

When I applied, the application consisted of a little essay/short-answer. Can't remember if there were any LORs, but I don't think so.

As I said before, financial aid is readily available outside the military. I was given a 6K subsidized loan while in med school. I took the money to pay off my unsubsidized loans.

I've been reading through as many posts as possible but in case some of these specifics have changed, I'd like to make sure. I'm in contact with a recruiter but hopefully here I can get an unbiased answer with no propaganda.

If I would like to avoid doing a GMO tour (I don't think that it's a good idea to stop medical training like that, especially for a specialty surgery as I am looking into), should I look at the AF or Navy program?

If I want to go directly into a specialized surgery (probably neuro) residency out of MS4, and I apply to the Navy residency program for this, are the chances similar to the civilian acceptance rates for neurosurgery?

If I am accepted into my residency program of choice right out of MS4 (not deferred to a civilian one), do I still have to do a GMO tour?

What is the breakdown of possibilities if I'm not accepted into my top choice military residency but another one, but matching into a top-choice civilian one? Is a deferment granted then or ONLY if I match into 0 military ones?

Thanks for the help! It's greatly appreciated~~

I've been reading through as many posts as possible but in case some of these specifics have changed, I'd like to make sure. I'm in contact with a recruiter but hopefully here I can get an unbiased answer with no propaganda.

If I would like to avoid doing a GMO tour (I don't think that it's a good idea to stop medical training like that, especially for a specialty surgery as I am looking into), should I look at the AF or Navy program?

If I want to go directly into a specialized surgery (probably neuro) residency out of MS4, and I apply to the Navy residency program for this, are the chances similar to the civilian acceptance rates for neurosurgery?

If I am accepted into my residency program of choice right out of MS4 (not deferred to a civilian one), do I still have to do a GMO tour?

What is the breakdown of possibilities if I'm not accepted into my top choice military residency but another one, but matching into a top-choice civilian one? Is a deferment granted then or ONLY if I match into 0 military ones?

If you want to go into specialized surgery, you may want to do FAP. There are limited slots in all of the branches for things like Neurosurgery. It is far easier to get what you want in a civilian match, then apply for FAP later on.

The recruiter wont be able to answer your question, if they do, they will probably not be giving you the correct answer. As sad as it is, the most acurate information you may find regarding HPSP is found here on SDN.

My answers are bolded

Neither. Army is least likely to make you do a GMO tour, but all 3 services have made their applicants do a GMO tour at one time or another. The best solution is to avoid HPSP and join the military through the FAP or after residency if you really want to serve as an officer.

The numbers vary by year (both in number of applicants and number of spots) so this is completly unpredictable.

You must apply to the military match first. The results come out around Dec 15th. Usually 3 options (at least in the AF): 1) Match into a military residency, 2) Match into a civilain deferred spot, which you would then go through the civilian match, 3) One year internship (either military or civilian), then GMO tour. You could reapply during your internship year for a residency position. This is the basics, but it is a little more complicated than this.

The Match is legally binding. Wherever you match (whether military or civilian) you go. If you match into a military residency spot, you will pull yourself from the civilian match since those results don't come out until a couple months after the military match. Deferments are not automatic if you don't match into a military residency. Don't know the Navy/Army numbers, but in the AF 25-30% of HPSP applicants don't match and have to do a GMO/Flight Surgery tour for a minimum of 2 years

So I am also considering HPSP, but everyone says not to get into it for money...but its worrisome after racking up 250k of debt, and the fact that you have to start paying it back sometime during residency since the law changed recently. I understand the pros and cons of milmed, I have read a lot about HPSP. But for someone like me who doesn't have any help from mom and dad, I don't want to have to base my decision on what type of medicine to practice on whether or not I will be able to pay back my loans. As for PCPs, the pay is not much less than it would be in the civilian world, from what I have read and heard. So basically, unless I want to become a surgeon, I don't see how it wouldn't be a beneficial program. Plus, you are caring for soldiers and their fams. However, FAP seems like a good deal...does it pay your loans on top of salary during residency? Is it more difficult to enter FAP vs. HPSP? Any thoughts?

However, FAP seems like a good deal...does it pay your loans on top of salary during residency? Is it more difficult to enter FAP vs. HPSP? Any thoughts?

FAP does not pay loans on top of salary, it gives you additional money in exchange for service after residency. (year for year plus one)

There are fewer FAP positions, and they are only for certain specialties. For example, if you end up wanting pathology, ophthalmology or OB, you will not likely be eligible for FAP. FAP is more for Ortho, Gen Surg, Anes, etc. Some are primary care like FM or IM.

