HPSP Stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wexler

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for current/former HPSP students.

Is the HPSP stipend and 45day active duty pay enough to live off of? Did you have to take out loans anyway to cover some of your living expenses?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends upon where you live.

Where I go to school, up in the northeast, the stipend pays for my rent, food, and maybe car insurance.

Beer, an item which takes up a large piece in the fiscal pie, is not met by the Navy stipend and so I need to take loans out for that much needed piece.

bobbyseal said:
Beer, an item which takes up a large piece in the fiscal pie, is not met by the Navy stipend and so I need to take loans out for that much needed piece.

LOL! When is the military going to recognize beer as a required expense and start reimbursing HPSPers for it? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For myself, the stipend has been a very nice 'plus' during my first year of school. My situation may or may not be similar to yours, however. We bought a home who's payment is less than the typical 2Bedrm. apt. in the desireable areas. I am married with my wife having a great job (ie no extra loans). Things are going to change greatly real soon. Kid due at the end of May and the sugar-mamma ain't goin' back to work.
If I were single and no new hatchling on his way, I wouldn't have to worry about dependents but would probably either have a roommate or more expense for housing.
Bottom line, if you are concerned about -zero- debt out of school, you must practice some noteworthy frugalness to live off of the stipend solely. To me the absence of future debt would not out-weigh the current inability to enjoy life now. I will take out ~18K/yr for the next 3 yrs. to fill the gap. This relatively minimal amount of debt is something I have no issues with coming out of a private school.

Hey Gatorfan,
I will be at Tufts Med next year. I talked with 2 HPSP students who go to Boston schools and they both said that the stipend was not enough. One person gets the extra living expenses money from her family, and the other takes out $8,000 a year in subsidized loans. Hope this helps!

I'm going to be in San Francisco, and I don't plan on the stipend covering everything. Like someone else posted, I'll take out some loans to live a little more freely now. I can deal with a little bit of debt out of school.