HPSP Rejected, now what

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbyrd85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all:
so after all these months of waiting, applying with DAT 21, GPA 3.4, showing my love for military, being reviewed very favorably by the interviewing officer, I was told that I was recommended professionally but due to budget issues, they will not give me the scholarship.
even though I had applied for 2010 fiscal year, still there is no room.
they suggested either defer your admission for a year and then you are in or go to HSCP route.
My goal was to become an OS for NAVY, serve our men and women in uniform and have the capability to afford dental school as I'm completely on my own (financially). Isee people being accepted and then post threads about how to find a way to skip the payback time and I get the rejection.
anyway,it didn't work out. I don't know about HCSP as my tuition is very high and its not an in-state school. I wish i had an in-state acceptance and then I would be able to afford HSCP, I'm so upset.I really wanted to join the NAVY.
At this point, any suggestions/advice will be much appreciated.Sorry for all the blah blah

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all:
so after all these months of waiting, applying with DAT 21, GPA 3.4, showing my love for military, being reviewed very favorably by the interviewing officer, I was told that I was recommended professionally but due to budget issues, they will not give me the scholarship.
they suggested either defer your admission for a year and then you are in or go to HSCP route.
My goal was to become an OS for NAVY, serve our men and women in uniform and have the capability to afford dental school as I'm completely on my own (financially). Isee people being accepted and then post threads about how to find a way to skip the payback time and I get the rejection.
anyway,it didn't work out. I don't know about HCSP as my tuition is very high and its not an in-state school. I wish i had an in-state acceptance and then I would be able to afford HSCP, I'm so upset.I really wanted to join the NAVY.
At this point, any suggestions/advice will be much appreciated.Sorry for all the blah blah

First, did they tell you why you were offered an HSCP and not an HPSP?

To me, I see two options if you truly want to serve your country:
1. Take the HSCP and take out student loans to supplement the difference

or

2. Apply for an AF or Army HPSP scholarship.

First, did they tell you why you were offered an HSCP and not an HPSP?

To me, I see two options if you truly want to serve your country:
1. Take the HSCP and take out student loans to supplement the difference

or

2. Apply for an AF or Army HPSP scholarship.
no they havent said anything, it doesn make sense. they say they have enough applicants then they say not enough money then they offer a new program which will add to the dentist personnel.
They also said All three branches are filled. ALL.army,navy and AF for anyone who is graduating 2011,2012,2013.

Members don't see this ad :)
no they havent said anything, it doesn make sense. they say they have enough applicants then they say not enough money then they offer a new program which will add to the dentist personnel.
They also said All three branches are filled. ALL.army,navy and AF for anyone who is graduating 2011,2012,2013.

Keep in touch with your recuiter. Make sure you're on some sort of OML. People will decline or change their mind inevitably, and that may be your avenue in.

In my case, I think I applied late in the year and did not get the 3 year HPSP that I needed (UOP), but got a two year instead, so I borrowed the entire first year tuition.

I got the call about the 2 year scholarship months after being rejected for the three year. So there still may be hope. Caveat: this is army.

I thought with the NAVY, an applicant with 3.0 GPA and 21 DAT get matrix qualified. So shouldn't you have recieved the NAVY HPSP?

I thought with the NAVY, an applicant with 3.0 GPA and 21 DAT get matrix qualified. So shouldn't you have recieved the NAVY HPSP?

3.5 and 19+ . That is what it was when I applied 3 years ago. I highly doubt they have loosened their values because anyone with half a brain can get a 3.0. To automatically guarantee a scholarship to someone with a 3.0 and 21+ would not be smart for them because they would give out their scholarships right away, but a small percentage would get into d-school. Not a smart thing that would be for the dental corps.

i feel your frustration bro. i am in the same shoes. Hopefully the OML list moves, or there will be more authorizations-that is what my recruiter is saying.
I didn't think it would be difficult to have an opportunity to serve.:cool:

i feel your frustration bro. i am in the same shoes. Hopefully the OML list moves, or there will be more authorizations-that is what my recruiter is saying.
I didn't think it would be difficult to have an opportunity to serve.:cool:

What is the OML list?

