HUGE MCAT spread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuffMed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an 8 point spread between my highest and lowest sections :eek:

P-15
B-11
V-7

33 O

Who else got a HUGE spread and are you going to retake?

I am contemplating, but I have good EC's and do not want to take the MCAT ever again.

Also any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

BuffMed said:
I had an 8 point spread between my highest and lowest sections :eek:

P-15
B-11
V-7

33 O

Who else got a HUGE spread and are you going to retake?

I am contemplating, but I have good EC's and do not want to take the MCAT ever again.

Also any advice would be appreciated.

I highly doubt you can manage a 15 in PS if you retake.
I don't know, it is a big gap, and your Writing sample isn't stellar...are you foreign?, you might have an excuse there.

Yeh, same problem here - 15/9/15 (dont get me wrong I am very happy with my score). But I usually am very good at verbal ... could MCAT have messed up the verbal scales or something?

aetna said:
Yeh, same problem here - 15/9/15 (dont get me wrong I am very happy with my score). But I usually am very good at verbal ... could MCAT have messed up the verbal scales or something?
Hollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly shiiiiiiiiiiiiat!!!

I've never seen a double 15! EVER!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I had a similar problem:

PS: 13
VR: 8
BS: 12
WS: R

A 33R is pretty consistent with my practice tests. Luckily, those were my best scores ever on both BS and PS, but an 8 on verbal is pretty low for me. I usually got a 10 or 11, and generally had at least a passage left. On the real thing, I actually did finish the whole section, so I am shocked about the 8. Before seeing my scores, I probably would've guessed that verbal would be my highest. But, I don't know if there's really much we can do. I've read on a few posts that regrades are never effective on multiple choice sections (by never, I mean never in the history of the MCAT). Still, it might be worth a try, especially considering that I don't know how valid those posts are.

That said, I do have some encouraging news. My brother's father-in-law used to be the dean of a med school. So, we called him and asked him about my scores. Initially, he said that the verbal would hurt me at some schools, but that there are also some schools who would probably just look at the total (I was inquiring about top 20 schools, btw). Since he's been out of the admissions for awhile, he called up some of his friends at different medical schools (though I'm not sure which ones). Apparently, they told him that in the last few years, there was a movement to look for balance in the scores, so verbal was of equal importance to sciences. However, they said that there is a shift now back to emphasis on the sciences with verbal holding a lesser importance. Again, I'm not sure which schools he called or how much less importance verbal holds, but hopefully this bodes well for us. Good luck, everyone.

BTW, do you guys remember what test form you had? I had AG. I'm just curious to see if maybe this is a problem with a specific test form because I've seen a lot of posts about people doing worse specifically on verbal than the practice tests (haven't really seen many people have major drops on biosci or physci). Then again, it could just be because the scoring ranges on verbal are so narrow...

Hm. I wonder why you've never seen a double 15? Any ideas???

EddieIndy said:
Hollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly shiiiiiiiiiiiiat!!!

I've never seen a double 15! EVER!!!

yea, my spread is a little wide also
12P, 9V, 14B
i wish i had double digits on verbal so it wouldn't stand out as much.

heeseop said:
yea, my spread is a little wide also
12P, 9V, 14B
i wish i had double digits on verbal so it wouldn't stand out as much.
With a 3.8 GPA and such a high, combined MCAT score (35, that's like the top 6% of all the 31007 people taking the MCAT this past april!) you will have NO trouble with the academic-side of your application! :rolleyes:

If your total score is over 31 and no section is less than 9, you will have no problems concerning the MCAT score. If any section is 8, and you are over 31 I wouldn't worry about your MCAT score. The MCAT isn't everything in the admissions process.

LifetimeDoc said:
With a 3.8 GPA and such a high, combined MCAT score (35, that's like the top 6% of all the 31007 people taking the MCAT this past april!) you will have NO trouble with the academic-side of your application! :rolleyes:

If your total score is over 31 and no section is less than 9, you will have no problems concerning the MCAT score. If any section is 8, and you are over 31 I wouldn't worry about your MCAT score. The MCAT isn't everything in the admissions process.

thanks man, that's a relief to know :oops:

LifetimeDoc said:

what about if the verbal section is an 8 and your score is 31 with an S :D

So...Paradox said:

A 33R is pretty consistent with my practice tests. Luckily, those were my best scores ever on both BS and PS, but an 8 on verbal is pretty low for me. I usually got a 10 or 11, and generally had at least a passage left. On the real thing, I actually did finish the whole section, so I am shocked about the 8. Before seeing my scores, I probably would've guessed that verbal would be my highest. But, I don't know if there's really much we can do. I've read on a few posts that regrades are never effective on multiple choice sections (by never, I mean never in the history of the MCAT). Still, it might be worth a try, especially considering that I don't know how valid those posts are.

