I am in, what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to the USN. What is the next step?
I know some pharm colleges, along with the admission package send you an application for an intern license and advise you to work as an intern before your start and while in pharm school.
The USN is silent about it.
Do you guys think I should start my internship? How is it usually done?
How many hours do I need of internship? Is internship mandatory in order to become a pharmacist?
I currently work as a pharmacy technician in a local hospital. So, I probably could be working there as an intern over the summer. Do you think it will count as internship? How many hours of internship do I need in order to become a pharmacist?
I would really appreciate your comments
Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, conglaturations!!!

second, relax, savor the moment, enjoy your summer.

You have the next FOUR years to figure out the nitty gritty...if you havent yet, learn a bit about the top 100 drugs before school starts. Everything else will fall in place like clock work.

First of all, conglaturations!!!

thank you! :)
and thank you for your reply

second, relax, savor the moment, enjoy your summer.
I will have to work anyway, cause I need money, so why not work as an intern if I will have to get intern hours to get licensed..
Do you know if interns get paid or its working for free?

You have the next FOUR years to figure out the nitty gritty....

I am afraid that I will be spending my summers retaking classes that I failed during the school year. Pharmacy school scares the heck out of me....

.if you havent yet, learn a bit about the top 100 drugs before school starts. Everything else will fall in place like clock work
is there a list on internet?
What do you think I should learn? Generic names and brand names? Side effects and what the drug is used for?

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a list on internet?
What do you think I should learn? Generic names and brand names? Side effects and what the drug is used for?

Type "top 100 drugs" into Google. Google is good.

Interns do get paid, although it's similar in pay to what techs get. It was my understanding that you couldn't get an intern license until you matriculate (start school) in the fall. That's how it is in Colorado, anyway.

I'm a new student myself, so please, someone, correct me if I've got any of this wrong.

I got accepted to the USN. What is the next step?

The next step is to start complaining about how you will never find a job, and how the particular area you want to work in is saturated....

Intern license depends on what state you want to be licensed in. Go to the website of that state's board of pharmacy and see how many hours you need, if any, and when you can start as an intern (some states allow it once you're accepter, some tell you to wait). If you're eligible to start as an intern and need hours, submit the application once you start working at a pharmacy and have a pharmacist there sign off as your preceptor.

If you're eligible to start as an intern and need hours, submit the application once you start working at a pharmacy and have a pharmacist there sign off as your preceptor.

thank you. Its a very good advice. I did not think about preceptors...

Ok...I did...
So, what should I learn about those drugs
Generic names and brand names? Side effects and what the drug is used for?

yup...that would be a good start,

when thats done, learn about different pathways of metabolism, various pharmacokinetic parameters and possible grounds for drug/drug/ food interactions...ah jus kidding.

You are making this way too easy, just go with your guts. Pharmacy school is not all its cranked up to be:)

Ok...I did...
So, what should I learn about those drugs
Generic names and brand names? Side effects and what the drug is used for?

Learn what you want, it is summer time, once school starts then you will have plenty of people telling you what to do.

Top 200 is for nerds.

Learn what you want, it is summer time, once school starts then you will have plenty of people telling you what to do.

Top 200 is for nerds.

werd....
take a vacation, go someplace you always wanted to. because honestly, welcome to hell on earth, if you don't find it difficult, you will find it annoying. very annoying.

Congrats! Don't do anything pharmacy related (unless you need to get a job).

Best case scenario, anything you learn will give you a leg up on the first test. Worst case (and most likely) you'll have wasted an entire summer learning things that you would have learned anyways within in the first two weeks.

The next step is to start complaining about how you will never find a job, and how the particular area you want to work in is saturated....

Make your connections and network with your pharmacy preceptors, and supervisors/DMs now. These social/professional connections will help you find a good/decent full time pharmacy job in a market that's fairly saturated.

Sadly, a big part of finding a good job is about who you know in this world..

good luck