I don’t have a great title for this bs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You might be surprised to learn that some other things happened in recent history as well!
Shockingly it happens to every group recently. Did you miss the Kung Fu Flu and Asian discrimination? As a whole, asians continue to be discriminated against but they just accept this and rise above. Better to Rise above than wallow in pity and blame.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
completely missing the point.

why walk 2 miles to get healthy food, take hour to do so, especially if you are using a walker or cane, or are worried about random gunfire or driveby shooting, when you can just literally go next door to the local convenience store, get a bag of highly processed food - made with high fructose corn syrup + hydrogenated oil slop - that gives instant dopamine release and oral gratification that will never come from a healthy meal, but will temporarily bring "joy" a depressing life with no hope for the future?

even those who want to eat healthy are surrounded by enticements that work against maintaining this lifestyle - McDonalds, BK, Wendys, KFC, Taco Hell, all around the corner. with kids who become addicted to the gratification asking constantly for instant satisfaction.....

You can still lose weight with unhealthy food. Just eat less. This is a huge problem. People constantly stuff their faces and even a single pang of hunger sends them in a panic.

I typically eat once a day. It's not a lifestyle that's for everyone but it works fine for me. I get some hunger during the day but I work through it. And surprisingly, it works fine.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian on every point but you can make reasonable choices at fast food places even. I know because I do.

Wendy's: eat the chili and a baked potato with no butter or sour cream

McDonald's: get a burger with no cheese. Have some apple slices. No soda, just water etc.

People can make better choices. Some people just refuse and want to wallow in their own misery and continue to make bad choices.

It isn't ideal but if they aren't by a farmers market or Whole foods, that doesn't mean they throw in the towel and just stuff their faces with the most unhealthy stuff out there.

Reactions: 3 users
LOL! How condescending and racist is this typical liberal….

IMG_9847.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Haha
they dont realize they are racist by supporting affirmative action.

Ok. I concede you that point regarding the reference.

However I have meet plenty of progressives in the real world who expressed this exact belief to me.
thats fine.

but this is why we probably need to listen to ducttape and cross reference our sources

Good point here on how ridiculous is forced diversity instead of meritocracy.

View attachment 373731
Interestingly, Candace Owens never graduated from college

She had to drop out because of “problems with student loans”

Not sure how she reconciles her “academic merit” with all the high profile jobs she got

Not sure how she reconciles her “academic merit” with all the high profile jobs she got
maybe so, but that doesn't what she stated here any less true.

I still remember as a kid hearing some racist white people bringing up stories of personal infidelity to discredit the work and the man known as MLK.

Whether those background stories were true or not, it doesn't mean that the message of MLK or Candace Owens doesn't have merit.

It's funny how much you sound like those racist white people from the 80s right now. You're using any means necessary to justify your position other than intellectual debate.

This is the MO of the modern democratic party. You work hard to shut down free speech, because progressives can't win arguments on intellectual merit.

• Okay...
It's funny how much you sound like those racist white people from the 80s right now. You're using any means necessary to justify your position other than intellectual debate.
Whup you caught me. On the Internet no one knows you’re a dog.

I think this court case just means colleges can't have an explicit race-based process for admissions.

Any number of other factors can be used to maintain the higher barrier for Asians, in the name of diversity. It just won't be "institutional" and spelled out in the policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this court case just means colleges can't have an explicit race-based process for admissions.

Any number of other factors can be used to maintain the higher barrier for Asians, in the name of diversity. It just won't be "institutional" and spelled out in the policy.
This is exactly what happened in Michigan when we made a state law outlawing race-based admissions. Oh, you live in this particular suburb of Detroit? You went to this particular high school with a high-failure rate? You get extra points on admission.

maybe so, but that doesn't what she stated here any less true.

I still remember as a kid hearing some racist white people bringing up stories of personal infidelity to discredit the work and the man known as MLK.

Whether those background stories were true or not, it doesn't mean that the message of MLK or Candace Owens doesn't have merit.

This is the MO of the modern democratic party. You work hard to shut down free speech, because progressives can't win arguments on intellectual merit.

