I absolutely will not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doula-2-OB said:
That's not what I mean- I mean med students lining up to do a vaginal exam on an unconscious woman for the sake of learning, not a necessary medical procedure.

There was a lot of controversy about this- has it changed?


slightly different situation than the scenario you originally posed.

But then again I know med students who practice placing IV lines on unconsious patients - but maybe that's different because the pt. needs the line anyway, and it's expected that med students do procedures in a teaching hospital.
 
karirunner said:
I wouldn't perform an abortion unless the mother's life was endangered by the pregnancy....I'm a flaming liberal, support women's right to choose, and am not particularly religious but the idea of performing the procedure myself makes me uncomfortable. I also wouldn't do FGM, though I know it is accepted in some cultures. (Anything that makes peeing excruciating and sex incredibly painful does not seem like a good idea.)

As to circumcision, I thought it was the norm in the US and generally a benign procedure. Am I wrong?
no, you're not wrong; you're 100% right
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Empress said:
What exactly would you define as "make them die?" Would you not honor a DNR?
yes, it means not resusitating them not using a procedure or meds to "make them die"
 
Doula-2-OB said:
If I don't spend the bulk of my time caring for vaginas and uteri and their neighbors, then I'm apparently looking at the wrong specialty.
I have a lot of respect for those who want to go into OB/GYN. It takes someone with a strong stomach to look at an infected/moldy/slimy/cottage cheese drippin' vagina. (I'm turning Drop on so I need to quit :meanie: )
Like I said, it takes someone special. Good luck with that. That is one thing I won't do. (even though I know I'll have to do it during rotations, but damn it doesn't mean I have to like it... :barf: )
 
Psycho Doctor said:
who is your avatar?

That's me.

A doula is a birth support person. I stay with my client from the time she thinks she's in labor until after the birth. I help the parents with suggestions and to remind them to speak for what they want, and basically am somewhat of a labor coach. You can go to my website to find out more about what I do if you're really interested. 🙂
 
jbone said:
I have a lot of respect for those who want to go into OB/GYN. It takes someone with a strong stomach to look at an infected/moldy/slimy/cottage cheese drippin' vagina. )

It takes a strong stomach to look at those f*cking cats every time you post, too. good god, what's with that?
 
Psycho Doctor said:
excuse my ignorance but what is a doula? Is it the same as midwives?
Doulas are paid to be there by your side during the entire birthing experience but they are not to replace the midwife or doctor. They help you with breathing and they help the husband stay calm they make sure you are comfortable. They don't do anything medical. My hospital where I delivered had a doula service. There are statistics that they decrease c-sections and help with natural child birth if that is what you want. If it isn't what you want they still help. They are kind of expensive and some insurances will cover them.
 
Like I was telling Drop, I could eat a roast beef sandwich and watch a baby come out. It's no big deal to me. 😉 I've been to hospital births, homebirths, waterbirths, birth center, cesarean, vacuum, shoulder dystocia... etc etc. Nothing has made me gag yet!

jbone said:
I have a lot of respect for those who want to go into OB/GYN. It takes someone with a strong stomach to look at an infected/moldy/slimy/cottage cheese drippin' vagina. (I'm turning Drop on so I need to quit :meanie: )
 
Doula-2-OB said:
That's me.

A doula is a birth support person. I stay with my client from the time she thinks she's in labor until after the birth. I help the parents with suggestions and to remind them to speak for what they want, and basically am somewhat of a labor coach. You can go to my website to find out more about what I do if you're really interested. 🙂

Are you starting college in the fall? Or a post bac?
 
No, not the ex-girlfriend association!!!! LOL

DropkickMurphy said:
Oh,thanks for the clarification. I was wondering for a second why you had picture of my ex-gf Lindsey as your avatar. 😀
 
Brickhouse said:
Are you starting college in the fall? Or a post bac?

I'm halfway through my second year and I'm just picking up where I left off a few years ago to finish my first four years.

