Human Anatomy & Physiology at JC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseudoMCAT45

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time newbie poster here, I'm a junior standing pre-med at a state university. As I'm planning my classes for next semester, I found out I don't need Human anatomy or Human phyiology to get my B.S. degree. Also these class are extremely hard get in (or petition in)... so, I'm just wondering if i can take those 2 classes at a local jc and still fullfil the preq for med school?

thanks in advance guys

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the schools that you are interested in applying to and ask directly. Often the A&P courses offered at CC's are designed for those entering nursing and the allied health professions, and different from the university A&P courses designed for science majors and pre-professional students.

A&P isn't usually a specific prereq for med schools. Are you hoping to use this to partially fill the 1 year of general bio requirement?

I would take the classes at your college, it would look better on your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking them for my upper-div requirements, since they're very hard to get in, thats why i want to go alternative

I'm taking them for my upper-div requirements, since they're very hard to get in, thats why i want to go alternative

Taking your upper level bio courses at a JC will not earn you any favor. Schools want to see you challenging yourself, this will appear that you are trying to avoid taking difficult courses and are taking the easy way out.

Upper division requirements for which, your undergrad or med school? Most 4 years won't apply CC credits for upper division. CC's are intentionally for lower division courses.

I really do prefer to give good news.

Taking your upper level bio courses at a JC will not earn you any favor. Schools want to see you challenging yourself, this will appear that you are trying to avoid taking difficult courses and are taking the easy way out.

"Hard to get in" = lots of people want to take the course. :rolleyes:

I think you guys misunderstood him.

At OSU, we created a human physiology class at a local community college with a lab instead of changing ours to a lab. The anat & phys classes at the community college are taught by the same professors who teach at OSU (same book, same speed, same exact class, but with a lab). Although I'd assume the schools are you applying to probably don't know that. I took anatomy at OSU and physiology at the community college.

Thx TheRealMD, i really meant "HARD TO GET IT" not "HARD TO STAY IN"

so yea, even if i really end up not taking/getting into A&P class in my university I'm still goin to take some other upper div bio courses, and i'm pretty sure they are as difficult.

Yall think med admission would still think im avoiding hard classes?