That said, I do have some encouraging news. My brother's father-in-law used to be the dean of a med school. So, we called him and asked him about my scores. Initially, he said that the verbal would hurt me at some schools, but that there are also some schools who would probably just look at the total (I was inquiring about top 20 schools, btw). Since he's been out of the admissions for awhile, he called up some of his friends at different medical schools (though I'm not sure which ones). Apparently, they told him that in the last few years, there was a movement to look for balance in the scores, so verbal was of equal importance to sciences. However, they said that there is a shift now back to emphasis on the sciences with verbal holding a lesser importance. Again, I'm not sure which schools he called or how much less importance verbal holds, but hopefully this bodes well for us. Good luck, everyone.

Form AG here also, Paradox

PS-14
VR-7
BS-11

32Q

I am pissed and speechless about the verbal also, i've never scored that low. To add to that, I thought it wasn't even that bad. I'm sending my rescore thing in and praying. I got a 7 when I christmas treeed my answers on the PS during a practice test so this is ridiculous.

aetna said:
holy sheeeattt here too! That is amazing! DOOOOOO NOT RETAKE!!!

So...Paradox said:

I felt the same way about verbal (finished the whole section with some time to spare) and also came out with an 8. I felt much better than most of my practice tests, which I sometimes struggled to finish and they were all in the 9-11 range. It's a crapshoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS - 11
VR - 6
BS - 11

Life is funny like that i guess, considering PS was my worst section leading up to the exam. :laugh:

scentimint said:
I felt the same way about verbal (finished the whole section with some time to spare) and also came out with an 8. I felt much better than most of my practice tests, which I sometimes struggled to finish and they were all in the 9-11 range. It's a crapshoot.

Which test form did you have, scentimint? Are you gonna submit a rescore request?

Also, for those who are submitting a rescore, you have to write a letter explaining why you want a rescore. What are you gonna say? I am thinking about making up some bogus reason to make them feel more inclined to really grade just to give them more motivation to really look at it.

So...Paradox said:
Which test form did you have, scentimint? Are you gonna submit a rescore request?

Also, for those who are submitting a rescore, you have to write a letter explaining why you want a rescore. What are you gonna say? I am thinking about making up some bogus reason to make them feel more inclined to really grade just to give them more motivation to really look at it.
I had BN....I wasn't really thinking about a rescore, but it might be a viable option. I just don't want it to postpone my application. Any idea if it would?

scentimint said:
I had BN....I wasn't really thinking about a rescore, but it might be a viable option. I just don't want it to postpone my application. Any idea if it would?

The rescore for a multiple choice section takes 3 weeks according to the AAMC website:

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm#rescore

I assume you could submit your application and if there is (hopefully) an increase in your score, you can inform the adcoms.

Also, I just saw on the June 20 score thread that you are interested in MD/PhD. I posted there some stuff I've heard about it.

So...Paradox said:
The rescore for a multiple choice section takes 3 weeks according to the AAMC website:

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm#rescore

I assume you could submit your application and if there is (hopefully) an increase in your score, you can inform the adcoms.

Also, I just saw on the June 20 score thread that you are interested in MD/PhD. I posted there some stuff I've heard about it.
It would definitely be work the $50 if my score went up. I can't really see it going down...but I guess anything's possible.

I replied to you on that thread re: MD/PhD :)

scentimint said:
It would definitely be work the $50 if my score went up. I can't really see it going down...but I guess anything's possible.

I replied to you on that thread re: MD/PhD :)

I just stated the obvious....that there was a significant disparity in my scores that had never been the case during my practice exams and I felt that the integrity of the grading system was such that it was unlikely that an error occurred but that it was worth the fee to exploit all reasonable means of figuring the cause.

GL :luck:

'Rambler

WestTexasRambler said:
I just stated the obvious....that there was a significant disparity in my scores that had never been the case during my practice exams and I felt that the integrity of the grading system was such that it was unlikely that an error occurred but that it was worth the fee to exploit all reasonable means of figuring the cause.

GL :luck:

'Rambler
When are you going to find out the rescoring results?

EddieIndy said:
When are you going to find out the rescoring results?

No idea really. As someone else posted I figure about 4 weeks. I am just going to apply with the score I have and study for the retake in August as if nothing were going to change...because I doubt it will. It was a fluke deal and that is what I am chalking it up to. Even if I score 9-11-9 it will be a lot better then this 11-6-11 crap. I am shooting for a 35+ to remove any and all doubt about the incident and I am taking my preparation a whole hell of a lot more seriously. I admit to getting a little cocky and then getting bitch slapped by life. It happens. :laugh:

'Rambler

Seems there are a lot of people like me, I had form BG and recieved an R on WS.