Why? Am I a shining example of a pre-med cherry? LOL 😛
 
Brickhouse said:
Wow....the compassion is just oozing from your pores - staunchly pro-life and so beholden to a higher power - except if you have to treat homeless people...because they're dirty alcoholics and should stay far far away. WWJD, eh?


Um, I'm doing Emergency medicine precisely because I prefer crack ******, the homeless, and the really, really sick and injured to other kinds of patients. It's just my thing. Give me a fat, nasty, rude, homeless guy crapping himself as I do my exam any day over some Professor's wife complaining of chronic back pain.

Compassion's got nothing to do with it. I am no more or less compassionate than anybody else. Maybe I genuinely like the difficult patient. Maybe it's the freak-show. Who knows?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Psycho Doctor said:
no medical reason???

"Causes of penis cancer
The cause of penis cancer unknown but there is a higher incidence of penile cancer in uncircumcised men and men who do not keep the area under the foreskin clean. The presence of smegma, the cheese-like secretion under the foreskin, appears to increase the risk."

http://menshealth.about.com/cs/menonly/a/cancer_penis.htm
PD, Nice Article 👍
 
Like I was telling Drop

You know you all could just call me Steve, right?

No, not the ex-girlfriend association!!!! LOL

No, it's a good thing. There was an obvious reason why I dated her. 😉 *hopes his current girlfriend doesn't see this*
 
Doula-2-OB said:
Like I was telling Drop, I could eat a roast beef sandwich and watch a baby come out. It's no big deal to me. 😉 I've been to hospital births, homebirths, waterbirths, birth center, cesarean, vacuum, shoulder dystocia... etc etc. Nothing has made me gag yet!
How do you think you will feel when a woman comes to you and says I don't know what this discharge/foul odor is and spreads her legs. 😱 That is why I don't think I could do it.

Also I used to talk with my obgyn and he had a patient who wanted to get her baby out right then and there was no medical reason for it so he said no. Well her boyfriend pulled a gun on him and told him to do the cesarean. (I don't know what he thought he was going to achieve.)

How do you think you will feel when you have a patient who is still on crack halfway through their pregnancy? What about plan b and abortions?

I'm not trying to scare you. These are just the many reasons that I could not go into that field. OOOH THE DUCKBILLS!
 
LifetimeDoc said:
There already is one poster here that is in favor of male circumcision so that it reduces the sex drive in the male. So doctor's should participate in such a thing? I'm astounded to believe people would think of such a thing these days in the USA.

No, actually, you misread me (or maybe I wrote incorrectly). I am rather niave about the argument against circumcision. Although I knew there were individuals who were against it, I wasn't aware it was commonly opposed. (If you look up my background at all in my past posts, this might be somewhat obvious.) I was raised by a very conservative (religious, political, and in all other ways) rural, and rather poor family. So not circumsizing my son wasn't something I considered. No hating please, narrowmindedness isn't the same as niavete.
My, (rather niave) statement was in response to everyone saying that the pubice increases the sex drive/sensitivity - and I stated that my husband (circ'd) didn't seem to lack in that at all.
 
Brickhouse said:
It takes a strong stomach to look at those f*cking cats every time you post, too. good god, what's with that?
Hey, a cat must get some too! Can a kitty get a minute!

No really, my avatar is a representation of the whole medical school application process. I, unfortuntely, am the cat on the bottom getting rammed by the other cat (medical schools). I'll change it this fall when I start. Sorry to offend. Well, not really. 😉
 
Doula-2-OB said:
breck said:
Admitting a lack of expertise in a particular area definitely demonstrates honesty, modesty, and a dedication to excellence in delivering health care. Admitting a lack of expertise in your field of medicine demonstrates incompetence. Imagine taking your baby, who has an inguinal hernia, to a pediatric surgeon and being told that you need to take your baby to someone who is familiar with that operation 😱
How much of an OB's job is circumcision? If I don't spend the bulk of my time caring for vaginas and uteri and their neighbors, then I'm apparently looking at the wrong specialty.

