I don’t have a great title for this bs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So .08 cents of that bread is a serving? Is that even one slice? Check the added sugar. It's better than white bread but certainly not unprocessed. Sorry frozen blueberries as an after dinner snack is different than fresh. I personally am too lazy to make it into a smoothie vs reaching in the fridge and eating immediately. Amount of effort needed for the average person is irrelevant if the change isn't happening.

You think your personal experience and anecdote is applicable across the country. I have plenty of weekly interaction with working class people on Medicaid or living paycheck to paycheck without college degrees outside of clinic. We occasionally volunteer at a hot meal food truck. That doesn't make me any more qualified on eating habits of the poor as you seem to think.

People are already paying for their food choices with poor personal health, and we are paying with healthcare taxes and welfare. Your credo of personal responsibility, mental toughness, and telling people not to be lazy doesn't work and accomplishes nothing. Change must be either be legislated or start from the POV of those being targeted.
Now you're reaching and being nitpicky. Sorry, but I don't feel bad for someone who has to thaw out their blueberries for 2 minutes on the table. Is that too much effort for you to expect someone to take on?

Spend 18 cents per slice if you want for the WW bread below if you don't like the first option. It's even baked with love. 2 slices of bread, a slice of cheese, 2 eggs, a slice of tomato and lettuce. Not bad and probably less than $1. Not too bad of a meal, probably 400-500 calories and should be pretty filling. Are you telling me that these same poor people who lack the time and resources to make this are NOT the same exact ones spending much more money at McDonalds? Is that what you're trying to say? Besides, did you notice the EBT on the bottom of each pic? Do you know what that means? It means that their snap benefits will cover this food. So, money is not the reason people are not eating this and that sandwich may take 5 minutes to whip up so it's not time either.

B.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Now you're reaching and being nitpicky. Sorry, but I don't feel bad for someone who has to thaw out their blueberries for 2 minutes on the table. Is that too much effort for you to expect someone to take on?

Spend 18 cents per slice if you want for the WW bread below if you don't like the first option. It's even baked with love. 2 slices of bread, a slice of cheese, 2 eggs, a slice of tomato and lettuce. Not bad and probably less than $1. Not too bad of a meal, probably 400-500 calories and should be pretty filling. Are you telling me that these same poor people who lack the time and resources to make this are NOT the same exact ones spending much more money at McDonalds? Is that what you're trying to say? Besides, did you notice the EBT on the bottom of each pic? Do you know what that means? It means that their snap benefits will cover this food. So, money is not the reason people are not eating this and that sandwich may take 5 minutes to whip up so it's not time either.

View attachment 372717

you are whistling past the graveyard, here.

you might be right, but it doesnt matter.

"Your credo of personal responsibility, mental toughness, and telling people not to be lazy doesn't work and accomplishes nothing"

Members don't see this ad :)
you are whistling past the graveyard, here.

you might be right, but it doesnt matter.

"Your credo of personal responsibility, mental toughness, and telling people not to be lazy doesn't work and accomplishes nothing"
Fair enough but unfortunately, outside of controlling one's own caloric intake, there is nothing anyone else can do. No one will agree on what's healthy as there are far too many vested interests involved. Just look at how Bloomberg was skewered when he tried to do away with the >16 oz sugary drink thing. I mean soda. Just think about how awful and nutritionally devoid soda is and his policy fell flat on its face.

Here are some ideas for parents:
-Kids should be encouraged to eat less processed food. Parents should lead by example
-Never tell a child to finish his or her plate. Eat only what you want and nothing more
-Use smaller-sized plates so portions appear larger than they are.
-Do not reward children with junk food as it creates a bad relationship with food.
-Children should not bring sweets to class on their birthdays to give out to other children. Schools should create and enforce this policy.

Fair enough but unfortunately, outside of controlling one's own caloric intake, there is nothing anyone else can do. No one will agree on what's healthy as there are far too many vested interests involved. Just look at how Bloomberg was skewered when he tried to do away with the >16 oz sugary drink thing. I mean soda. Just think about how awful and nutritionally devoid soda is and his policy fell flat on its face.

