I believe I have a chance, but undergrad was a rocky road

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NolesFan1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently going through an existential crisis and have no idea what I want to do with my life. While I was an undergrad, I was really dead-set on either going to dental, medical, or PA school, but due to toxic relationships, problems with my family, and mental health issues, I ended up not applying to any programs and am currently settling with a job with which I'm not satisfied (cell culture biologist). I really wanted to get a job in the medical field because I find the human body and human health fascinating, I want to work with and help people, and I also like the possibility of teaching and doing research as a doctor later on in life. I conducted research on plant microbiomes during my undergrad and had so much fun with it, and feel like dermatology or GI would be good fields for me due to the relevance of the human microbiome. A career in public health/disease research would also greatly interest me, but I fear working a job in one of these fields due to the low pay (student loan debt). Every one of my close family members/friends have always supported me in my desire to go to medical school, and I truly believe I would be a great physician, but I just have this overwhelming fear that I won't get in because of how rocky my undergrad years were . I know I won't know until I try, but applying is a lot of time, money, and effort, and I would still have to take physics II, organic chemistry lab, and biochemistry to fulfill the pre-reqs.

To begin on a positive note, I graduated from FSU in the Spring of 2019 in biology with honors. Upon initially looking at my qualifications, I believe I would have a shot at successfully getting into medical school: I graduated with a 3.88 GPA, have 2+ years of experience with undergraduate research on top of having successfully defended my honors thesis, receiving a grant for my research, and presenting at university research symposiums, I was a TA for an undergraduate research program for 2 years, was active in the university marching band and college of music, and was a member of a music service fraternity. I also worked while in college (lifeguard) and my current job has helped me better my aseptic techniques and fine motor skills. However, while an undergrad, I was never a full time student during my junior year (dropped a class my spring semester as well), dropped out for a semester my super senior year (was only taking physics), and don't have any medical volunteer/shadowing hours outside of having shadowed my dentist for a winter break. I do have valid reasons for why I wasn't a full time student my junior year and why I dropped my fifth year, but I'm terrified that I wouldn't even be able to make it to the interview phase to explain myself due to it being visible on my transcript. I applied to FSU to return for the summer to take my pre-req courses, and starting in March, I intend on finding time to shadow doctors/PA's to really solidify if the medical field is right for me, and I want to find ways to volunteer both in and outside of the medical community.

I'm just unsure, I guess. I know I shouldn't be scared of trying because I never will know unless I do, but I'm just scared of wasting money and feeling like a failure if everything does go awry. Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. I really do appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am currently going through an existential crisis and have no idea what I want to do with my life. While I was an undergrad, I was really dead-set on either going to dental, medical, or PA school, but due to toxic relationships, problems with my family, and mental health issues, I ended up not applying to any programs and am currently settling with a job with which I'm not satisfied (cell culture biologist). I really wanted to get a job in the medical field because I find the human body and human health fascinating, I want to work with and help people, and I also like the possibility of teaching and doing research as a doctor later on in life. I conducted research on plant microbiomes during my undergrad and had so much fun with it, and feel like dermatology or GI would be good fields for me due to the relevance of the human microbiome. A career in public health/disease research would also greatly interest me, but I fear working a job in one of these fields due to the low pay (student loan debt). Every one of my close family members/friends have always supported me in my desire to go to medical school, and I truly believe I would be a great physician, but I just have this overwhelming fear that I won't get in because of how rocky my undergrad years were . I know I won't know until I try, but applying is a lot of time, money, and effort, and I would still have to take physics II, organic chemistry lab, and biochemistry to fulfill the pre-reqs.

To begin on a positive note, I graduated from FSU in the Spring of 2019 in biology with honors. Upon initially looking at my qualifications, I believe I would have a shot at successfully getting into medical school: I graduated with a 3.88 GPA, have 2+ years of experience with undergraduate research on top of having successfully defended my honors thesis, receiving a grant for my research, and presenting at university research symposiums, I was a TA for an undergraduate research program for 2 years, was active in the university marching band and college of music, and was a member of a music service fraternity. I also worked while in college (lifeguard) and my current job has helped me better my aseptic techniques and fine motor skills. However, while an undergrad, I was never a full time student during my junior year (dropped a class my spring semester as well), dropped out for a semester my super senior year (was only taking physics), and don't have any medical volunteer/shadowing hours outside of having shadowed my dentist for a winter break. I do have valid reasons for why I wasn't a full time student my junior year and why I dropped my fifth year, but I'm terrified that I wouldn't even be able to make it to the interview phase to explain myself due to it being visible on my transcript. I applied to FSU to return for the summer to take my pre-req courses, and starting in March, I intend on finding time to shadow doctors/PA's to really solidify if the medical field is right for me, and I want to find ways to volunteer both in and outside of the medical community.