This wasn't supposed to be a shot at you doula. However, given that OB/GYN's have traditionally performed circumcisions in the past (my Mom's OB'GYN did mine) I would think that most OB/GYN's would have been trained to do this. Therefore the answer to your question "How much of an OB's job is circumcision" is darn close to the answer to the question "How much of an OB's job is delivering male babies". Your original question implies that you don't even know the answer to the question you posed here, since you don't know if you will be required to do such procedures when/if you start your own training to become an ob/gyn.
 
Let me pose a question to all of you naturalists out there:
Do you not shave either? Clearly you are meant to have protective body hair and shaving removes the protection allow all kinds of disease to penetrate the skin barrier easier.

EDIT: Shave Anywhere (legs, arms, etc.)
 
BrettBatchelor said:
Let me pose a question to all of you naturalists out there:
Do you not shave either? Clearly you are meant to have protective body hair and shaving removes the protection allow all kinds of disease to penetrate the skin barrier easier.
Little personal there brett. But yes, I do. :laugh:
 
Panda Bear said:
Um, I'm doing Emergency medicine precisely because I prefer crack ******, the homeless, and the really, really sick and injured to other kinds of patients. It's just my thing. Give me a fat, nasty, rude, homeless guy crapping himself as I do my exam any day over some Professor's wife complaining of chronic back pain.

Compassion's got nothing to do with it. I am no more or less compassionate than anybody else. Maybe I genuinely like the difficult patient. Maybe it's the freak-show. Who knows?


I think that's great, you're going to help a lot of people.

I just was reading your blog and obviously misinterpreted it.
 
Nutmeg1621 said:
How do you think you will feel when a woman comes to you and says I don't know what this discharge/foul odor is and spreads her legs. 😱 That is why I don't think I could do it.

I'm dying laughing over here because I know it's true and I know it'll happen and I just have to be professional and slap that mask on fast!!! You know, to maintain sterile field or whatever excuse I can come up with!

I'd rather deal with stinky vaginas than anything to do with butts.

Also I used to talk with my obgyn and he had a patient who wanted to get her baby out right then and there was no medical reason for it so he said no. Well her boyfriend pulled a gun on him and told him to do the cesarean. (I don't know what he thought he was going to achieve.)


I'm sure I'll have the same experience when I tell some couple that I won't cut their son's foreskin off... Every job has its dangers, yk? I'm sure ER docs see WAY more of this type of thing than I would!

How do you think you will feel when you have a patient who is still on crack halfway through their pregnancy? What about plan b and abortions?

I'm not trying to scare you. These are just the many reasons that I could not go into that field. OOOH THE DUCKBILLS!

I will always just do my best. I can't change the world, and my impact might be small but it will be there. I'm really grateful that I have been doing work in birth before I ever got started toward med school because I have been exposed to how the tiniest things make the hugest difference to women. My OB is a great guy and he said to me a couple of weeks ago that even when you think you have made no impact, you can't know what events will echo out of what you do- and that you will burn out fast if you think that you make no difference at all. So I am going in assuming that even in a five minute exchange with a hostile patient that I might have something positive to leave her with. Who knows, right?

On a personal note I had the best pelvic exam of my life from an ER doc. He was very gentle, talked to me the entire time and instead of ignoring me and hiding under that stupid blue sheet he engaged me. It doesn't have to be all procedure/no humanity (and I know that's harsh but how many women have had a pelvic exam that isn't completely humiliating?), and I want to also train with midwives after med school to work on bringing the gentleness into my practice, too. We'll see how that pans out. 😉
 
jbone said:
Hey, a cat must get some too! Can a kitty get a minute!

No really, my avatar is a representation of the whole medical school application process. I, unfortuntely, am the cat on the bottom getting rammed by the other cat (medical schools). I'll change it this fall when I start. Sorry to offend. Well, not really. 😉


It's cool, I was just messin'. Congrats on med school - it's worth the pain! (or has been so far, talk to me in a year)
 
BrettBatchelor said:
Let me pose a question to all of you naturalists out there:
Do you not shave either? Clearly you are meant to have protective body hair and shaving removes the protection allow all kinds of disease to penetrate the skin barrier easier.