Order of Merit List

Is that the same as the alternate list? I was told that they ran out of scholarships as well and I was put on a numbered alternate list. Is this the OML (Order of Merit List) or something else? Is the alternate and/or OML list guaranteed?

My goal was to become an OS for NAVY, serve our men and women in uniform and have the capability to afford dental school as I'm completely on my own (financially). I don't know about HCSP as my tuition is very high and its not an in-state school. I wish i had an in-state acceptance and then I would be able to afford HSCP, I'm so upset.I really wanted to join the NAVY.

PM me if you're really interested (and you seem like you are), and I'll give you some pointers...

I was also told on Friday of the new budget cuts and my spot on the OML. According to my recruiter the Navy has cut the number of scholarships in half, to 40 which now leaves me also without scholarship. As of friday there were 4 open HSCP spots but the recruiter said those would likely be taken up by this week so move quickly if you want one of those. Unfortunately, since i will be at private school the HSCP doesnt help my situation enough financially.
My recruiter mentioned AF scholarships all being given out but did not mention the Army, anyone know if they are also all given out?

is the OP applying for the 4 yr or the 3rd year HPSP? I m wondering b/c i m still trying to find a recruiter inorder to get the 3 year HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also told on Friday of the new budget cuts and my spot on the OML. According to my recruiter the Navy has cut the number of scholarships in half, to 40 which now leaves me also without scholarship. As of friday there were 4 open HSCP spots but the recruiter said those would likely be taken up by this week so move quickly if you want one of those. Unfortunately, since i will be at private school the HSCP doesnt help my situation enough financially.
My recruiter mentioned AF scholarships all being given out but did not mention the Army, anyone know if they are also all given out?

Unfortunately, ARMY scholarships are gone too. I would know, believe me. I was selected but because they didn't have enough money I am on wait list, which according to my recruiter means no money until October. So, if I want to be commissioned I would have to wait until October, and I would have to take loan for the 1st semester ( which they wouldn't reimburse me for).
If I were you, I would try both the Army and the Air force for the next fiscal year.

Unfortunately, ARMY scholarships are gone too. I would know, believe me. I was selected but because they didn't have enough money I am on wait list, which according to my recruiter means no money until October. So, if I want to be commissioned I would have to wait until October, and I would have to take loan for the 1st semester ( which they wouldn't reimburse me for).
If I were you, I would try both the Army and the Air force for the next fiscal year.
what I was saying was that even for fiscal year of 2010, (Oct) they dont have open sopts

what I was saying was that even for fiscal year of 2010, (Oct) they dont have open sopts

I highly doubt that - no matter what your recruiter told you. The funds aren't even available for FY 2010. They don't know for sure how many slots are available until the finds are released. Now they may have a list fo people whom they want to place on the scholarships, but they cannot give them away until after OCT 1. I bet you that once OCT 1st comes around, you will see that there the recruiters are out recruiting for the 2009-2010 FY scholarships. There will be scholarships available after OCT 1st.

Just tell your recruiter to save your info and apply you on oct 1st for the next board and you'll get it .

so is it hard to get the military scholarship now days?.. I'm applying for dental school right now and hopes to get that scholarship to go to dental school myself.. is it competitve like getting into dental schools?.. can someone please tell me more ....what do they look for?

so is it hard to get the military scholarship now days?.. I'm applying for dental school right now and hopes to get that scholarship to go to dental school myself.. is it competitve like getting into dental schools?.. can someone please tell me more ....what do they look for?
They are getting more and more competitive all the time. A 19 on your DAT and a 3.4 GPA will matrix qualify you for a scholarship. In other words, if you have these qualifications, apply for the scholarship, get accepted for dental school and if there are any scholarships left, you will be offered one without meeting a board.

Lots of "ifs" in there, but all of them must come together to be matrix qualified. Most importantly, it's first come first serve for the matrix qualified scholarships. If none are left, none are left.

They are getting more and more competitive all the time. A 19 on your DAT and a 3.4 GPA will matrix qualify you for a scholarship. In other words, if you have these qualifications, apply for the scholarship, get accepted for dental school and if there are any scholarships left, you will be offered one without meeting a board.

Lots of "ifs" in there, but all of them must come together to be matrix qualified. Most importantly, it's first come first serve for the matrix qualified scholarships. If none are left, none are left.

can i ask if you know app. how many are accepted every year?..