I just posted this on a different board, but thought you guys would want to read it:

My curiosity finally got to me and I just called the MCAT offices in Iowa. The gentleman I talked to confirmed that there has never been an adjusted score in the history of the MCAT (on mult choice). So, that doesn't look good, but all hope is not lost. Eventually the computer is gonna mess up, right? Just depends how important $50 is to you.

He also said you can go ahead and send in your application. If there is a correction to the score, they'll inform the schools. (someone was concerned about freezing your score until you hear back)

The last thing, which I guess I should've asked him but didn't, is what happens if there is some type of standardized error. What I mean by this is something like a mistake in calculating the scale. I seriously doubt this possibility, but most of the posts I've seen about rescoring or someone surprised about a section being lower than usual have been about the verbal section. Regardless, I'm gonna submit a rescore and take my chances. The peace of mind is worth $50.

bump...one low score gonna hurt us at top schools?

I had form AG

here my scores:

VR: 06, although I suck at verbal was scoring between 7 and 8 on EK
WS: N
PS:13
BS:09

28N

Zymogen said:
bump...one low score gonna hurt us at top schools?

Yeah, I wanna know the answer to this question as well. 12/8/11P. I could always play the ESL card, but I don't think that's gonna fly since now I primarily speak English.

I wouldn't play the ESL card, that would probably backfire on you in the end. Your score is pretty solid, don't sweat it too much. Let's just hope they understand that the 8's were flukes. I actually had to pee really bad and rushed though verbal.

I am sorry to say that I have by far the WORST spread on this thread. I don't know if I messed up bubbling or what.

PS = 14, BS = 12, VR = 5!!! Total = 31Q. Other than that VR score, I have a REALLY strong application. I am published and am president of 2 major organixations and am the SGA Treasurer. Also, English is not my native language I speak with the family and in the house. I spoke with the dean of the school that I want to apply and he said that I am still competitive for their college. It's a bad spread, but re-taking the MCAT still won't change the differential between the science and verbal...even if I increase verbal by 4 points in 2 months.

rpviper said:
I am sorry to say that I have by far the WORST spread on this thread. I don't know if I messed up bubbling or what.

PS = 14, BS = 12, VR = 5!!! Total = 31Q. Other than that VR score, I have a REALLY strong application. I am published and am president of 2 major organixations and am the SGA Treasurer. Also, English is not my native language I speak with the family and in the house. I spoke with the dean of the school that I want to apply and he said that I am still competitive for their college. It's a bad spread, but re-taking the MCAT still won't change the differential between the science and verbal...even if I increase verbal by 4 points in 2 months.

You may want to call adcoms for schools you want to apply to to be sure. If I were on a committee, I think I would let it slide. Like you said, English is your second language and your resume sounds pretty impressive. I assume you have a good GPA, too. On top of that, your writing score is pretty good, and they'll see your ability in English on your essays and your interviews. Of course, it also comes down to your calls. For sure, you'll get into A medical school in the US. But, based on your resume, aside from your verbal score, you sound like a top 10 Med School calibur student. If that is your goal, you may need to retake it, but maybe they would be forgiving. The only other concern I would have is that I have heard some schools actually don't even look at your application until after GPA/MCAT scores pass through some computer filter that throws out everyone who is below some certain threshold (that might just be a false rumor). So, it's possible that some schools may not even get far enough into your application to see how awesome the rest of it is. But, of everything I said, I think the most important thing is to call up some admissions offices of schools you would like and ask how they would handle a situation like yours. Good luck.

Hi im new here. I'm hoping to get some opinions. My scores is: 10 PS 11 VR 13 BS and L WS. As you can see my problem is WS. I dont even know what happen I felt like a wrote a pretty solid essay completing all the required task. I also use d the same basic format from when I wrote essay for the kaplan practice and got 3 on them. Anyways, I was wondering how this might hurt my application. I've been hearing that med school dont really care bout the WS. Is this true? Thanks in advance everyone.

Hlam84 said:
Hi im new here. I'm hoping to get some opinions. My scores is: 10 PS 11 VR 13 BS and L WS. As you can see my problem is WS. I dont even know what happen I felt like a wrote a pretty solid essay completing all the required task. I also use d the same basic format from when I wrote essay for the kaplan practice and got 3 on them. Anyways, I was wondering how this might hurt my application. I've been hearing that med school dont really care bout the WS. Is this true? Thanks in advance everyone.

Everyone says they don't really care...and with a 34, they probably won't. As for your L, how's your handwriting? Maybe the grader had trouble reading it, so he gave it an L. You could request a regrade. I've heard it actually works sometimes with the writing section. Also, make sure to write good essays on your application so that admissions people realize that you can write.