Define naturalists! 😉

Yes, I shave.
 
BrettBatchelor said:
Let me pose a question to all of you naturalists out there:
Do you not shave either? Clearly you are meant to have protective body hair and shaving removes the protection allow all kinds of disease to penetrate the skin barrier easier.

:laugh: The majority of women I know and have discussed this prefer to have smooth legs and underarms, and "tidy up" the rest.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doula-2-OB said:
I'm halfway through my second year and I'm just picking up where I left off a few years ago to finish my first four years.

Why? Am I a shining example of a pre-med cherry? LOL 😛

You are! I wish you a lot of luck, I hope you stick with it! I am an MSIII leaning towards Ob/gyn but it's not a field that gets a lot of positive press, as I'm sure you're well aware. I'm afraid I'll have a nervous breakdown from my first lawsuit because I can't handle people not liking me. 😳 :laugh:
 
Brickhouse, is that your child in your AV? Very cute, even eating a puppy. :laugh:
 
Doula-2-OB said:
I'm dying laughing over here because I know it's true and I know it'll happen and I just have to be professional and slap that mask on fast!!! You know, to maintain sterile field or whatever excuse I can come up with!

I'd rather deal with stinky vaginas than anything to do with butts.




I'm sure I'll have the same experience when I tell some couple that I won't cut their son's foreskin off... Every job has its dangers, yk? I'm sure ER docs see WAY more of this type of thing than I would!



I will always just do my best. I can't change the world, and my impact might be small but it will be there. I'm really grateful that I have been doing work in birth before I ever got started toward med school because I have been exposed to how the tiniest things make the hugest difference to women. My OB is a great guy and he said to me a couple of weeks ago that even when you think you have made no impact, you can't know what events will echo out of what you do- and that you will burn out fast if you think that you make no difference at all. So I am going in assuming that even in a five minute exchange with a hostile patient that I might have something positive to leave her with. Who knows, right?

On a personal note I had the best pelvic exam of my life from an ER doc. He was very gentle, talked to me the entire time and instead of ignoring me and hiding under that stupid blue sheet he engaged me. It doesn't have to be all procedure/no humanity (and I know that's harsh but how many women have had a pelvic exam that isn't completely humiliating?), and I want to also train with midwives after med school to work on bringing the gentleness into my practice, too. We'll see how that pans out. 😉

Then I think you will be a wonderful doctor! I don't think not circumsizing will be a big deal. The other downside to it is the residency, and it's long hours and on call. But I want to go into general surgery so hey! 😀

I think it will be a wonderful change for you and I believe that your experience as a doula will make you a more compasionate dr that is sought after by many pregnant women.
 
Brickhouse said:
It's cool, I was just messin'. Congrats on med school - it's worth the pain! (or has been so far, talk to me in a year)
So you are saying I should keep the cats? Just change what they stand for? Sounds good. Besides, I still can't figure out a way to post pics of my daughter as my avatar yet. So the cats will have to stay until I get a brain and figure it out.
 
Brickhouse said:
You are! I wish you a lot of luck, I hope you stick with it! I am an MSIII leaning towards Ob/gyn but it's not a field that gets a lot of positive press, as I'm sure you're well aware. I'm afraid I'll have a nervous breakdown from my first lawsuit because I can't handle people not liking me. 😳 :laugh:
Yeah, I read somewhere that 70 percent of ob/gyns get sued. I don't remember where I read that though.
 
Brickhouse said:
I think that's great, you're going to help a lot of people.

I just was reading your blog and obviously misinterpreted it.
'

It's all right. I'm not claiming that I weep and bleed for my indigent patients, just that they are usually very interesting from a medical point of view, almost always appreciative of whatever you can do for them, and I only have to worry about their acute issues most of the time.
 
Nutmeg1621 said:
Yeah, I read somewhere that 70 percent of ob/gyns get sued. I don't remember where I read that though.

