I could puke! Oh, PCAT - What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I decided to pay the $20 to see my PCAT scores early. I knew I wasn't prepared when I took it, and I almost chose the "no score" option. Now I wish that I had. My scores were much lower than I anticipated.

I am not going to take the Aug test and take the October test instead. But, I am worried about the 50 point jump cancellation policy (50 points would only put me at the lower end of even being competitive - Yes, it was that bad)

So, what do I do? Opinions? Confused and frustrated!

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

So, you think that I should take both the Aug and Oct tests? I was going to skip the Aug test and take the Oct instead. But, hey... It's just money. haha!

Go for it, you don't want to have one those "what if I.." moments. however, make sure you are prepared

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you should take both Aug and Oct ... if you are not ready for the Aug one, I would highly recommend you do not take it. If you score lowly on that one as well, how would that look? Pretty bad I think =X I would prepare as best you can and take either the Oct or Jan one. If you have questions about the 50-point-thingy, I would call Pearson, explain your situation and ask them directly.

I don't think you should take both Aug and Oct ... if you are not ready for the Aug one, I would highly recommend you do not take it. If you score lowly on that one as well, how would that look? Pretty bad I think =X I would prepare as best you can and take either the Oct or Jan one. If you have questions about the 50-point-thingy, I would call Pearson, explain your situation and ask them directly.

I would take both, you have 4 weeks to prepare for the august exam. Now start studying.

Well, I decided to pay the $20 to see my PCAT scores early. I knew I wasn't prepared when I took it, and I almost chose the "no score" option. Now I wish that I had. My scores were much lower than I anticipated.

I am not going to take the Aug test and take the October test instead. But, I am worried about the 50 point jump cancellation policy (50 points would only put me at the lower end of even being competitive - Yes, it was that bad)

Thanks,

Wait until August 2010. Spend the entire year studying and guarantee yourself a 50+ point jump. Take October for no score if you want the practice, but if you get that test scored you're screwed - either it's too low to get in or it's too high to count!

Thanks,

If I were you, I would take both Aug and Oct tests. First, the Aug test can be a real practice for you. Second, if you can do 40 and 40 increments, your score will look fantastic, and you don't have to worry about automatic cancellation. Third, it will be a good sign to show that you are making improvements steadily. Fourth, you may miss the application dealines if you only take the Oct test because you are likely going to appeal, which may take awhile. Fifth, repeating the tests will show your commitment. The only downside is the $150 registration fee. However, it's surely worth it, if you can get into a school in 2010 instead of 2011.

I have never seen anyone getting the fifty point gain while lots of people worry about it. Surely, someone who gained fifty points and had their scores canceled would post here about it. I figure that almost nobody gets a fifty point gain so that is why Pearson's has that policy. If you think about it, why would they implement a policy that is guaranteed to generate an appeal if it happens with some frequency? My advice would be to study like crazy and take the exam when you are prepared but be realistic. You probably aren't going to get a fifty point gain so don't change your plans based on that scenario.

I'm confused....50pts jump? in your composite? or what...I never heard of this.....X_x

If you go up 50 points in your composite within a thirteen month period, they automatically cancel your scores but you can appeal it. I assume they think there is a strong possibility of cheating so they want to check it out. I can't fathom how you could cheat and raise your score 50 points unless you actually had someone else take the exam for you.