VR 6 - English 2nd language, came to the states at age 14
PS 12
BS 11
29 O

I'm debating about the august retake. although verbal has always been my weakest part, i have been getting 7 and 8's on the practices, occasionally 9's. I dont know how much i can improve on verbal in 2 months, or how much is a 7 or an 8 on the 2nd try better than the 6 i already have. it's still gonna be some discrepancy between VR and the sciences. my guess is the highest i can get is an 8 on verbal unless i discover some strategies that work miraculously for me. thats a 31 with delayed application IF i can attain that verbal score AND keep my sciences. should i retake or should i just go ahead and apply with my score? my gpa is 3.7 from cornell and ok EC's. its kinda disheartening to know that my verbal score is as low as it can be and total score below 30... any advices would be greatly appreciated!

GeoMay22 said:
10 PS
6 VR
11 BS
P WS

I had form BP

I took 6 of the EK 101 verbal tests. I started out with a 7 and eventually made two 9's on the last two. I took AAMC tests 7, 8, and 9 on the 3 saturdays before the real MCAT and scored a 9 in verbal on every one of them. I knew that verbal was my weakest subject but I was not expecting this. Does anyone know anybody that has ever gotten a re-grade and actually received a change in their score?

i believe the words of AAMC when someone called to ask were "never before in MCAT history"

I have also heard that a re-grade has never been successful. Unfortunately, if there was a mistake in your bubbling, a re-grade would be of no use.

Hlam84 said:

please please please please don't re-take with that score! You will only hurt yourself by having to apply later in the application cycle....I really don't think the writing sample score is worth it...

If you look at MSAR, lots of top school have let in people with lower than the median scores on verbal for example.

Stanford let in people with VR score of 4 last year...Michigan a 6...etc..

i guess i'm the opp out of all of you fools, my verbal was my BEST score
P - 9
V - 10
B - 8

but overall, still sucky

I am scared to death right now. Is this normal for people to have double digits on both science sections and low single digits on the verbal? Anyone know why the verbal has such a steep curve compared to the other science sections?

Hardbody said:
I am scared to death right now. Is this normal for people to have double digits on both science sections and low single digits on the verbal? Anyone know why the verbal has such a steep curve compared to the other science sections?
Probably because the scores are curved. If the average person gets more questions correct on the verbal exam than on the physical sciences exam, then the curve will be steeper. Also, those with a strong science background or those that major in a science degree tend to have lower verbal scores.

Don't worry, the verbal isn't graded any harder than the other three exams on the MCAT. You just have to get more correct answers is all. And you want to shoot for double digits in all 3 parts of the numerically graded MCAT, with maybe a 9 in just one of them.

Same boat with spread as many of you. V = 13, P = 7, B = 10. Crappy physics. Ah well. I'm running with it. Its weird cause most people that have problems do well in hard science and tank the verbal, mine is just the opposite. And i'm a science major! :confused:

Haemulon said:
Same boat with spread as many of you. V = 13, P = 7, B = 10. Crappy physics. Ah well. I'm running with it. Its weird cause most people that have problems do well in hard science and tank the verbal, mine is just the opposite. And i'm a science major! :confused:
Haemulon, even if things don't go your way this cycle, remember that the sciences are much easier to improve on than Verbal. I'm sure that if you decide to retake (most likely you won't need to), you will do MUCH better.

EddieIndy said:
Haemulon, even if things don't go your way this cycle, remember that the sciences are much easier to improve on than Verbal. I'm sure that if you decide to retake (most likely you won't need to), you will do MUCH better.

Thanks buddy :) I hope your right. I am thankful for what I have, warts and all. Best of luck all around everyone! :luck:

Haemulon said:
Thanks buddy :) I hope your right. I am thankful for what I have, warts and all. Best of luck all around everyone! :luck:
I second Eddy's words of wisdom! I improved 3 points in the sciences and saw no change in verbal, even though i focused a ton of time on it. Best of :luck: to you!

I think whoever said they have a 15 is LYING.
If you go to the MCAT site and look up the breakdown of the scores. Only 0.4% of people got a 15 in PS and 0.2% got a 15 in BS.
So are you telling me that 2 people posting on this site got those scores? Hmm. Amazing chance of probability.
Don't try and say you got a 15 in VR because NO ONE scored a 15.

jadetree said:
I think whoever said they have a 15 is LYING.
If you go to the MCAT site and look up the breakdown of the scores. Only 0.4% of people got a 15 in PS and 0.2% got a 15 in BS.
So are you telling me that 2 people posting on this site got those scores? Hmm. Amazing chance of probability.
Don't try and say you got a 15 in VR because NO ONE scored a 15.

1 out of 250 got a 15 on PS and 1 out of 500 got a 15 in BS based on the %s you provided. It's definitely possible considering how many took that MCAT.