Hey man,
I completely feel your pain. I was waiting for my commissioning documents and yesterday decided to call up my recruiter to see what up. So basically he told me the same thing, the Navy has a surplus of applicants, and that a lot of applicants are not even going to get a HPSP although they qualify. Then he told me that I would be commissioned in April 1st, 2010 which means that I am on my own for the first semester... Im in shock because I havent started any of the financial aide stuff and now need to come up with a lot of money in a couple of month before school starts. Anyways, I heard because more army and air force are applying to the navy and the economy, the navy is actually out of money. Good luck to anyone applying this year for 2014.

Hey man,
I completely feel your pain. I was waiting for my commissioning documents and yesterday decided to call up my recruiter to see what up. So basically he told me the same thing, the Navy has a surplus of applicants, and that a lot of applicants are not even going to get a HPSP although they qualify. Then he told me that I would be commissioned in April 1st, 2010 which means that I am on my own for the first semester... Im in shock because I havent started any of the financial aide stuff and now need to come up with a lot of money in a couple of month before school starts. Anyways, I heard because more army and air force are applying to the navy and the economy, the navy is actually out of money. Good luck to anyone applying this year for 2014.

That sucks because it seemed like you were going to get the scholarship. There were just too many people applying overall and either due to cuts in the # of scholarships or funding (sort of the same) there are less spots open. 40 for navy and air force are small compared to 100+ for army this year. My recruiter said there were around 140 scholarships avail for army for 2009.

That sucks because it seemed like you were going to get the scholarship. There were just too many people applying overall and either due to cuts in the # of scholarships or funding (sort of the same) there are less spots open. 40 for navy and air force are small compared to 100+ for army this year. My recruiter said there were around 140 scholarships avail for army for 2009.
what I dont get is this:
If someone applies right now for army, for fiscal year of 2010 which opens in Oct 2009,and if they have very high grades, and everything else is good, can they be rejected due to lack of budget?? what i mean is , have they already filled their 2010 spots, or not? everybody says something different.
one recruiter says they are filled and you will be on the merit list, the other says we haven't even started looking at 2010 yet, one branch recruiter **** talks about the other and the other does the same to this one. who should I call to realistically find out what the hell is going on? this is the future of our lives we are trying to make a decision about and we need some solid validated credible info. not just i heard or i was told, what office in DC is responsible for all these HPSP scholarships?

I just talked to my recruiter on Wednesday night. So for 2010, 20 people will be comissioned on oct 1 2009 and then 23 will be commissioned on april 1 2010. I am one of the 23 people in april 1st. For the 2010 budget the Navy is 1.1 million over. As of now, they are being told not to take any more applicants. Meaning the class of 2014.

I just talked to my recruiter on Wednesday night. So for 2010, 20 people will be comissioned on oct 1 2009 and then 23 will be commissioned on april 1 2010. I am one of the 23 people in april 1st. For the 2010 budget the Navy is 1.1 million over. As of now, they are being told not to take any more applicants. Meaning the class of 2014.

So if i'm applying for dental school for 2010, there will be no more scholarships at all?

what I dont get is this:
If someone applies right now for army, for fiscal year of 2010 which opens in Oct 2009,and if they have very high grades, and everything else is good, can they be rejected due to lack of budget?? what i mean is , have they already filled their 2010 spots, or not? everybody says something different.
one recruiter says they are filled and you will be on the merit list, the other says we haven't even started looking at 2010 yet, one branch recruiter **** talks about the other and the other does the same to this one. who should I call to realistically find out what the hell is going on? this is the future of our lives we are trying to make a decision about and we need some solid validated credible info. not just i heard or i was told, what office in DC is responsible for all these HPSP scholarships?

The thing is, you can apply and if your stats are good, you might be selected. BUT, if the money is gone when you are selected, then WILL NOT commission you. At least thats what happened to me with the ARMY, I was selected early this month, but I can't be commissioned until October 1st, which means I will have to take the first semester loan.

Hey all:

That makes no sense! The fiscal year doesn't start until oct 1 and they don't even know their budget yet, nor do they know how many acceptances they are going to give out. I'm pretty scared about what you're saying bc I also applied to HPSP navy. Can you ask your recruiter who told him there was a lack of budget and when they found out their budget limit??