Here are some ideas for parents:
-Kids should be encouraged to eat less processed food. Parents should lead by example
-Never tell a child to finish his or her plate. Eat only what you want and nothing more
-Use smaller-sized plates so portions appear larger than they are.
-Do not reward children with junk food as it creates a bad relationship with food.
-Children should not bring sweets to class on their birthdays to give out to other children. Schools should create and enforce this policy.
Dare I say DEI could help in implementing those ideas you've stated?!

• Dislike
  • Haha
Dare I say DEI could help in implementing those ideas you've stated?!
Not sure and I'm not sure what DEI has to do with it. Plenty of obesity to go around for everyone and it's only going to get worse.

Reactions: 1 user
it is not unreasonable for an office that sees women and/or minorities to have some staff that are women and minorities. would a woman feel comfortable being seen in an office that had an all male staff - gynecologist, APP, nurse, male secretary, without at least one representative female?

yes yes i know you are going to say "well we hire the most qualified people" but that begs the question - as there are many qualified minorities just begging to be hired. and obviously an office can have no minority staff, but they can use DEI to make up for the lack of actual diversity, to better understand other cultures and make patients feel like they are represented.

i hate to say this, but you are making the situation racist.

DEI includes being sensitive to the specific needs of rural people. do you think it is appropriate for a NYC guy to come down to rural Appalachia who refuses to relate to rural problems such as access to healthcare? "get a friggin' Ubah to get to youse doctahs, ya loser" is sure going to go over well.

your last paragraph is classic. Maybe you think it extreme, but what if you grew up in an environment where everyone smoked, everyone drank, everyone used drugs, where the only exercise was one hardcourt basketball court that you had to earn your way on to play. where if you showed signs of empathy, you get bullied and beaten up. where the expectations were that to make it, you were expected by your peers to join one of the street gangs after dropping out of school at age 14 and sell drugs until you OD'd or were gunned down. where the average girl got pregnant at age 16 and end up raising that kid by herself with no male parental figure around.

In addition, in terms of poor eating habits - I think we are all aware that poor quality food has addictive properties - ie high fructose corn syrup and the like. There have been some interesting studies that suggest the reason why lower SES families allow use of these poor quality foods stems from the psychological "benefits"/highs that kids get from eating food as a replacement for not being able to provide other forms of enjoyment.... whether true or not...

In the end, your blithe statements will come across to a minority as a rich white mans solution with no thought of D,E, or I in to their lives.

This patient was black and specifically chose an OB GYN who was the same race.

Unfortunately she had a bad outcome and died. Not to be cruel, but when you look solely at race or use it as a huge factor, you will run into issues like this.

This story didn't get too much play because it doesn't fit the racism narrative that is out there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It should always be the best person for the job. I don't want the diversity hire operating on me or my family. If they're white or black or whatever, just be good at your job. In an ideal world, a physician and their patient would share some commonality but it isn't an ideal world. My south Asian parent had an emergency CABG by a white woman half his age. Nothing in common but she did a good job.

Besides, if a white patient requested a white doctor, how would that play? I don't think it would be perceived with the same amount of sympathy.

-----------------------------------------

People are fat because they eat too much. It feels good to eat a pop tart and not as much to eat kale.

It is more expensive to eat junk food nowadays. This is a fact. Cookies, chips etc have really gone up in price the last 2 years.

You can easily buy cheap produce from places like Aldi etc ( I know because I still enjoy shopping there).

Kids are not deprived. I work at an FQHC. Patients often bring their kids who are watching tablets or smart phones. They're watching the same YouTube videos my kids watch. How is that being deprived of they are getting the same entertainment that the kids of a physician are?

People are lazy and instead of shaming them we've thrown in the towel and just accepted everyone's obesity.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure and I'm not sure what DEI has to do with it. Plenty of obesity to go around for everyone and it's only going to get worse.
Hah I like that last line, the DEI comment was sot of tongue-in-cheek.

I was in a Cancun resort recently and obesity is certainly not a problem limited to just the lower socioeconomic status.

This patient was black and specifically chose an OB GYN who was the same race.