I'm just unsure, I guess. I know I shouldn't be scared of trying because I never will know unless I do, but I'm just scared of wasting money and feeling like a failure if everything does go awry. Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. I really do appreciate it :)

First off: clinical exposure and shadowing? I don't see it in your description.

Second: if you still have to get prereqs like OC2 lab, biochem, and P2, I would be sure to see what other prereqs or recommended classes you may also need to take (psychology/sociology). Your research probably will be a nice plus but won't really get you traction compared to clinical experience and community service affecting vulnerable populations.

Third: get some help with interviewing skills by talking with your prehealth advisor and career services office at minimum. You're also going to have to think about what to say with personal statements and garner strong letters of recommendation.

First off: clinical exposure and shadowing? I don't see it in your description.

Second: if you still have to get prereqs like OC2 lab, biochem, and P2, I would be sure to see what other prereqs or recommended classes you may also need to take (psychology/sociology). Your research probably will be a nice plus but won't really get you traction compared to clinical experience and community service affecting vulnerable populations.

Third: get some help with interviewing skills by talking with your prehealth advisor and career services office at minimum. You're also going to have to think about what to say with personal statements and garner strong letters of recommendation.

Hello,

One: I don’t currently have shadowing/clinical hours but that’s something I plan on obtaining before/after I apply to medical school in the fall. I also am planning on volunteering this spring but want to find an organization that would be a good fit for me.

Two: I’ll definitely look into other possible classes I could take but I’ve already taken microbio w/lab, cell structure + function, anatomy and phys I and II, and medical terminology, but I know sociology is recommended for some programs.

Three: personal statement is definitely what I’d be more concerned about but I’ll definitely make sure to utilize FSU’s career center for that this summer.

Thank you for your advice and response!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t currently have shadowing/clinical hours but that’s something I plan on obtaining until/after I apply to medical school in the fall. I also am planning on volunteering this spring but want to find an organization that would be a good fit for me.
No no no… you have to get that BEFORE you apply. Thousands of people who will be applying have around 100+ hours of shadowing that they have accounted for, and if I were a screener comparing someone with zero hours to hundreds/thousands of others with 100+ hours... it's easy to know who I'd likely screen out. Future hours don't count. Don't waste your money, time, or mental energy with a less than optimal application.

Reactions: 3 users
No no no… you have to get that BEFORE you apply. Thousands of people who will be applying have around 100+ hours of shadowing that they have accounted for, and if I were a screener comparing someone with zero hours to hundreds/thousands of others with 100+ hours... it's easy to know who I'd likely screen out. Future hours don't count. Don't waste your money, time, or mental energy with a less than optimal application.

Thanks for the advice on hours after the application process. I was/am definitely intending on getting hours in before I apply. I’m just unsure of realistically how many I would be able to get, although I’m sure from now until November I could easily get into the 100’s range. I realize why my initial response may have suggested I was planning on waiting until after I applied lol

Thanks for the advice on hours after the application process. I was/am definitely intending on getting hours in before I apply. I’m just unsure of realistically how many I would be able to get, although I’m sure from now until November I could easily get into the 100’s range. I realize why my initial response may have suggested I was planning on waiting until after I applied lol

Then don’t apply. Take another year or two and do it right. You don’t seem ready to apply on June 1, 2020. Is that your plan? I’m hoping I misread your post. I doubt you will be ready to apply on June 1, 2021. You only want to apply one time with the best possible application. Remember that only about 40 percent of all applicants are accepted each cycle-20% with one acceptance and 20% with more than one. That means 60 percent are rejected each cycle including applicants with stellar applications. So slow down and do it right. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Then don’t apply. Take another year or two and do it right. You don’t seem ready to apply on June 1, 2020. Is that your plan? I’m hoping I misread your post. I doubt you will be ready to apply on June 1, 2021. You only want to apply one time with the best possible application. Remember that only about 40 percent of all applicants are accepted each cycle-20% with one acceptance and 20% with more than one. That means 60 percent are rejected each cycle including applicants with stellar applications. So slow down and do it right. Good luck.

I’m now assuming that I got the entire timeline wrong because I assumed like with undergrad, applying for Fall 2021 would take place in Fall 2020? I still have a lot of research to do on the timeline, so thank you for pointing that out. That being said, I am definitely not intending on applying this June. June 2021 is when I’d be applying, so I have a little over a year. Hopefully that’s enough time? But thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Spend some time getting it all straight in your head. You don’t want to miss something important. AMCAS opens around a June 1 each year for primary submission and transcript verification. Lots of people submit early and some later but it is highly recommended to have everything complete by Labor Day.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice to see another UROP leader!

Let me know if you have anymore questions or just want to vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.