That makes no sense! The fiscal year doesn't start until oct 1 and they don't even know their budget yet, nor do they know how many acceptances they are going to give out. I'm pretty scared about what you're saying bc I also applied to HPSP navy. Can you ask your recruiter who told him there was a lack of budget and when they found out their budget limit??

my recruiter was notified two weeks ago that all navy HPSP/HSCP scholarships have been filled up for the next two years. I guess they must have run out of money

my recruiter was notified two weeks ago that all navy HPSP/HSCP scholarships have been filled up for the next two years. I guess they must have run out of money

2 years is BS for sure. The 4 years open up every year with a set amount. A D2 student can't apply for a 4 years scholarship. The problem is if you're a D2 and a lot of freshmen apply for 4 years, the navy.army.af can run out of money which would make 3 years harder to get. UNLESS, there are set number of 4 and 3 year scholarships.

If you commission in October, doesn't the gov't retro pay for your fall semester?

If you commission in April, do you get your 2nd semester paid for?

what I dont get is this:

Can't speak for the other services - but the Army budgets for a certain # of each type of scholarship each year (4, 3, 2, 1 yr). They do not go over in different scholarships - so they can accurately forecast and budget for the next years scholarships. They don't oversale one year so that they have to scramble the next year to come up with funds.

Each October begins a new year and new scholarships in the Army. October 2009 they will announce how many scholarships will be available for the entering class of 2010. It will be about the same as this year. They do not "pre-authorize" or promise slots for 2010 to applicants from this year.

The recruiter saying that money will not be available until after Oct is not stating that the service ran out of money - they gave out their quota of scholarships.

Scholarships are given out "first come first serve". If you want the scholarship - apply early. Many people received scholarships because they applied early. Had they waited until later in the year they wouldn't have had a chance.

As for the Army office in charge of HPSP - they are located in N. Virginia - don't know about the other services (they are all seperate).

In response to Navy HPSP 2010. So for the 2010 fiscal year, there are x number of 4 year scholarships. However, these are given out in oct or april, although the scholarship does not pay tutition for 4 years it is still considered a 4 year scholarship. The reason being, the bottom line, 4 years of commitment to the navy is same whether the scholarship covers all 4 years of school, or 3 years and 1 day of school. So you can see for those who are going this fall (Aug 2009) we would have to come up with 1 semester of the money ourselves and then Navy would cover the rest. With many people agreeing to these terms and not withdrawing from the HPSP, there are no longer 2010 slots open to the class of 2014. For this year, you will be competing for commissioning on oct 1 of 2010 or april 1 2011.

So, it sounds like there are separate pools for the HPSP and the HSCP?

I am wondering if the HSCP would be easier to get, because of it being less desirable to most. I am wanting the HSCP, and am hoping that they are separate things.

In response to Navy HPSP 2010. So for the 2010 fiscal year, there are x number of 4 year scholarships. However, these are given out in oct or april, although the scholarship does not pay tutition for 4 years it is still considered a 4 year scholarship. The reason being, the bottom line, 4 years of commitment to the navy is same whether the scholarship covers all 4 years of school, or 3 years and 1 day of school. So you can see for those who are going this fall (Aug 2009) we would have to come up with 1 semester of the money ourselves and then Navy would cover the rest. With many people agreeing to these terms and not withdrawing from the HPSP, there are no longer 2010 slots open to the class of 2014. For this year, you will be competing for commissioning on oct 1 of 2010 or april 1 2011.

Is the navy that popular or they did just get rid of a lot of scholarships? Well that sucks for class of 2014 people wanting to get 4 years because there are no more left already. I think that is what is technically going on with the Air Force (4 years were next to impossible to get).

From my talking to my recruiter. This is the first year that Navy is backed up with their applicants. Usually, 4 year scholarships means all paid for 4 years. The combination of economy and the large pool of applicants resulted in the current situation. HPCP is a different program and there are 20 spots for 2010. There are some recruiters who are trying to get their applicants on HPCP because the length of OML.

