I don’t have a great title for this bs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What a disappointing discussion, especially for physicians to have. I am 53, white, and fat. I was skinny until I was pregnant but despite my best efforts, I gained 75 pounds during the pregnancy. It was devastating. In the last twenty some on years, I have tried every diet to shift it: low carb, low fat, Leto, Mediterranean…. Each time, I lose weight and then gain it back plus. I have come close to ending my life over my weight. Shaming me might tip me over the edge. I recently started seeing a therapist to work on weight issues who believes my compulsive eating is linked to my significant abuse history. I’ve also visited with a dietician. I tried Wegovy, lost 30 pounds, and it stopped working and I gained the weight back while on it.

My weight is the single greatest issue in my life and it isn’t a matter of not wanting it, not trying, or being ignorant. Shaming me will hurt my efforts.

Obesity is multi factorial and complicated.
I think you're amazing for what you've recognized and admitted to yourself. I don't doubt your eating is linked to your abuse history. Food addiction is probably the most undiagnosed addiction around. If you feel like you've tried everything and failed and you're going to eat yourself to death because you can't stop eating I wouldn't give up.

Admittingly, I'm not a food addict and I don't suffer from addiction but I do treat opioid addiction disorders and I know a lot about food addiction. If you want, PM me and we can talk more. I can put you in touch with many people who have been in your exact situation and have found very successful treatment. Don't feel like you're alone, you're definitely not and there are communities of people out there who want to help you because there were people who helped them.

This thread is definitely not about people like you. It's about political viewpoints on the left and the right. Who or what is responsible for the outcomes of people? Personal dietary habits are just microcosms of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Mark my words. American innovation and our economy will falter over the next 50 years compared to the previous 50, because the liberal part of america no longer believe in meritocracy.
I think you're right. I also think it's inevitable and is the natural evolution of a successful empire. Once success and wealth are reached, people are no longer hungry for them. The cycle continues.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're amazing for what you've recognized and admitted to yourself. I don't doubt your eating is linked to your abuse history. Food addiction is probably the most undiagnosed addiction around. If you feel like you've tried everything and failed and you're going to eat yourself to death because you can't stop eating I wouldn't give up.

Admittingly, I'm not a food addict and I don't suffer from addiction but I do treat opioid addiction disorders and I know a lot about food addiction. If you want, PM me and we can talk more. I can put you in touch with many people who have been in your exact situation and have found very successful treatment. Don't feel like you're alone, you're definitely not and there are communities of people out there who want to help you because there were people who helped them.

This thread is definitely not about people like you. It's about political viewpoints on the left and the right. Who or what is responsible for the outcomes of people? Personal dietary habits are just microcosms of this.
Thank you. I will reach out to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)