HPSP life, could use some input!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karp316

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in my first year of medical school and am heavily debating joining the Air Force for HPSP. It would cover the costs of the last 3 years of medical school (tuition ~$50,000 per year) plus the stipend, and I would then serve in return for 3 years (residency aside). I feel truly driven to join, I would find it very rewarding and don't really care one way or the other about financial reasons (very gun-ho about practicing anesthesiology), but at the same time I am incredibly nervous about how it would impact my potential family/marital life (whether meeting someone, staying in one place long enough for marriage, or being absent near the start of family life).

What are the summers like during medical school with HPSP and what is life like while serving? (Likelihood of deployments/length of deploy./chances of being stationed in USA with Air Force). Any feedback would be incredibly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I'm in my first year of medical school and am heavily debating joining the Air Force for HPSP. It would cover the costs of the last 3 years of medical school (tuition ~$50,000 per year) plus the stipend, and I would then serve in return for 3 years (residency aside). I feel truly driven to join, I would find it very rewarding and don't really care one way or the other about financial reasons (very gun-ho about practicing anesthesiology), but at the same time I am incredibly nervous about how it would impact my potential family/marital life (whether meeting someone, staying in one place long enough for marriage, or being absent near the start of family life).

What are the summers like during medical school with HPSP and what is life like while serving? (Likelihood of deployments/length of deploy./chances of being stationed in USA with Air Force). Any feedback would be incredibly appreciated :)

i've been reading through and mostly finding descriptions about the nature of the work not being what ppl expected but not much concrete information about life outside of work (family, how long you spent away from them-at least not recent comments, just older posts).
did you find any satisfactory answers? did you end up doing the HPSP? i'm considering it too, but also married, no kids but have elderly parents to consider...

maybe it's naive for me to think this, but 8 years HPSP commitment for someone who is already coming out of 4 yrs of college plus 4 years of professional school makes starting/having a family life difficult (in theory a traditional student would be ~26 years old coming out of medical school. Then 34 when completed with the HPSP active duty obligation, which involves several moves from what i've been reading here....