I am Really nervous with my GPA.. Please help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crossfinger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am 4th year student in University of Iowa.
My major is BS Biochemistry and I think my last overall GPA is gonna be 3.35 which is low..
I do not know about the science GPA yet..
I volunteered about 100 hrs in University of Iowa hospital.
I do not have many things to show ... When I think about this, I am regretting really a lot..
but past is past. I do not want to stay in the past forever..anyway.
This semester is last one for me.. (but I need to take summer class for my prerequisite)
I am going to study for PCAT in summer and take the test also in this year too.

These days are really hard times to me because I am always worried about my future.
Well.. many people around me took the test before 4th year but I didnt..
I came from Asia 6 years ago and luckily, I have permanent residency in U.S.
So.. I really do not know much about pharmacy school..
Please help me ..

I saw many pharm schools that have high average GPA than mine..

One of my target pharmacy school is University of Iowa

What Pharm school would you recommend to me?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from my university with a 2.74 cumulative gpa, but did a year of post-baccalaureate work and brought my GPA up to about a 3.0. Took the PCAT once, got a 95 or thereabouts. I also am applying as a resident of a west coast state.

Anyways, U Iowa was one of the schools I applied to, and I was impressed by their interview process. Everyone there was very nice, looks like a strong program. I was offered a seat, but had to decline as it ended up being much more difficult to return home if need be (my mother was recently widowed, and my grandmother's health is declining, so I'd like to be able to return home quickly if need be).

Anyways, I tell you this as your GPA is competitive, but you might want to take time to build your CV. The volunteering is good, especially if you can tell the committee how it relates to your goals in pharmacy. I would use your remaining time in school to get more extracurricular opportunities. Maybe attach yourself to a research lab if that interests you, or do some community outreach in ways that inspire you to be a part of your community. My impression of Iowa is that they really value a well rounded candidate with leadership/teamwork capabilities and someone who is involved with the practice and their community.

On that note, their hopsital is impressive, maybe I can link with Iowa in the future. On another note the food at bluebird cafe was a transcendental experience, that alone might pull me back to Iowa City for a visit.

If you have any doubts visit the office and see if they can council you on how to better improve your application, and tell them you would like to continue at Iowa. They had a supremely supportive student's affairs office, and Dean Kelly was super approachable when I visited.

I had my strongpoints and weakpoints when applying to pharmacy schools as well. The luxury in the PharmCAS website is that you can review school data and what the avg GPA was of previously enrolled classes, how many had bachelor's degrees, etc. After studying the schools enough, you will begin to notice trends in schools that seem to favor bachelor's degree students, those that favor super high GPA averages, etc. From there, you can gauge which schools you will have the best shot at getting in to based on what your strongpoints and weakpoints are. For example, I looked for schools that weren't so much concerned with GPA or bachelor's degree attainment so much as experience in the field, leadership, and character. Not saying you can scrap GPA and walk in with a 2.0 or anything by any means of course though, but apply to the schools that you think would favor you. My GPA was 3.1 entering pharmacy school and I didn't have a bachelor's degree either. My advice is to apply to many schools, but focus your efforts on the schools that will be most likely to accept you based on how well your own CV matches up to the colleges' typical accepted student. I spent many hours on PharmCAS studying trends, but was accepted to 3 schools after targeting certain ones that I seemed to match best with (they didn't have super high GPA or bachelor's degree students entering their program...average, but not high in either category). So look for where you fit and start busting out some leadership and pharmacy experience prior to interview time! Have things to discuss about the profession when you get to that interview!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to two schools and they both accepted me with a 3.30 GPA. I had C's in my gen Chem courses but redeemed myself with Ochem and the PCAT. I did not have any pharmacy experience however, I had a part time job at a senior living facility. I would say study REALLY hard for the PCAT. If I did it, you can do it.