HPSP getting out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people write about this a lot, but Id really love some help.

I am currently trying to get out of my HPSP contract and was wondering if anyone knows how other people have gone about doing this. Im a fourth year medical student getting ready to go into residency. As I am not 100% confident in the specialty I want to pursue, I am wanting to take some time off for research. Any advice about getting out to pursue this endeavor would be sincerely appreciated. THanks

Members don't see this ad.

This has been asked ad nauseum on this board. Most will probably tell you that you're out of luck. I think EdMadison may have known someone who got out but I'm not sure of the circumstances or when this happened.

I'm guessing that if you are serious about doing this, read the appropriate section in your HPSP handbook, and type up the written request that is required. All they can say is no. However, you might want to think twice about making waves like this so close to residency. I'm betting that if a program director found out, you can pretty much kiss your chances goodbye at matching.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people write about this a lot, but Id really love some help.

I am currently trying to get out of my HPSP contract and was wondering if anyone knows how other people have gone about doing this. Im a fourth year medical student getting ready to go into residency. As I am not 100% confident in the specialty I want to pursue, I am wanting to take some time off for research. Any advice about getting out to pursue this endeavor would be sincerely appreciated. THanks

Read my website. I am no blinded fan of the Military Medical Corpse.

However...

You have to consider your honor.

Do the right thing.

Serve your country as you promised to do.

Then GTFO (Get the F*** Out) at your earliest honorable opportunity.

--
R
Who served honorably on active duty from 1986-2005, and left...
with nothing.

Read my website. I am no blinded fan of the Military Medical Corpse.

However...

You have to consider your honor.

Do the right thing.

Serve your country as you promised to do.

Then GTFU at your earliest honorable opportunity.

--
R
Who served honorably on active duty from 1986-2005, and left...
with nothing.

Rob,

Don't you mean GTFO?

One of my friends from med school got out. He quit during second year of med school -- after OBC. I'm not sure of the particulars, but it wasn't because of medical or "social" reasons -- it was just because he wanted out. They left him hanging for a long time -- more than a year and finally let him out. I am not sure what happened regarding paying back and scholarship.

Ed

So you're a 4th year; you got what you wanted by getting your med school paid for, but you dont want to man up and do some work for it?

Too bad..

Wow, anyone know where I can get free money for school without doing anything?!! Cool, sign me up!:rolleyes:

And yeah, I agree the military health system sucks right now. If this was the military of the 40's and 50's, I'd join in a heart beat..I'm skeptical about it now, with more women wanting power, control and trying to make decisions (such as nurses trying to overthrow a physician's diagnosis); its going to get worse..

Its too bad really that tough, intense, dedicated individuals dont feel welcome anymore..

So you're a 4th year; you got what you wanted by getting your med school paid for, but you dont want to man up and do some work for it?

Too bad..

Wow, anyone know where I can get free money for school without doing anything?!! Cool, sign me up!:rolleyes:

And yeah, I agree the military health system sucks right now. If this was the military of the 40's and 50's, I'd join in a heart beat..I'm skeptical about it now, with more women wanting power, control and trying to make decisions (such as nurses trying to overthrow a physician's diagnosis); its going to get worse..

Its too bad really that tough, intense, dedicated individuals dont feel welcome anymore..

I wouldn't be too quick to judge the OP on his reasons/intentions for wanting to leave the military....we are nobody to judge and have no idea of his background or reasons for wanting to get out... nonetheless, for those of us that are currently doing "our time" it is a slap in the face when somebody tries to get out w/o fulfilling their other end of the bargain

deployments, taskings, admin BS, lack of supplies/ancillary personnel, hostile/austere working/living conditions, and time away from your spouse and family SUPREMELY SUCK!!!

Nonetheless, we all realized this when we signed on the dotted line. In all honesty, if you can swing it and get out...more power to you..however, I'd keep it on the down low and not bring it up as a topic of conversation with anybody like me:smuggrin: :thumbdown:

Thank you to those who answered my question honestly, unlike those of you who disregarded my circumstances (which none of you know by the way), to get on a soap box about how much honor they have. My plea was not a request to hear about how much honor everyone else on this forum has. Seriously..Im very excited and proud for all of you who do

Thanks again to edmadison delicatefade and desperado for really helping. Any other help is appreciated.

Go get a bunch of large tattoos of naked women/suggestive themes. Full sleeves and such. It worked for someone from my med school. I saw it with my own two eyes. All it took was the group commander to decide it was inappropriate and buh-bye with no strings attached.

I think maybe you need to address your gender superiority issues.

I have no gender superiority issues. Letting oftentimes underqualified, underexperienced individuals take control and make decisions just for the sake of "diversity" presents itself in the most horrendous ways. IMO, the military went down the toliet 30 years, we are now only feeling the last turd make its way out into the pipe and waiting for the final turbulent flow to take it all away..I grew up in the military and seen this stuff first hand..

Dont believe me? Look around.. Think I'm crazy? So be it..

Prove me wrong..

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no gender superiority issues. Letting oftentimes underqualified, underexperienced individuals take control and make decisions just for the sake of "diversity" presents itself in the most horrendous ways. IMO, the military went down the toliet 30 years, we are now only feeling the last turd make its way out into the pipe and waiting for the final turbulent flow to take it all away..I grew up in the military and seen this stuff first hand..

Dont believe me? Look around.. Think I'm crazy? So be it..

Prove me wrong..

if you really believe that the military was better off 30 years ago than it is now, then i think you need to sit down with a few people who were doing combat arms back then. 30 years ago we had barely started our all-volunteer service, meaning that there were still plenty of rejects, ex-convicts, and drug users filling our ranks. the quality of our military improved greatly during the 80s, imho, and we have the national debt to prove it.

