Hypothetical Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravenclaw27

Hey there!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay. Let's say Bob lives in Los Angeles. He graduates from UCLA, and the year before he applies to med school. He thinks the cycle is over, but one fateful Sunday, he gets a phone call from the Dean of Admissions of NYU telling him he's been accepted. Catch is: Class starts the next day.

Bob doesn't think he can move from LA to NY in one day, so he turns down the acceptance. Would this hurt him in the next cycle?

I know the probability of this happening is slim to none, but my mind gets bored when I'm thinking about the proccess in the middle of the day :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Okay. Let's say Bob lives in Los Angeles. He graduates from UCLA, and the year before he applies to med school. He thinks the cycle is over, but one fateful Sunday, he gets a phone call from the Dean of Admissions of NYU telling him he's been accepted. Catch is: Class starts the next day.

Bob doesn't think he can move from LA to NY in one day, so he turns down the acceptance. Would this hurt him in the next cycle?

I know the probability of this happening is slim to none, but my mind gets bored when I'm thinking about the proccess in the middle of the day :rolleyes:

Maybe Bob should ask the dean if he can defer for a year instead of outright turning down the acceptance, otherwise, I'm not sure the school would be as receptive to an application in the next cycle. :)

Maybe Bob should ask the dean if he can defer for a year instead of outright turning down the acceptance, otherwise, I'm not sure the school would be as receptive to an application in the next cycle. :)

Well, waitlist acceptances can't usually be deferred since they're trying hard to fill that year's class. I imagine Bob could explain the situation to the Dean, express his heartfelt regrets, and emphasize his desire to be able to apply next year. If that doesn't work, then I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about if Bob asks the dean what his options are while he's talking to him on the phone? I mean, as long long as we're talking hypothetical situations here, he might as well find out all of the hypothetical options.

Tell bob, he owes me money and he could have rented a hotel if his parents would have helped him a little.

Here's a hypothetical question:

"If you had no other acceptances, would you turn down an acceptance from NYU?"

Of course not. Sure, it will be tough to transplant your life in a day, but no harder than reapplying next cycle. Pack a suitcase, and kindly ask your roommates/parents to help box and ship the rest of your stuff.

i think most bobs would have made the move.

Here's a hypothetical question:

"If you had no other acceptances, would you turn down an acceptance from NYU?"

Of course not. Sure, it will be tough to transplant your life in a day, but no harder than reapplying next cycle. Pack a suitcase, and kindly ask your roommates/parents to help box and ship the rest of your stuff.

Yeah, its pretty clear Bob hasn't actually gone through the application process. Maybe a much less stressful hypothetical application process, but no the actual one. Otherwise, he'd definity get over his whining about having to pack quickly and take the acceptance.

I would slap bob in the face.

1. If you hear from NYU the day before classes start... (which is at the earliest august, and the latest september) and you decide to just reapply for the next cycle, you're going to end up applying later in the cycle.

2. Applying again is going to cost you a ton of more money... use that money for a red eye to New York, and start your career!

3. It's NYU for godsakes.... not some Caribbean school.

Let it be a lesson to you, if the time frame for moving is too short, drop yourself off the waitlist.

That said, Bob should get on the red eye and thank his lucky stars.

Hahaha. The inconvenience of packing in a short period of time might be the difference between being accepted and not being accepted.

I've heard of and know people in law school and med school who had already moved into their respective new apartments (one had even started classes) when they got the waitlist-acceptance call. They made the move.

I would be on the first flight to JFK. A bunch of my college buddies are analysts for various firms, consultants, etc. in NYC though so I think I'd have a pretty easy time making that specific move.

Hypothetically, why is NYU your ONLY acceptance? Seems like if you're in off the wait-list there, you should be outright accepted somewhere given you applied prudently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be on the first flight to JFK. A bunch of my college buddies are analysts for various firms, consultants, etc. in NYC though so I think I'd have a pretty easy time making that specific move.

Hypothetically, why is NYU your ONLY acceptance? Seems like if you're in off the wait-list there, you should be outright accepted somewhere given you applied prudently.

Nah... A buddy of mine was actually accepted off the Waitlist at NYU a couple months ago. He has no other acceptances.

Another buddy of mine ended up at Hopkins from the waitlist with no outright acceptances.

I'm not sure how "prudently" they applied, but as far as I know they applied fairly broadly.

I'm thinking Bob's an idiot...hypothetically speaking.

Hypothetical Bob should call NYU back as soon as he foolishly hung up the phone and make a very sincere very hypothetical apology because Bob had OD'd on some drugs the night before and wasn't hypothetically thinking straight.

if this is the same bob from the enzyte commercial he should know to "Go big or go home"

If I were Bob, I'd be at LAX 45 minutes later and worry about the details later. NYU is too good to pass up. It's unrealistic, but an extremely good opportunity.

And if NYU posts lectures online, Bob would technically not miss anything anyway. He can always pick up his white coat later too.