Unfortunately she had a bad outcome and died. Not to be cruel, but when you look solely at race or use it as a huge factor, you will run into issues like this.

This story didn't get too much play because it doesn't fit the racism narrative that is out there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It should always be the best person for the job. I don't want the diversity hire operating on me or my family. If they're white or black or whatever, just be good at your job. In an ideal world, a physician and their patient would share some commonality but it isn't an ideal world. My south Asian parent had an emergency CABG by a white woman half his age. Nothing in common but she did a good job.

Besides, if a white patient requested a white doctor, how would that play? I don't think it would be perceived with the same amount of sympathy.

-----------------------------------------

People are fat because they eat too much. It feels good to eat a pop tart and not as much to eat kale.

It is more expensive to eat junk food nowadays. This is a fact. Cookies, chips etc have really gone up in price the last 2 years.

You can easily buy cheap produce from places like Aldi etc ( I know because I still enjoy shopping there).

Kids are not deprived. I work at an FQHC. Patients often bring their kids who are watching tablets or smart phones. They're watching the same YouTube videos my kids watch. How is that being deprived of they are getting the same entertainment that the kids of a physician are?

People are lazy and instead of shaming them we've thrown in the towel and just accepted everyone's obesity.
This is right on the money.

Just one thing to add in case those pop-tart people aren't aware- take some kale, dry it out, toss with some olive oil and a bit of salt and bake it. You just turned a boring food into a pretty tasty dish of kale chips. It's a lot better than it sounds and is cheaper than the tart.

Also, if anyone cares - kale is pretty easy to grow and like spinach, peas, and lettuce, can tolerate the cold. You can grow it after your summer garden has been harvested and into winter. It's also pretty decorative so you could probably sneak around the hoa too if need be.

This is right on the money.

Just one thing to add in case those pop-tart people aren't aware- take some kale, dry it out, toss with some olive oil and a bit of salt and bake it. You just turned a boring food into a pretty tasty dish of kale chips. It's a lot better than it sounds and is cheaper than the tart.

Also, if anyone cares - kale is pretty easy to grow and like spinach, peas, and lettuce, can tolerate the cold. You can grow it after your summer garden has been harvested and into winter. It's also pretty decorative so you could probably sneak around the hoa too if need be.
it still tastes like shoe leather, and when you add the salt and oil, how healthy is it?

and dont talk to me about massaging kale. that is where i draw the line

it still tastes like shoe leather, and when you add the salt and oil, how healthy is it?

and dont talk to me about massaging kale. that is where i draw the line
I personally don't think oil is unhealthy at all nor is a bit of salt (for most people). I'm referring to the healthy fats that are naturally pressed and not hexane extracted, etc.

I don't even think fats make you fat. I think fat makes you feel satiated so overall you eat fewer calories. Protein too.

Very interesting discussion,

I feel like I grew up thinking everyone should be equal, be given an equal chance, be rewarded for hard work, ect. I enjoyed learning about different cultures and ethnicities. I never really cared or thought about race, ect. Served in the army, which can be very diverse.

Now, all I am being that my way of thinking is wrong. I should be thinking of race, etc all the time and in every situation. And you can’t speak or disagree with the trainings they are putting out lest you be shunned.

As a side, I have always thought the color of your skin is directly related to your genetics and your juxtaposition to the equator over centuries. I think it is great to have diversity and different cultures and ethnicities. However, the current initiative seems to have a goal to mix everyone up; mix up all the diversity into a big soup. My thoughts are that will just lead to a lack of diversity over time (probably not in my lifetime). And the sun will eventually determine the color of our skin over centuries. At least in the United States, many other countries are still very segregated and maintain their culture.

Anyways, someone will probably flip out about what I said.

Very interesting discussion,

I feel like I grew up thinking everyone should be equal, be given an equal chance, be rewarded for hard work, ect. I enjoyed learning about different cultures and ethnicities. I never really cared or thought about race, ect. Served in the army, which can be very diverse.

Now, all I am being that my way of thinking is wrong. I should be thinking of race, etc all the time and in every situation. And you can’t speak or disagree with the trainings they are putting out lest you be shunned.