I've noticed the longer a discussion goes on, the more likely you are to move to thinly veiled personal attacks along with broad anti-Democrat and anti-liberal generalizations.

I've noticed the longer a discussion goes on, the more likely you are to move to thinly veiled personal attacks along with broad anti-Democrat and anti-liberal generalizations.
How very Antifa of you to say that

How very Antifa of you to say that

In this case I did so immediately after Agast made a personal attack (instead of an intellectual argument) against Candace owens.

I’m just directing your hypocrisy right back at you.

You both had a major loss this week. Deal with it.

Last edited:
In this case I did immediately after Agast made a personal attack (instead of an intellectual argument) against Candace owens.

You had a major loss this week. Deal with it.
Personal attack? You took it personally that she didn’t graduate from college? It’s not even meant to be an argument, it’s an observation. Some people climb the ladder and then kick it out behind them.

In this case I did so immediately after Agast made a personal attack (instead of an intellectual argument) against Candace owens.

You both had a major loss this week. Deal with it.
You posted two Twitter clickbait posts, one of which was a fake account. Your second source was questioned and you went for personal attacks and anti-liberal tirade which is completely unnecessary and does nothing to further your point. I assume your goal is to have reasonable discussion and not just rant.

Your posts where you simply describe your position are much more reasonable. I've read them and am actually quite close to many of your views including abortion, transgender rights, and reasonable gun control to name a few. This despite the fact that I'm left-leaning.

As far as affirmative action, I agree with the ruling. I do think affirmative action had an important role when the country was more racist in the past. At this point though, I think it hurts more people than it helps.

even those who want to eat healthy are surrounded by enticements that work against maintaining this lifestyle - McDonalds, BK, Wendys, KFC, Taco Hell, all around the corner. with kids who become addicted to the gratification asking constantly for instant satisfaction.....
This is right. It's all around us. Food/sugar are the worst drugs out there. The sad truth is that there is no stopping it.

the US has given roughly $349 billion to the middle east since WWII. of that amount, $150 billion went to 1 country alone - israel.

on average, the US gives $3.3 billion to israel per year. the next highest amount is Egypt at $1.3 billion, and then Jordan, at most at $1.3 billion.

other nations have also provided financial aid to israel, including Germany.

as with everything in this capitalistic world, things are a lot easier when one has $$$
I don't have strong feelings on US aid and I'll leave it to those in charge to decide whether or not it benefits us but you're only considering foreign aid. If you look at money classified differently the numbers don't look the same. For instance, keeping troops in Japan cost the US about $7 billion per year and the DOD gave about $10 billion per year to Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Not classified as foreign aid but a big cost to the US, no doubt.

Again, not really. I've read quite a bit on this topic. Let me guess, those who don't agree with you are the ones who are misinformed.
reading about it, and actually experiencing it and being from the area is completely different

reading about it, and actually experiencing it and being from the area is completely different
I definitely agree with you here but history has a lot to do with the area, more so than many other regions of the world.

Last edited:
Opinion | Identity Politics Could Kill America’s Scientific Edge — The Wall Street Journal

China will likely dominate in science over the US this century because the Middle Kingdom recognizes true excellence comes from the innate drive and intelligence of an individual, not their skin color or sexual identity.

Forced diversity is pointless.
Lowering the standards for some will result in lowering the quality of life for all.
Ah yes, China - a culture well known for celebrating individuality.

I mean, you’re not wrong about them likely outpacing us in science but your reason why is so ridiculously off base. Kind of reminds me of this great take:

1688950797004.jpeg

Last edited:
Chinese culture values intellectualism. Pre communism, the Scholar Class was essentially the upper class. Chinese are superstitious but not religious. Essentially the opposite of MAGA. Keeping such a large country in check is difficult, so the government rules through fear. Fearful people do not go on to discover great things. I don’t trust research data out of China, too many studies are faked as there is enormous pressure on their scientists to be top producers.

Reactions: 2 users
OMG!!
This is what happens when liberals are in power.