Thank you to those who answered my question honestly, unlike those of you who disregarded my circumstances (which none of you know by the way), to get on a soap box about how much honor they have. My plea was not a request to hear about how much honor everyone else on this forum has. Seriously..Im very excited and proud for all of you who do

Thanks again to edmadison delicatefade and desperado for really helping. Any other help is appreciated.

what exactly is so complicated about your situation??...you're not sure about your specialty choice...therefore, you've got to do a transitional year internship and reapply during PGY1 for a residency position as a PGY2...so odds are pretty likely that you're gonna have to do a GMO, FS, DMO, or some form of a utilization tour before you

a) reapply to a military residency
b) do your time like everybody else has done before you and get out and do a civilian residency

did I miss anything??

did I miss something??

also, what are you going to tell PDs when you apply to civilian programs about how you took out a scholarship to go to medical school with the military and never actually served a single day on active duty??

Are you kidding? Whatever special circumstances you think you hav....you are no different from the rest of us. Bottom line: you signed....your in! It is extremely difficult to break that contract. For obvious reasons!

Do your GMO and then do residency. You can do research, attend civ. grand rounds or shadow docs at civilian residencies during your GMO tour.

You are in the same situation as every other GMO in this forum, just figure out how to make it work.

I see no problem with trying to get out of military medicine whenever you can for whatever reason. Commitment schmitment. If they had told me the truth about what I'd be going through, I would likely not have done it.

But they lied. I bought it and I'm paying the price. If someone else wants out and can find a way, more power to them.

The one thing I would say is this, keep your integrity. That means, you pay them back for what they bought you. 100% of how many ever 100k's taxpayers gave to you, you owe back to them if you don't serve.

If they would have let me buy my way out, I'd be gone so fast it would make Carl Lewis shudder.

I would absolutely condemn anyone who got the free education and didn't pay it back either financially or with their service. That's just plain ole wrong.

We had a 2 for 7 night at my service academy. After 2 years there, if you stayed an additional day, you had a 7 year obligation after that time. Big party and a couple of people opted out at that time. No disgrace. You did not sign up under that type of contract and are committed to a 4 year payback. With that said, I had 2 med school classmates get out of their obligation. One after OBC and found he hated the army and the other developed a disqualifying medical condition during his civilian residency.

As for the tatoos, get a bunch of naked tatoos of your sex. Don't ask, Don't Tell, Don't advertise. Ha.

The tattoos WERE same sex. Good call.

There is also a story that circulates about a student who finished med school with HPSP and promptly came out and said he was gay. As the story goes, he was released from the service and didn't pay one cent.

I actually asked about repaying and getting out of HPSP when I was still a student. They just laughed at me.

I think in the army atleast...the only way you'd get kicked out for homosexuality is if you were literally caught in the act itself...:laugh:

Sounds like you just found a way for TWO people to get out at the same time!

As for me, looks like I'll be doing a GMO tour for four years payback and then apply to a civilian residency - painful, but it's a bump in the road in the big picture... a big, painful, digital-rectal-exam-without-luberication bump, but a bump nonetheless...

Just wondring, what would be considered a disualifying medical condition? I also have a comittment and am ready to serve, BUT have recently been treated for asthma. Wondering if this is going to be an issue. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Just wondring, what would be considered a disualifying medical condition? I also have a comittment and am ready to serve, BUT have recently been treated for asthma. Wondering if this is going to be an issue. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

You might require a waiver for general duty, and that will probably require some testing (CXR, PFTs, etc), and you will probably be waivered, if necessary with billeting restrictions. You would be NPQ, no waiver, for dive or flight duty, however.

Agreed. DQ from flying status, not from military service (Unless it is real severe, i.e. Multiple ICU admissions with intubations, and even then, it just might be that you are non-deployable)

I had ulcerative colitis and had a colectomy...which should be "currative". The Navy took me as an HPSP student after 2 years of watching me and waivers. I was in perfect health when they finally put me through. Over the past year it looks like the initial diagnosis was wrong and I have had issues with Crohn's now. My back is also an issue and I have suspicions that I might have ankylosing spondylitis. I submitted all of this new information and medical records but I do not know how this will pan out.

I want to finish my commitment but I don't know if I am physically up to it anymore, and what will the Navy do with me now? Any insight would be helpful, I guess I am just waiting for my records to be reviewed at the moment.

I had ulcerative colitis and had a colectomy...which should be "currative". The Navy took me as an HPSP student after 2 years of watching me and waivers. I was in perfect health when they finally put me through. Over the past year it looks like the initial diagnosis was wrong and I have had issues with Crohn's now. My back is also an issue and I have suspicions that I might have ankylosing spondylitis. I submitted all of this new information and medical records but I do not know how this will pan out.

I want to finish my commitment but I don't know if I am physically up to it anymore, and what will the Navy do with me now? Any insight would be helpful, I guess I am just waiting for my records to be reviewed at the moment.

Let's see if I have this right:

You are an active duty physician and you have Crohn's.

If that is the case and you are credentialed to practice medicine it is unlikely you will be kicked out. Doctors are held to a different physical standard and as long as you are able to practice......you can stay.

It is not easy to get out of one's obligation. I know of two people who got out after OBC. The first was a Muslim student. I did OBC the summer after 9-11. The poor kid got stopped and detained for 24hrs by the MPs when he was coming in the gate from a night out in San Antonio. He was livid. He was left in the holding cell all night due to acting "suspicious." The company commander was less than sympathetic when he was picked. He was able to get out but I think he had to pay back the first two years of the scholarship. The second was a chick. She also was able to get out. During OBC she had some sort of mental breakdown. I don't know the specifics of whether she had to pay anything back.