As a side, I have always thought the color of your skin is directly related to your genetics and your juxtaposition to the equator over centuries. I think it is great to have diversity and different cultures and ethnicities. However, the current initiative seems to have a goal to mix everyone up; mix up all the diversity into a big soup. My thoughts are that will just lead to a lack of diversity over time (probably not in my lifetime). And the sun will eventually determine the color of our skin over centuries. At least in the United States, many other countries are still very segregated and maintain their culture.

Anyways, someone will probably flip out about what I said.
Flip out?? Why?? I barely understood what you posted, lol. Something about a soup I think. JK.

-----

I appreciate you guys, esp @ragnathor kicking it around with me today. Not to get too mushy but I honestly don't think I could tolerate my office days without this engagement and would seriously consider shutting it down. You guys are all sharp dudes. Have a nice weekend y'all. See ya' next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
We, meaning politicians and most Americans in general, loves to talk hot button topics but in reality wants to keep it status quo.

Parents talk about being healthy, but they come home at 5pm with a bag of Fast food burgers. $30 for a family of 4 is much easier than a $20 for a rotisserie chicken, bag of salad.

Gov Talk about having healthy options for kids but what they serve is horrendous. I would be all for increased taxes just to get ONLY nutritious food in the schools. That means no juices, sodas, processed deserts, fries, etc. Obesity and poor health is the #1 issue in our country but we all just talk around it without doing anything.

You all know that the extra $$$ spent teaching good eating habits as a child saves many times more $$$$$$$ in healthcare as adults. But you know it would piss off parents and lose the votes.

Parents don't really care when their kids don't do homework or pass classes, but boy take away those bacon, pancakes, fruit juice, cakes and there would be a riot.

I have given up on changes b/c all people do is talk and really don't want changes. Its all about getting votes and making them feel better that they appear to care.

I see no
Parents talk about being healthy, but they come home at 5pm with a bag of Fast food burgers. $30 for a family of 4 is much easier than a $20 for a rotisserie chicken, bag of salad.
That's the meal I grew up eating (the ole "roh-tiss," collard greens, rice). No sugar in my house. Me, my mom and my brother.

For all those suggesting taxes on sugar/etc, I think it's worth pointing out that the purpose of taxes is to raise funds for the functioning of government. It is NOT supposed to be used as a tool for changing behavior.

For all those suggesting taxes on sugar/etc, I think it's worth pointing out that the purpose of taxes is to raise funds for the functioning of government. It is NOT supposed to be used as a tool for changing behavior.
I agree but we do this with Tobacco.

I agree but we do this with Tobacco.
Why did the US Govt not buy the tobacco companies 20+ years ago and shut them down over 5 years. Make tobacco illegal to sell in packages greater than 5. Take the profit out of it, make it inconvenient to grow, sell, buy, use. It would cut back on 1000's of smokers. And saved us trillions in healthcare costs.

You feel that way because that's what you want to believe but I just showed you that it's not the case. More effort, fine - but definitely not significantly more effort or time. We're talking about the same effort that these people don't want to put in. That's fine if they don't but that's their issue and not mine.

I'm also going to have to bust you on the berries, sorry. Frozen blueberries are about $1 per serving. Frozen raspberries just a bit more.

Try the food bank experiment and let me know what you think. See if the cinnamon rolls or the whole wheat pasta goes first.

FWIW, I have several section 8 tenants. I also have a church with a food bank as a tenant. These are where my opinions are coming from.