It's got to be much higher than that considering that an estimated 50-65% physicians (OBGYN and nonOBGYN inclusive) get sued at least once during their career -("When Good Doctors Get Sued, 2001") -- according to sources you can find on Google.
 
Law2Doc said:
It's got to be much higher than that considering that an estimated 50-65% physicians (OBGYN and nonOBGYN inclusive) get sued at least once during their career -("When Good Doctors Get Sued, 2001") -- according to sources you can find on Google.
I think it said in their first 4 years or something like that though.
 
Psycho Doctor said:
no medical reason???

"Causes of penis cancer
The cause of penis cancer unknown but there is a higher incidence of penile cancer in uncircumcised men and men who do not keep the area under the foreskin clean. The presence of smegma, the cheese-like secretion under the foreskin, appears to increase the risk."

http://menshealth.about.com/cs/menonly/a/cancer_penis.htm
That article states a "higher incidence of penile cancer," but does not present any quantitative data to support this -- Strike 1!

The article does not present any explanation for why penile cancer is caused by smegma -- Strike 2! (Repeat after me, "Correlation does not equal Causation")

The only number given is that 1 in 100,000 (= 0.001%) of men in the United States contract penile cancer. That means only approximately 30 people in the US currently have penile cancer. ONLY 30! How could any meaningful data be obtained from A SAMPLE SIZE OF 30! BIG STRIKE 3!

Sorry, but I don't really think that I can take that article seriously.

EDIT: Sorry, I was always bad at doing math in my head. 1/100000 = 3000 people in the US. Still, unless EVERYBODY participated in the study (very unlikely,) it seems unlikely to be a large enough sample size from which to obtain statistically significant data.
 
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the lawsuits, really.

Hey y'all, thanks for the stimulating evening of conversation and keeping me entertained while I study for boards. I'm off to bed and back in the books at 8 am tomorrow. 😳

Goodnight!! 😍
 
Maybe it's the freak-show. Who knows?

*Puts his hand up and hops up and down*
I do, I do! I want to do emergency medicine for exactly that reason. I enjoy the freak show. It's like visiting my family- only with less stress, less violence, and better pay. :meanie:
 
Here is a website that says basically the same thing I read before. Only before I wasn't reading the Jewish World Review haha!
According to ACOG, 76 percent of its membership reports being sued at least once. Nearly 60 percent have had two or more claims filed against them, and 41 percent have been sued three or more times. On average, OB-GYNs have 2.6 claims filed against them during their careers. It takes an average of four years for a claim to be resolved, and 13 percent of claims take seven years or more.
http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/waroon.htm
The article was written in 2004 so the statistics may be a little different now.
 
BrettBatchelor said:
Let me pose a question to all of you naturalists out there:
Do you not shave either? Clearly you are meant to have protective body hair and shaving removes the protection allow all kinds of disease to penetrate the skin barrier easier.

EDIT: Shave Anywhere (legs, arms, etc.)
I do, but hair grows back if I change my mind.

FWIW: To me, skin feels different when it has a lot of hair on it vs. when it doesn't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jota_jota said:
I do, but hair grows back if I change my mind.

FWIW: To me, skin feels different when it has a lot of hair on it vs. when it doesn't.
My point was many of the supposed benefits of unc'ed are the same as hair. Shaving is a response to culture as is circumcision.

In the end it's an individual decision and I won't push an agenda.
 
Brickhouse said:
You are! I wish you a lot of luck, I hope you stick with it! I am an MSIII leaning towards Ob/gyn but it's not a field that gets a lot of positive press, as I'm sure you're well aware. I'm afraid I'll have a nervous breakdown from my first lawsuit because I can't handle people not liking me. 😳 :laugh:

It's all my optimism, isn't it... :laugh:
 
Carmenita79 said:
Oh please, cutting off the foreskin is not exactly castration.
Have you ever seen a Mogan(sp?) Clamp used for circs? It is like a guilotine(sp?), one false move and...Oops, there goes the tip of the penis! Though the Gomco(sp?) is much better! Sorry for all the mispelling! My brain is on vacation!