I see...well I ran numbers for FAP and it seems like, as a PCP, you would be about 150-200k ahead from residency until the time you have finished off paying your debt 10 yrs after residency if you joined up, so about 15-20k/yr on average...if you specialize though you could stand to lose a lot of money joining the military over the 3 yrs residency, fellowship, and subsequent debt payoff years. In my opinion, the only nice thing is that, with respect to HPSP vs. FAP, FAP gives you more time to decide on whether or not milmed is for you and whether or not you will specialize... but ultimately, if you are pretty sure about military and primary care, HPSP is a no brainer...
NavyFP-->are you a family physician in the military? if so, why did you join and what do you think of milmed?

In my opinion, the only nice thing is that, with respect to HPSP vs. FAP, FAP gives you more time to decide on whether or not milmed is for you and whether or not you will specialize... but ultimately, if you are pretty sure about military and primary care, HPSP is a no brainer...

You have effectively "hit the nail on the head"

This is the main benefit of FAP over HPSP and why I don't recommend the HPSP to anybody (with the exception of people with prior military service)

The average medical student changes their mind about which specialty they want to go into at least once during med school, and that's the problem. While it is much easier to match into primary care in the military, who knows if a pre-med is still going to want to do that after they have gone through their 3rd year rotations?

Regarding the FAP, though, it goes without saying that you should only do it if you want to be an officer in the military. Money should not be the driving factor, just like the HPSP

NavyFP-->are you a family physician in the military? if so, why did you join and what do you think of milmed?

As the moniker would suggest, yes, I am a Family Physician in the Navy. I joined via HPSP. I have a multitude of family who were military and they had had good experiences, so I signed up.

I have been on active duty for the past 14 years and am still happy (in general) with Navy Medicine. It has its quirks, but I love the patient population, I love my scope of practice, and I have great colleagues. So, I guess I am in it for the long haul.

So I am also considering HPSP, but everyone says not to get into it for money...but its worrisome after racking up 250k of debt, and the fact that you have to start paying it back sometime during residency since the law changed recently...

Don't join out of fear. Do you really know what you are getting into or are you making an emotional decision?

Don't join out of fear. Do you really know what you are getting into or are you making an emotional decision?

I know exactly what I'm getting into. My father was in the Army (he is actually against me signing up) and a close family friend was a physician in the Navy. I am interested in milmed, but I also care a lot about my career, my future children and future wife, and am not sure if I want to put them through my deployments. This is a decision I am making with a lot of people and things in mind. I have to weigh everything out. 6 months ago I was about 95% sure this is what I wanted, especially after speaking with the family friend who had nothing but great things to say for his time, but he also admitted he wasn't ever deployed and spent his time in the DC area. But after I read more and more about how military retention is so low, and the horror stories people have, it is worrisome. I'm sure many of those people got in with the idea of being in the military for their career, so there must be a problem, maybe they didn't get in with all the info, and I want to avoid that. So I am trying to get as much information as possible, and I don't see what is so wrong with me asking about financial issues because it has to be put in the equation. I am weighing many things such as the difficulty in specializing, the possible GMO tours, my feeling to perform duty to this country, the cost of education, my interest in helping the soldiers and their families, and my interest in specializing or not specializing. This is probably the least emotionally driven decision I have ever made. I appreciate everyone's information on these details. To be honest, I think if people don't ask these questions, they are probably making an emotionally driven decision to serve their country because they have a naivete that they can trust whatever the govt and their recruiters tell them and that since they are willing to give up so much for this country, they will be paid back and taken care of. Unfortunately, this is not necessarily the case, and the great men and women of the military often times get the shaft. Nevertheless, this is my life and I want to make the most informed decision I can.
and if anything, I'd be more likely not to join out of fear than to join out of fear. 250k of debt seems a lot less daunting when you are spending months in the desert without your loved ones. Anyway, thanks for everyone's input.

greetings:

does anyone know if you join the HPSP program, can you be deployed from med school? i know that you can be deployed during your residency as a GMO, but i'm not sure about med school.

thanks

Two points:

1) Although it is possible to deploy while in med school, it is highly unlikely. I would not count on this at all. First, they would have to bring the draft back.

2) A resident is not a GMO. If you are in a military residency you are active duty. If you a completed a civilian residency (via deferment), you are on reserve status, just like med school. The chances of you getting your residency training interrupted by deployment are about as high as a med student. In other words, basically ZERO. The more likely situation would be the military would not allow you to do a residency in the first place (except for 1 year as a internship year) and then would push you into a GMO position. This would certainly make you deployable. So, a GMO does not equal a resident

greetings:

does anyone know if you join the HPSP program, can you be deployed from med school? i know that you can be deployed during your residency as a GMO, but i'm not sure about med school.

thanks

None of the services would interupt your medical school training if you are in HPSP. Residency is protected time as well.

How competitive is it with a 3.6 and a 29 to get AF? I want to be an OB/GYN - is that going to be competitive to get as my choice for military or civilian (don't care as long as it is OB/GYN)? Do they look at whether or not you are female or male? As in favor one over the other?

I'm sure its somewhere, but after a quick look I didn't see it. I was looking into HPSP and just read that the stipend is taxed, can anyone tell me what they're currently receiving after taxes?