Do you socialize or even know anyone who receives welfare benefits? How about even anyone without a college degree? If not, your impression of this class may be a bit skewed.
actually, my patient population is about 60% medicaid - which means they are at the federal poverty level.

i know where these patients live, and most live a mile or more from the nearest Walmart. the closest "grocery store" for most of them are mom and pop convenience stores or Dollar General. most cannot afford a car because of the insurance.

when i was at a Dollar Tree (in my suburban neighborhood) last week, there were no frozen berries. obviously no fresh vegetables. you could by a forzen empanada for $1.25, or cans of dinty more corned beef. there was frozen meat and the packages had like 3-4 ounces of meat in it. there were 12 ounce packages of spaghetti and 1 pound bags of rice for 1.25 at least. there were eggs and butter at least.

there were frozen raspberry slushies for a dollar. frozen milky way bars. all sorts of chips. cake mix. insta ramen. tons of candy. tons of other temptations that you had to walk past to get to the refrigerated section that was marginally healthier.

so one is expecting these individuals to walk at least a mile or two in urban americana to get to walmart and transport that stuff home, or just go to Dollar General to get something, most of which is junk food. ease and convenience will almost always trump healthy eating.

i question your current real world experience with urban living. the queens NY you grew up living in in 1990s was 58% white, where it is only 26% white now. Queens has the lowest poverty rate amongst the 5 boroughs of NYC.

I'm not talking specifically about race. I'm talking about the choices that any individual makes about their own personal food choices. Everyone can exercise and eat healthy if they want to. The reason they don't is because they don't want to and/or they don't want to put the effort in. In typical lib fashion, you're trying to cram race into it so you can paint me as a racist to support your argument because you know that I checkmated both you and ragnathor on the diet issue.

---

You're also injecting a group's culture into the equation. You're at least now getting closer to identifying the correct problem for certain communities and because of a variety of reasons, this is very complicated to address. Refer to my statement above about the lose/lose situation.

I've already told you that I was the minority growing up and I literally grew up in the most diverse place in the world, at least it was at that time. Google Queens NY if you want to. That means that many of my friends growing up were black and hispanic kids so I'm very familiar with both cultures. That's how I learned enough spanish to work with some of the people I currently work with. Yo se bastante.
you made this about food. you and you alone.

i have been discussing diversity and the fact that patients who come in to an office and have an appointment/ interaction with someone who shows no knowledge or interest at all in their lives, their problems, or how they live is going to adversely affect their experiences, and will turn them off to following through with any of the treatments recommended.

using the term loosely, diverse culture is the reason we should have diversity training. im sorry it took you so long to recognize what DEI is supposed to help with and what has been advocated.

Why did the US Govt not buy the tobacco companies 20+ years ago and shut them down over 5 years. Make tobacco illegal to sell in packages greater than 5. Take the profit out of it, make it inconvenient to grow, sell, buy, use. It would cut back on 1000's of smokers. And saved us trillions in healthcare costs.

there is some debate about he overall "cost" of smoking to medicare and medicaid. the actuaries will tell you that smokers die sooner, so the long term cost of care for them is lower than those who live to an older age and utilize resources for a longer period of time

there is some debate about he overall "cost" of smoking to medicare and medicaid. the actuaries will tell you that smokers die sooner, so the long term cost of care for them is lower than those who live to an older age and utilize resources for a longer period of time
Hard time believing that, based on cost of treating tobacco related illnesses. COPD, CAD, CVA, Cancer.

Hard time believing that, based on cost of treating tobacco related illnesses. COPD, CAD, CVA, Cancer.
i cant find a good reference, but i was told this by a johnson & johnson executive at some point. certainly, lost productivity/wages/taxes play into it as well.

Again lack of common sense

Again lack of common sense
from the CDC

Cigarettes and Death​

Cigarette smoking causes about one of every five deaths in the United States each year.1,6 Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following:1
  • More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
  • 278,544 deaths annually among men (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
  • 201,773 deaths annually among women (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
Cigarette smoking causes premature death:
  • Life expectancy for smokers is at least 10 years shorter than for nonsmokers.1,2
  • Quitting smoking before the age of 40 reduces the risk of dying from smoking-related disease by about 90%.2

that means 10 fewer years we have to pay for that patient's medicare. you tell me what costs more: paying for 10 years of care at the end of one's life, or paying for costs associated with smoking from 65 until 75?

so one is expecting these individuals to walk at least a mile or two in urban americana to get to walmart and transport that stuff home, or just go to Dollar General to get something, most of which is junk food. ease and convenience will almost always trump healthy eating.

Why not?

It's not like they're exercising otherwise.
People should be trying to get in 6000 steps a day anyways. That's about 3 miles. I doubt they're getting that in their normal day.

