HPSP, Salary during active duty after dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IamSpiderman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i know HPSP pays for your tuition and gives you living expenses during dental school, but there is very little information about the salary you get after you graduate and start working for the military. How much do you get paid??

Members don't see this ad.

start off as 03 rate + various living and dental specific bonuses. I have heard it comes to ~100k + medical coverage.

start off as 03 rate + various living and dental specific bonuses. I have heard it comes to ~100k + medical coverage.

I thought it worked out to around 80K + benefits. Is that wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this link somewhere and thought it was quite useful and specific to each location:

http://militarytimes.com/money/pay_charts/

The one thing it doesn't seem to take into account is special dental/medical pay like VSP and ASP. So, I'm just guessing here (someone please correct me if I'm wrong or missing anything)... but if you take an average housing allowance, your monthly pay would look something like this straight out of school:

$3771.30 - BASIC
$239.96 - BAS
$1850 - BAH
$250 - VSP
$833.33 - ASP
----------------------
$6944.59 - TOTAL ($83335.12 annually; BAS/BAH are non-taxable)

ASP is an annual lump sum. The new IP plan is monthly.

Correct, I was just dividing it to keep everything monthly. So is IP going to replace ASP?

edit: just read something that the new IP will replace VSP and ASP (around $13k/yr combined) and will be around $20k/yr, does that sound right? A $7k raise would be great.