I could really use some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

th.bbbb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took DAT for the first time this past Friday, and I'm not sure if I have any chances for this year's cycle with this score... I honestly do want to retake because my QR and PAT scores are awfully low. I definitely wasn't prepared for them, but I wanna hear back from what others think and get some advices.
I have already submitted all my letters of recommendation (from 2 science professors and 1 dentist) and transcripts. I just need to finalize my personal statement and submit it.

Here's my stats though:

Illinois resident
oGPA: 3.70
sGPA: 3.56 (major: molecular and cellular biology)
DAT: 20 AA // 20 TS (21 BIO // 19 GC // 22 OC) // 21 RC // QR 17 and PAT 15 (awfully low)
Shadowing:
- ~110 hours at the dental clinic (administrative and clinical intern)
- Global Dental Brigades @ Honduras (included volunteering and shadowing physicians/dentists)
(No research experience)
Work experience: barista at a local cafe

Should I retake DAT and not apply this cycle?
or should I apply and where would I be capable of or have a bit of chances?
I am thinking about UIC, SIU, University of Louisville, University of Minnesota, Case Western
Where should I add or take out?

I'd really appreciate the help asap!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
aside from those two sections your GPA and scores are good. i would consider retaking the DAT and applying very early next cycle.

very interesting situation. You could apply to a couple schools where you have the best chances, but i really dont know what to think of the PAT score. perhaps feralis or someone else could give some better insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a great shot just submit now!

15 in PAT will put you below the cutoff for some schools. Call them and double check.

Definitely retake to raise your PAT. Most schools have cutoffs at 17/18 subscore.

Also it's somewhat late in the cycle, maybe apply next year? You won't feel rushed studying for a retake. Also, if you've already graduated, you can work as a paid dental assistant or a part-time gig to save some $$$ for some nice loupes when you start d-school :)

Would it be possible to retake and still apply this cycle? and notify them that I'm retaking it and update them with the new score?

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be possible to retake and still apply this cycle? and notify them that I'm retaking it and update them with the new score?
if you retake which is 90 days minimum after your first test, you would be kinda late with your score, even if you got a 25. you already got a 20AA so you can kill your retake provided you retain all your knowledge. to bring up the PAT score, i would invest in more resources, namely CDP royal flush since it has no expiration with trains and 10 practice exams. pair that with dat bootcamp 3 months before your retake and youll bring it up easily. the more practice exams you expose yourself to and doing the trainers everyday, that 15 will be an afterthought.