I clicked on one of the Caribbean ads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

wxman393

"AUC's residency attainment rate for first-time eligible graduates was 86.4 percent. That rate surpassed the MATCH rates of US citizen international medical graduates (53.9%), non-US citizen international medical graduates (50.5%), and osteopathic medical school graduates (80.3%)." (my bold).

Source: http://www.aucmed.edu/alumni/residency-placement/2016-residency-placements.aspx

Curious if data presented like this would dissuade pre-meds from going the DO route in favor of going to the Caribbean.

Please note: I am not here to bash the Caribbean medical schools. I have family members that graduated from SGU and have been successful throughout their careers.

Edit: spelling/bold

Members don't see this ad.

"AUC's residency attainment rate for first-time eligible graduates was 86.4 percent. That rate surpassed the MATCH rates of US citizen international medical graduates (53.9%), non-US citizen international medical graduates (50.5%), and osteopathic medical school graduates (80.3%)." (my bold).

Source: http://www.aucmed.edu/alumni/residency-placement/2016-residency-placements.aspx

Curious if data presented like this would dissuade pre-meds from going the DO route in favor of going to the Caribbean.

Please note: I am not here to bash the Caribbean medical schools. I have family members that graduated from SGU and have been successful throughout their careers.

The kinds of students that would be dissuaded by this kind of deceptive marketing are not smart enough to get into a DO school.

Reactions: 12 users
I mean yeah, the entire Carib marketing campaign is based on fudging numbers. They know that DO schools are seriously starting to cut into their market lately so of course they'd try and make themselves seem superior. What they don't tell you is this is the % of students who match ACGME and don't include the AOA matches. Once you factor in the latter it's like 99%.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean yeah, the entire Carib marketing campaign is based on fudging numbers. They know that DO schools are seriously starting to cut into their market lately so of course they'd try and make themselves seem superior. What they don't tell you is this is the % of students who match ACGME and don't include the AOA matches. Once you factor in the latter it's like 99%.

Right, with the AOA residencies DO match after scramble is essentially 100%. And the number of DO students who mind you get to the point of being able to even apply is percent wise probably near double.

The kinds of students that would be dissuaded by this kind of deceptive marketing are not smart enough to get into a DO school.

I am pretty sure a sizable amount of US MD students would fit this scenario also. The ones that get fooled are usually the ones who haven't developed the life skills to make wise choices. The ones who made it into MD school and applied caribbean were lucky they were book smart enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you think they're any obligation or legal edict to tell the truth???????

Reactions: 1 users

Not only does it ignore AOA, but the fact that its talks about "attainment" and "match" as if they are synonymous only to make their numbers sound better is ridiculously dubious. Attainment for DOs is >99.6%. Match for DO "first-attempt graduates" is around 89%. If they actually compare apples to apples they're numbers are jokes. I could easily see someone who just glances at the line without actually thinking about it being like "oh, wow AUC is better than DO schools". That said, anyone who doesn't take the time to evaluate for themselves the independent data shouldn't be applying just yet to med school.

On my second board exam, there were passages that consisted of a full page misleading drug ad, followed by several biostats questions that had me analyzing the data in the ad.

Maybe the MCAT should have similar passages, but with Caribbean med school ads. Separating the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Reactions: 6 users
Who gives a rat's ass about Caribbean schools really? Do we even have to talk about it? There is North America with MD and DO. Everything else falls into one big family of "other" so called schools like Somalia, Nigeria, Madagascar, Caribbean etc

I clicked on one of the Caribbean ads and was accepted

Reactions: 27 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I clicked on one of the Caribbean ads and was accepted

LOL. Reminds me of a story from college days....

A friend was lamenting what to do with her life. Wasn't sure she wanted to do med school and was considering other options. She was scoping out a DC school...clicked the "find out more about XYZ School" which automatically redirected her to fill out their financial aid forms online.

She went to vet school.

The other day reps from one of the big 3 Caribbean schools came into our cadaver lab and tried to recruit one of our cadavers. It wasn't until they checked the pulse that they realized he didn't meet the requirements for admission.

Reactions: 10 users
The other day reps from one of the big 3 Caribbean schools came into our cadaver lab and tried to recruit one of our cadavers. It wasn't until they checked the pulse that they realized he didn't meet the requirements for admission.

I started reading this and literally thought they were there to take one of the cadavers back to their school for anatomy lab.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
What school allows a rep from another school to walk into there lab. Sounds like a made up story

What school allows a rep from another school to walk into there lab. Sounds like a made up story
No it really happens. I was in our sim lab last year, practicing CPR on a mannequin. It was one of those expensive mannequins that generates a palpable pulse when you are doing it right. As I was doing chest compressions, a Caribbean recruiter dropped by and checked the mannequin's carotid pulse.

Result: mannequin accepted

Reactions: 10 users
No it really happens. I was in our sim lab last year, practicing CPR on a mannequin. It was one of those expensive mannequins that generates a palpable pulse when you are doing it right. As I was doing chest compressions, a Caribbean recruiter dropped by and checked the mannequin's carotid pulse.

Laugh now, but this is how it always starts. First the mannequins start getting into med school, then before you know it they start saying they can offer equal or better healthcare outcomes

Reactions: 11 users

What was the mannequin's credit score?

I'd assume he had no college debt which puts him ahead of the curve.

Reactions: 1 user
The latter.
Not sure if sarcasm...or stupid....>.>

There's another URM advantage. ...under represented mannequins.
Laugh now, but this is how it always starts. First the mannequins start getting into med school, then before you know it they start saying they can offer equal or better healthcare outcomes

Reactions: 4 users

Not to mention that our government will slap a loan onto anything with a pulse also, driving the cost of school even further through the roof.

Not to mention that our government will slap a loan onto anything with a pulse also, driving the cost of school even further through the roof.

The state governments don't want to pony up the money to help subsidize the cost of eduction. Thus leading to higher educational costs and then leading to more loan money being taken out.