DEI is fast becoming communism. Your personal beliefs do not matter. These people are all about denying free will and freedom of speech.

“Comply and be assimilated, resistance is futile”

I would definitely drop whatever BS insurance plan this is!

When the SC allows bigots to discriminate due to “sincerely held beliefs”, and refuse services to some based on arbitrary rules set by a fictional book, followed by a bunch of zealots… then it is NOT the left that is the problem

The same Christians who get all up in arms about “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” are the ones doing the persecuting of minorities.

• Dislike

She, like Thomas, Kanye etc are the “useful idiots” that Republicans trot out to “show” their diversity… meanwhile their elected officials are almost all White, Christian, male

Good point here on how ridiculous is forced diversity instead of meritocracy.

View attachment 373731

This is such a stupid argument…
The issue is not that minorities with “lesser” credentials are being admitted etc, its the fact that a lot of them had fewer opportunities to get the education, exposure etc to allow them to succeed.

If a 3rd of Harvard admissions are legacy does that not help one race waayyy more than the other?

If I could afford MCAT prep course is my 37 better than a 34 from someone who did it on their own?
Its like someone being good at skiing.., it IS a race thing since that sport is expensive and a lot of minority families are unable to afford it…. So if someone gets graded on their skiing as a big factor, that will definitely skew the results in someones favour

Houston had this a while back where they got permission to expand class size by ?50 or so very close to the deadline for the match… so they lowered the bar & took their 1st 50 “rejects”… then followed them for a study.. as expected, no difference

The issue is not that minorities with “lesser” credentials are being admitted etc, its the fact that a lot of them had fewer opportunities to get the education, exposure etc to allow them to succeed.

If a 3rd of Harvard admissions are legacy does that not help one race waayyy more than the other?

If I could afford MCAT prep course is my 37 better than a 34 from someone who did it on their own?
Its like someone being good at skiing.., it IS a race thing since that sport is expensive and a lot of minority families are unable to afford it…. So if someone gets graded on their skiing as a big factor, that will definitely skew the results in someones favour

Houston had this a while back where they got permission to expand class size by ?50 or so very close to the deadline for the match… so they lowered the bar & took their 1st 50 “rejects”… then followed them for a study.. as expected, no difference

Certain minorities with lesser credentials are being admitted, specifically Black and Hispanic students. Admissions is a zero sum game so Asian students usually bear the brunt of the unfair rejections. This is seen time and time again.

They get punished for their success and have their accomplishments belittled. Often times they are in households where English is not the primary language of their parents but they still succeed.

I know that was the case for myself. If I needed help with anything related to literature/English etc, even in elementary school, I was out of luck. This is very common but all too often ignored by critics who want to down play the academic success of Asian students.

Legacy admissions are bogus as well and should eventually be dealt with.
-----------------------

Regarding the MCAT score of someone who studied hard to get a 37 versus someone who is naturally gifted gets a 34.

Why does that even matter? The 37 is a better score. Doesn't matter if they had to study a ton more. That doesn't invalidate their score if they were buried in books.

Natural talent can only take you so far. Ultimately you have to study and work on your craft. Give me the student who got great results and worked hard.

------------------------------------------------------

-----

Does an MCAT prep course help improve your MCAT score vs studying on your own? I'm not so sure.

There are plenty of white people who can't afford to go skiing either. Some can't even afford indoor plumbing. Believe it or not, there are even black people out there who can afford to go skiing.

Doesn't it make better sense to make some type of affirmative action program based on income rather than on race?

Opinion | Identity Politics Could Kill America’s Scientific Edge — The Wall Street Journal

China will likely dominate in science over the US this century because the Middle Kingdom recognizes true excellence comes from the innate drive and intelligence of an individual, not their skin color or sexual identity.

Lowering the standards for some will result in lowering the quality of life for all.
you completely, again, miss the point.

it is not lowering standards for everyone. it is raising the standards for everyone. big difference.

2 sides of the same coin.
no vastly different. one group is a belief in a god, and this belief can become subservient to a group of elders, leaders who decide policy. superstitions are individually held beliefs that have a basis in societal morals.

wars are rarely fought over superstitions. religion (and religious power) is a significant cause for war.

