HPSP/NHSC worth for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gummybear1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been tormenting me for few days now and would love to see some of your inputs on it.

I will be attending dental school starting this year, and I expect my overall loan to be around 500k with interest by the time I graduate so
I've been thinking about applying 3 year HPSP or NHSC to fund my dental school education. (I don't even know I will be able to get into the program at this moment) BUT
I've been deeply involved in managing my family business for a long time, and the business has been doing quite well.
For my contribution in the business, my family recently agreed to support me $3000/month for the duration of my time in dental school.
That would decrease my loan amount down to about 350k, which seems quite manageable compared to 500k.

What are your thoughts on this?
Would I fare better practicing in public setting after graduating with manageable debt; or debt-free (+~150k - ~130k for 1st year COA with interest over 4 years = +~20k) but restricted to serving in military or underserved for 3 years?

Members don't see this ad.

There is probably only one branch in the military you can apply for the 3 year HPSP scholarship. That is the AF. The Army doesn't seem to offer those 3-year scholarships to people that were not wait listed for the 4 year- same with Navy. AF will have about 50 scholarships. GPA and DAT will determine if you are competitive. Do do the military unless you want to serve. Even then, the scholarship is very competitive. Will probably need GPA 3.7+ DAT 22+ to have a really good shot.

Reactions: 1 user
This has been tormenting me for few days now and would love to see some of your inputs on it.

I will be attending dental school starting this year, and I expect my overall loan to be around 500k with interest by the time I graduate so
I've been thinking about applying 3 year HPSP or NHSC to fund my dental school education. (I don't even know I will be able to get into the program at this moment) BUT
I've been deeply involved in managing my family business for a long time, and the business has been doing quite well.
For my contribution in the business, my family recently agreed to support me $3000/month for the duration of my time in dental school.
That would decrease my loan amount down to about 350k, which seems quite manageable compared to 500k.

What are your thoughts on this?
Would I fare better practicing in public setting after graduating with manageable debt; or debt-free (+~150k - ~130k for 1st year COA with interest over 4 years = +~20k) but restricted to serving in military or underserved for 3 years?

Apply for HPSP/NHSC. Family business can be tricky. I would rather be independent.