I am a little nervous...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AtYourCervix

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see that many of you are worried about letting medical schools see your list of schools that you are applying to. I just sent my AMCAS app to four med schools, and I left the list intact. Should I worry that the schools will see this? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Unless your EDP (which I can tell your not cause you applied to more than one school) the schools you apply to know that you are applying elsewhere. I really don't think they care. They might question if you applied to 50 schools, but don't worry about it. I sent mine off and didn't do anything to cover up which other schools I applied to.

Anyone agree or disagreee with me?

I think this has been covered before, but do you guys think it is really that bad if the schools see where you applied? I know of very few premeds who know for sure where they want to go. And the few who do, usually apply EDP or they have some connection with the school. It seems to me that a part of this whole application process is figuring out where you want to go. Thats why they send you viewbooks with your secondaries. Personally, I havent even been to half of the schools I am applying to. I figure I'll probably even make some decisions after I see the campus, and meet the students at some of these places. I think that the adcoms know this, and part of their job is to sell their school to the applicants that they want. Most med schools offer nearly 2 acceptances for every space in their class. Obviously they understand that people are going to turn down their school to go somewhere else. Its just a part of the whole process, and I dont think the adcoms are ignorant of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools know what other schools you applied to by the virtues of adcom databases that are out there. It doesn't matter if you show them your list; they know it already. Don't sweat the small stuff!

Adcom databases? Care to explain? It's not like one adcom has access to another adcom's database of applicants. I was under the impression that schools only know whether or not we have been accepted, and that's not until May 15th.

Not accepted, no. Applied, yes. Schools talk!

I didn't include my schools list when I sent in my printed AMCAS. I cut that page out. It probably looks funny, but I didn't want the schools to see where else. I don't actually think they care that much, but on the other hand I think it might look a little awkward if they just finish reading your essay about why you love their school and how unique it is and how it is your #1 choice, then they see you have applied to 40 other schools. For those of you who have already sent in the app with the list attached, don't sweat it. If you still have more printed AMCAS to send out, you might consider cutting the list off. Good luck.

Originally posted by Djanaba:
•Not accepted, no. Applied, yes. Schools talk!•

I agree its POSSIBLE for med schools to call each other and find out what schools you're applying to, but they're already overworked so I doubt that it occurs that much.

I can see them perhaps checking up on maybe superstellar applicants that they are really interested in, but do you really think they check up on massive numbers of applicants? Seems like a waste of time to me.

There was a thread on this topic not so long ago. The schools generally don't base admissions decisions on where else you are applying. It is kind of a naive fear to think that they do. You might get asked about what other programs you are applying to, and that is probably for the interviewer to see what type of applicant you are. You have to understand that medical schools compete with one another for the applicant pool. Many applicants have multiple acceptances and thus have to decide. You don't have to commit to any one particular school. You should also NEVER say that each school you apply to is #1 on your list. But if you do have a first-choice school, then it can't hurt to let them know about it. I think the key is to show interest in each program you are applying to and to know why you are applying. They DON'T want people who don't have the faintest interest in their program. However, they understand that you, as the applicant, have to make choices, just as they make choices when deciding who to admit. Djanaba, who posted above, was exactly right in saying "Don't sweat the small stuff." :D