Does an MCAT prep course help improve your MCAT score vs studying on your own? I'm not so sure.

There are plenty of white people who can't afford to go skiing either. Some can't even afford indoor plumbing. Believe it or not, there are even black people out there who can afford to go skiing.

Doesn't it make better sense to make some type of affirmative action program based on income rather than on race?
in short answer, yes. apparently 5 to 10 points?

affirmative action programs, if based on income, may disproportionately help minorities.

but then again, that would be considered a hand out and not endorsed by a certain group of americans...

Certain minorities with lesser credentials are being admitted, specifically Black and Hispanic students. Admissions is a zero sum game so Asian students usually bear the brunt of the unfair rejections. This is seen time and time again.

They get punished for their success and have their accomplishments belittled. Often times they are in households where English is not the primary language of their parents but they still succeed.

I know that was the case for myself. If I needed help with anything related to literature/English etc, even in elementary school, I was out of luck. This is very common but all too often ignored by critics who want to down play the academic success of Asian students.

-----------------------

Regarding the MCAT score of someone who studied hard to get a 37 versus someone who is naturally gifted gets a 34.

Why does that even matter? The 37 is a better score. Doesn't matter if they had to study a ton more. That doesn't invalidate their score if they were buried in books.

Natural talent can only take you so far. Ultimately you have to study and work on your craft. Give me the student who got great results and worked hard.

-----
1. when polled, the majority of Asian students favor affirmative action, even though it may disproportionately affect their chances of admission, because diversity of campus is viewed so highly.

2. the issue is that lower SES classes are not provided the advantages that are readily available to higher ones - the ability to study in a quiet environment, the resources to be able to study and to learn, the books you talk about, the exposure to teachers who can guide students correctly, the class environment that encourages booklearning over street smarts or sports smarts, etc...

3. asian americans consistently are graded with lower "personal rating"...

affirmative action programs, if based on income, may disproportionately help minorities.

but then again, that would be considered a hand out and not endorsed by a certain group of americans...

1. when polled, the majority of Asian students favor affirmative action, even though it may disproportionately affect their chances of admission, because diversity of campus is viewed so highly.

2. the issue is that lower SES classes are not provided the advantages that are readily available to higher ones - the ability to study in a quiet environment, the resources to be able to study and to learn, the books you talk about, the exposure to teachers who can guide students correctly, the class environment that encourages booklearning over street smarts or sports smarts, etc...

Disproportionate or not, it would still attempt to help people based on income and not on race. That would be far more inclusive.

I'm curious, link some studies showing the mcat differences for the prep courses. I'd like to read them. My guess is that it's mostly marketing from the prep companies comparing those who take the course vs those who don't. The group who takes it may be more motivated to begin with, etc. I'm interested either way.

Courses do have a “this is how they will get you so make sure you don’t fall for it” vibe.

Plus just the fact that someone can afford to take off work to study vs someone who cannot has an impact

Income - Sure… but that does translate in to race pretty well as well (unfortunately)

Theo Huxtable/ Carlton etc probably don’t need it but of some of them get in while we get more Jazz in, I’m OK with that… perfect is the enemy of good and so I am for it (although the way some schools have responded to it stating that since “they can take race into account” etc they will do just that… this may not end up being an issue for certain schools)

Republicans though… on cue… are now targeting race based scholarships as well… never mind the hundreds of years of advantages they had… now even a feather’s weight on a scale towards minorities, and they get all up in arms about “fairness” 🙄

Agree that plenty of white people are poor (although despite policies they somehow still vote Rep), but like with voting restrictions etc, even if Reps end up hurting more white people than black, the %s are higher for black (given smaller population) and hence its a bigger effect…. The law can be “same” but if it negatively affects one section of society more then it needs to be looked at

I don’t think there is any solution to this… but I am happy with an “unfair” solution that helps right some of the wrongs..

