I didn't take biochem, what to focus on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scavok

Accepted!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hadn't taken biochem in my prereqs but now, being accepted, don't have any classes until august and hove obtained a biochem book to read through.

I was wondering what (if anything) in particular I should really stress my studying on, so any suggestions?

I didn't know if this thread should go here or in pre-chem, but wanted suggestions from current pharm students :)

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I hadn't taken biochem in my prereqs but now, being accepted, don't have any classes until august and hove obtained a biochem book to read through.

I was wondering what (if anything) in particular I should really stress my studying on, so any suggestions?

I didn't know if this thread should go here or in pre-chem, but wanted suggestions from current pharm students :)

Thanks all!
first of all..congrats

second of all...get rid of that way toolish signature of yours. nobody gives 2 craps about your stats. This isn't the allopathic forum...they have serious mental masturbation (uh-oh, aphestis the almighty god of moderators may ban me again!) sessions about stats over there but its not like that on this side of sdn...we are way cooler and more laid back (unless your name is requiem who used to be cool)

third- chill out and enjoy yourself. your profs will teach you all you need to know about biochem. If you really want to be ambitious, go and take a summer course on it at the local community college. Other than that, seriously relax and enjoy yourself. You need to start fresh and relaxed.

Good luck!

haha i love it... i totally agree with cavers 2nd point. but yes, congrats and enjoy the summer before the "real fun" begins !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your admission! I agree with the others, relax and enjoy your summer. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Edited: I skimmed through your application essays (haha I was curious) and I've got to say, you seem to be passionate about pharmacy! :)

unless you're planning to spend your whole summer memorizing every figure and molecule, it won't do you any good to learn the material now. you are going to regret it if you don't make the best out of your summer.

I like essay 3..hahah...the above poster made me curious so I looked.

OK - I'll go slightly against the grain here, and suggest that if you really feel like you want to look at some biochem, the thing I would look at is all the metabolic cycles (glycolytic, etc.). That was the one area that gave me a lot of trouble, and when you actually take those topics in class, it will be a lot of different cycles presented in a very short amount of time. So, just a bit of looking at them this summer so it won't be the first time you see them in the fall might be good. Other than that, enjoy yourself!

OK - I'll go slightly against the grain here, and suggest that if you really feel like you want to look at some biochem, the thing I would look at is all the metabolic cycles (glycolytic, etc.). That was the one area that gave me a lot of trouble, and when you actually take those topics in class, it will be a lot of different cycles presented in a very short amount of time. So, just a bit of looking at them this summer so it won't be the first time you see them in the fall might be good. Other than that, enjoy yourself!

I would also recommend just enjoying your summer before the crazyness begins, but if you really feel like getting a head start, as rxlynn mentioned, going through the metabolic pathways wouldn't be a bad idea. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to review pKa, pH relationships...you'll probably need to know the henderson-hassleback equation.

I don't think it would really benefit to go through it by yourself for the first time cause it just would not stick and won't really make any sense. I think that they will teach you what you need to know in pharmacy school. If they felt that their students were struggling with biochem, they would have already made it a pre-req

Ha, I agree with the signature dealy, Caverject. But the fact is that (some secretly) most pre-pharm students wonder what kind of grades/scores/everything else the people who were accepted had going in but its generally considered rude to ask I guess. I know I always wondered, and I would still show the stats if they were only half as good just to appease the curious.

I'm glad the few of you liked the essays, they are linked for the same reason ^ :laugh:. I'd like to read others' if anyone wants to share :)

Anyway, thanks for the points on the pathways. Biochem is a required pre-req for those applying next year and it seems most of my classmates have taken it for this year. If nothing else I just want to be able to recognize some of the vocab :)

Lol Scavok your signature made me laugh. Your stats and essay are getting put to good use...I'm using your essays as examples for when I need to write my statements. And your website looks pretty cool. Thanks!

LoLz. you're stats aren't even that good to brag about them like that. especially since you didn't take biochem.

second of all...get rid of that way toolish signature of yours. nobody gives 2 craps about your stats. This isn't the allopathic forum...they have serious mental masturbation (uh-oh, aphestis the almighty god of moderators may ban me again!) sessions about stats over there but its not like that on this side of sdn...we are way cooler and more laid back (unless your name is requiem who used to be cool)

Oh, dear Cavvy, this is why we love you.;)

If you are going to be a pharmacist, a biochemistry course is pretty much overkill. They make us all take it anyway. This is because they are all sadists. They will reteach all of the pathways that drugs actually affect in pharmacology. The only concept you really need to get is the whole metabolic thing with glycolysis, lipolysis, and all the rest of that wonderful **** as it will make endocrinology easier later on.

LoLz. you're stats aren't even that good to brag about them like that. especially since you didn't take biochem.

LoLz Did I mention the half dozen W's and a repeated class? Who said I was bragging? I'm just sharing; thats my point (missed or not) :)

Back to the topic, thanks WVUPharm, thats a good point. I had expected as much, but wasn't so sure when I saw that it was actually going to be required for the next class.