Husband and wife both Dr. So and so?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thursday7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched for this but couldn't find where it was asked before. If a husband and wife are in the same practice, how do you get around the same name issue? Does going by Dr. First Name make it too casual? Is it ok to just both be called the same thing but hope that you can tell when someone is referring to you?

Members don't see this ad.

They usually keep their original last name for practice purposes. If not, just use the first name.

I wonder what people do when it's a father and son who don't have this option.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what people do when it's a father and son who don't have this option.
My dentist is like this. Father and son. The father goes by Dr. Last Name Senior and the son goes by Dr. Last Name.

I had a father and son orthodontist team. The father went by Dr. Last Name the son went by Dr. First Name. (he wasn't a junior techinically)
I also go to two brother dentists, both go by Dr. Last Name and it's less confusing than you would think since you typically stick with one over the other, and it's easily clarified.
Also had a brother and sister orthodontist team (I've had a LOT of dental work lol) and they would both go by Dr. Last OR Dr. First. Sister tended to be more Dr. First Name.

I shadowed at an office in which both the dentists are twins and they went by their first name. One was skinnier than the other so it's easier to physically/facially identify also.

I know of a two brother practice. Professionally, they go by their last names as customary and expected.

I shadow at a practice with a husband and wife and they both go by last name. It is a bit confusing. The husband is an OMFS and the wife a perio. Normally, I shadow the wife, the husband doesn't talk much lol.