Last edited:
  • Dislike

-----------------------

-----

It wasn’t a naturally gifted vs study hard comparison… it was one who had the opportunity to take a course which DOES teach the material but also test taking strategies etc

If someone is on 3 BPs meds and another one 1, and they have the same BP readings, their disease is not the same…

Duct. I think you pull these “polls” out from thin air.

Please show me a large poll (without leading questions) by an independent third party (not legacy media) that shows me that Asians support discrimination against then.

Dude/dudette

There would be NO diversity if it hadn’t needed to be FORCED… see Civil War!!!

Any right that was needed for anyone to have the same rights as another HAD to be forced

Whether its womens votes, integration, disabled access/accommodations, etc ALL had be FOUGHT for…. Jeez 🤦‍♂️

Dude/dudette

There would be NO diversity if it hadn’t needed to be FORCED… see Civil War!!!

Any right that was needed for anyone to have the same rights as another HAD to be forced

Whether its womens votes, integration, disabled access/accommodations, etc ALL had be FOUGHT for…. Jeez 🤦‍♂️
You sound like a very left wing liberal. Why are you assuming I’m only one of two genders ? Isn’t that discrimination?

Also it appears that you don’t believe in democracy but in forcing people to act and speak according to your specific worldview, because everyone else is less enlightened than you.

U definitely check all the boxes for an arrogant, condescending, free speech suppressing, far left socialist.

• Okay...
You sound like a very left wing liberal. Why are you assuming I’m only one of two genders ? Isn’t that discrimination?

Also it appears that you don’t believe in democracy but in forcing people to act and speak according to your specific worldview, because everyone else is less enlightened than you.

U definitely check all the boxes for an arrogant, condescending, free speech suppressing, far left socialist.

My party isn’t the one banning books that teach actual US history, or trying to say the Tulsa massacre had nothing to do with race, or allowing people & businesses to discriminate against certain people..

As for democracy…. As my previous comment showed, if we did that we would perhaps still have slavery.. it took the collective beat down of the racist Southern (now Republican states) to have them even consider it… as time has shown, left wing policies always win out.. it may take a while but whatever was fought for, eventually became the norm… while your party keeps bitching about “back in my day” 🤦‍♂️

Additionally, a majority of people support gay marriage, not denying them rights, sensible gun control etc… but on that issue Reps dont care about “democracy”,

Have fun enjoying the rights that others fought & died for, and now keeping others from having those rights….

Last edited:
Duct. I think you pull these “polls” out from thin air.

Please show me a large poll (without leading questions) by an independent third party (not legacy media) that shows me that Asians support discrimination against then.
you ask the question, you should find the polls.

but since i know you wont search...

Among Asian adults who have heard of affirmative action, views do not vary significantly by nativity, though there are some differences by length of time that immigrants have lived in the United States.

• More than half of those born in the U.S. (56%) and about half of immigrants (52%) say affirmative action is a good thing.
  • Among Asian immigrants, 12% of those who have lived in the U.S. for 10 years or less say it is a bad thing, as do 17% of immigrants who have been in the U.S. between 11 and 20 years. Half of Asian immigrants who have lived in the U.S. for 21 years or more say affirmative action is a good thing, while 25% say it is a bad thing. Another 25% say they don’t know if it’s good or bad.

the majority favor affirmative action per se.

does not mean that the majority think that race should factor in to college admissions.

Asked about a list of factors that colleges should consider, only 21% of Asian adults say colleges should consider race and ethnicity when deciding which students to accept. By contrast, Asian adults broadly say high school grades (87%), community service (71%) and standardized test scores (71%) should be factors considered in college admissions.

if you believe that affirmative action is negative and is primarily discriminatory against asians, then you are technically correct in your assumption. if you believe affirmative action is positive and helps lead to diversity on campuses, then technically asians are for affirmative action.

Chinese culture values intellectualism. Pre communism, the Scholar Class was essentially the upper class. Chinese are superstitious but not religious. Essentially the opposite of MAGA. Keeping such a large country in check is difficult, so the government rules through fear. Fearful people do not go on to discover great things. I don’t trust research data out of China, too many studies are faked as there is enormous pressure on their scientists to be top producers.