From my talking to my recruiter. This is the first year that Navy is backed up with their applicants. Usually, 4 year scholarships means all paid for 4 years. The combination of economy and the large pool of applicants resulted in the current situation. HPCP is a different program and there are 20 spots for 2010. There are some recruiters who are trying to get their applicants on HPCP because the length of OML.

Actually, it is not the first year, but the first year that they have met the HPSP quota this early in recent times. The last couple years hasn't been great, but I do know that the year I signed my paperwork in 2006 I had to wait until OCT because they met their quota early.

FYI ... It is the HSCP, not HPCP. :) The reason why the recruiters are tryign to get the applicants on the HSCP is because until those slots are filled, their job is not complete. They will not have met their quota for the year even though they have the large response for the HPSP scholarship. So, they will continue to try to get those few slots filled over the next 3 months.

FYI ... It is the HSCP, not HPCP. :) The reason why the recruiters are tryign to get the applicants on the HSCP is because until those slots are filled, their job is not complete. They will not have met their quota for the year even though they have the large response for the HPSP scholarship. So, they will continue to try to get those few slots filled over the next 3 months.

That is good news for me. I am a little late in the game, but am going for one of the HSCP spots. Still don't know how good my chances are within the next 3 months, but I am hoping for the best. Thanks for everyone's input in the thread!

Actually, it is not the first year, but the first year that they have met the HPSP quota this early in recent times. The last couple years hasn't been great, but I do know that the year I signed my paperwork in 2006 I had to wait until OCT because they met their quota early.

Navy, if one cannot take COT before/during dental school and have to after dental school, would this interfere with residency training?

Navy, if one cannot take COT before/during dental school and have to after dental school, would this interfere with residency training?

This respone to DrReo applies for the Navy personnel on the HSCP since I have verified knowledge of this. I don't know about anyone else Navy or other branch who are on the HPSP. Two of my buddies were selected recently for Pros residency starting next summer. They are on the HSCP like me. Graduation is around May 21 next year. Residencies start end of June. There is no time to go to Officer training between graduation and the start of residency. So, they will go after they finish their residencies. Now, I assume it would be the same for the Navy HPSP who weren't able to go during d-school, but I am not sure. For those of us on the HSCP, we cannot go to officer training until after dental school since you must be an officer when at COT/ODS. Those of us on the HSCP are enlisted (E-6 or E-7) during this time and aren't eligible to attend until we are commissioned the day of or day after graduation. (For me, I don't have to attend ODS because I already attended OCS back in 1998. - so none of this applies to me.)

I think we need AFDDS to answer how this works for the AF personnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
navy dds, i am interested in the two year HSCP for 2010 but my GPA is around 2.5ish. i am currently in dental school already. Should I bother to apply? and I don't know why my recruiter told me that all HSCP has been taken even though there is still 20 left according to wilsonJing. Is it because my gpa is so low that she doesn't bother to waste her time on processing all the paperwork?

Last edited:
navy dds, i am interested in the two year HSCP for 2010 but my GPA is around 2.5ish. i am currently in dental school already. Should I bother to apply? and I don't know why my recruiter told me that all HSCP has been taken even though there is still 20 left according to wilsonJing. Is it because my gpa is so low that she doesn't bother to waste her time on processing all the paperwork?

Check your box. I'm going to PM you.

just talked to a recruiter .. she told me that the Navy are out of the scholarship for the next 2, 3 years .. :(:( what do i do now?

just talked to a recruiter .. she told me that the Navy are out of the scholarship for the next 2, 3 years .. :(:( what do i do now?

It sounds like it depends on which recruiter you talk to. I spoke with two different ones and they both told me different things.

It sounds like it depends on which recruiter you talk to. I spoke with two different ones and they both told me different things.

Tell me about it.. .. I honestly don't feel like I could trust anything they say... but now who can i go to?

I'm starting to consider it.. you mind if I PM you and ask a few questions?

Yeah you can ask me any personal questions pertaining to why I joined etc. but if you need Army specific information, Krwomer and Teeth63A are current army dentists so they would know a lot more REAL facts.

Yeah you can ask me any personal questions pertaining to why I joined etc. but if you need Army specific information, Krwomer and Teeth63A are current army dentists so they would know a lot more REAL facts.

Please expand on what you mean by 'REAL' facts and what you are implying are not 'REAL'