Agast, I appreciate your insight into ancient and modern chinese culture, very helpful.

I do have a couple of thoughts. Regarding not trusting research data out of china, are you mostly referring to medical/biological research? or also the "hard" sciences of physics, math, chemistry, electric cars, aircraft engines, etc?

I agree that fearful people do not discover great things, however strong government interest and investment in science must pay some dividends, which I do expect will happen with China.

I spent a summer working at the American Medical Center of Moscow in the late 90s. It was staffed by mostly western trained physicians from US and Western Europe, but also two particularly intelligent Russian physicians. They told me that medical research had been greatly held back during all of communism, because a physician could never disprove the medical research of another physician who was higher in the party, and still plan to keep his/her job. So at that point the Russians were literally 40 years behind the rest of the world in medical science.

However, during that same summer I was also very impressed by the aptitude of a high percent of general russians for hard science. Math, chemistry, physics, engineering, etc. The communist schools emphasized science and math from an early age. Virtually everyone took college level calculus, chemistry, and physics well before college.
This contrasts greatly with our current american school system which is focused on woke BS, and feelings instead of the kids truly learning anything that matters.

And yes, there are plenty of pasty white nerdy innovators (the bill gates, larry page, steve jobs, Elon Musk types, etc) who are now being denied placement to MIT, Caltech, Stanford, and Harvard in favor of charity admissions to lesser qualified students who won the race/sex lottery.

Mark my words. American innovation and our economy will falter over the next 50 years compared to the previous 50, because the liberal part of america no longer believe in meritocracy.

Hopefully, some of this loss of innovation will be blunted by the recent supreme court's decision, which reflects the belief of the majority of Americans in a meritocratic society.

And duct, this poll link is for you 😉
Most Americans approve of Supreme Court decision restricting use of race in college admissions: POLL

Last edited:
  • Dislike
And yes, there are plenty of pasty white nerdy innovators (the bill gates, larry page, steve jobs, Elon Musk types, etc) who are now being denied placement to MIT, Caltech, Stanford, and Harvard in favor of charity admissions to lesser qualified students who won the race/sex lottery.

Mark my words. American innovation and our economy will falter over the next 50 years compared to the previous 50, because the liberal part of america no longer believe in meritocracy.

Hopefully, some of this loss of innovation will be blunted by the recent supreme court's decision, which reflects the belief of the majority of Americans in a meritocratic society.

And duct, this poll link is for you 😉
Most Americans approve of Supreme Court decision restricting use of race in college admissions: POLL
It's an old but persistent myth that these colleges forge innovators. They select would-be innovators and try to indoctrinate them. Some drop out, like two of the people you mentioned. Others become innovators in spite of their indoctrination.

But I do agree that America might lose its edge because of the inexorable march to socialism. In medicine for example, so much of what we do is based on Medicare payments, determined by a central committee of sorts. Not exactly an incubator for innovation...

Well, traditionally the intelligent children from other countries would try to come to the US for college and then stay here to work, because the lifestyle here is much better. However it’s gotten harder to get a green card as a highly skilled immigrant so now they’re going elsewhere.

Elon Musk, richest man in the world, is an immigrant to the US btw. His early education was in South Africa, then he claimed Canadian citizenship to make it easier to get American citizenship later.

What a disappointing discussion, especially for physicians to have. I am 53, white, and fat. I was skinny until I was pregnant but despite my best efforts, I gained 75 pounds during the pregnancy. It was devastating. In the last twenty some on years, I have tried every diet to shift it: low carb, low fat, Leto, Mediterranean…. Each time, I lose weight and then gain it back plus. I have come close to ending my life over my weight. Shaming me might tip me over the edge. I recently started seeing a therapist to work on weight issues who believes my compulsive eating is linked to my significant abuse history. I’ve also visited with a dietician. I tried Wegovy, lost 30 pounds, and it stopped working and I gained the weight back while on it.

My weight is the single greatest issue in my life and it isn’t a matter of not wanting it, not trying, or being ignorant. Shaming me will hurt my efforts.

Obesity is multi factorial and complicated.