Regardless, we can keep making excuses about every obstacle in the world keeping them from eating reasonably.

No transportation. No money. Bad weather. Etc.

Bottom line, a lot of these patients don't care about eating well and lack self control. Theoretically they could lose weight eating the stuff from Dollar General.

Weight loss is a math equation. Burn more calories than you consume. Doesn't matter if the calories come from Wendy's or Whole Foods.

I think you can find more excuses for not eating healthy…..try harder.

Btw don’t forget to thank a straight person for your existence this month….most likely your parents.

Last edited:
from the CDC

Cigarettes and Death​

Cigarette smoking causes about one of every five deaths in the United States each year.1,6 Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following:1
  • More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
  • 278,544 deaths annually among men (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
  • 201,773 deaths annually among women (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
Cigarette smoking causes premature death:
  • Life expectancy for smokers is at least 10 years shorter than for nonsmokers.1,2
  • Quitting smoking before the age of 40 reduces the risk of dying from smoking-related disease by about 90%.2

that means 10 fewer years we have to pay for that patient's medicare. you tell me what costs more: paying for 10 years of care at the end of one's life, or paying for costs associated with smoking from 65 until 75?
Let’s assume a lung cancer patient dies a long, torturous death with or without prolonged chemo and radiation…. versus a natural causes or even cardiac patient who dies quickly with minimally invasive cardiac Cath procedure, and/or generic medication. And if the lung cancer patient dies younger, they have not put in the same money into Medicare as the patient who died of natural causes. Common sense.

Last edited:
Let’s assume a lung cancer patient dies a long, torturous death with or without prolonged chemo and radiation…. versus a natural causes or even cardiac patient who dies quickly with minimally invasive cardiac Cath procedure, and/or generic medication. Common sense.
true.

but most people dont just up and die one day. many utilize a crap-ton of resources. live years in nursing homes. spend lots of time in the ICU and hospice

Did someone say death panels and rationing?

I think you can find more excuses for not eating healthy…..try harder.

Btw don’t forget to thank a straight person for your existence this month….most likely your parents.
why?

i personally know quite a few well adjusted and fully functional individuals who are a huge benefit to society that grew up in same sex families.
Let’s assume a lung cancer patient dies a long, torturous death with or without prolonged chemo and radiation…. versus a natural causes or even cardiac patient who dies quickly with minimally invasive cardiac Cath procedure, and/or generic medication. And if the lung cancer patient dies younger, they have not put in the same money into Medicare as the patient who died of natural causes. Common sense.

the problem is that smokers are getting sick and dying before their time, not putting in as much money in to the system and draining the system much more than someone older.

i would suggest that the debate were focused specifically on medicare and medicad, but if you expanded the discussion to all over costs to society, the answer would be much more in favor of reducing smoking.
Did someone say death panels and rationing?
maybe, and as usual, republicans falsely accusing democrats of these...

You are also assuming the younger smoker is not currently under an Obama care plan or a commercial plan versus Medicare. If they’re dying younger, they’re probably not on Medicare…..which would counter my own argument if we are just talking about costs to Medicare.

all hospitals, and it seems most states licensures, have some form of this BS to maintain privileges. you can probably just forward your previous completed training
I have to take a sex ed class to renew my medical license.

I have to take a sex ed class to renew my medical license.
Like, birds and bees? This penis goes into this vagina, an ejaculation occurs and a baby comes out 9 months later?

We were poorer than most American's currently who are poor. My parents had 1 car, barely working, fit 4 adults but we would carry 7+ people regularly, likely illegal today.

My parents never had issues with getting grocery. Walk 2 miles? This would be considered short back then. 30 min walk each day would never be considered a big hurdle. We had those cart on wheels back in the day and took it all the time and and most had one. The sidewalks had people with these personal grocery carts and was a household standard equipment.

Just saying that it is a hardship for someone to walk 2 miles to get grocery just shows me how soft we are/expect Americans to be. This mentality is a good thing b/c my kids will have no problems competing if this is what is considered difficult.

I regularly walked 2 miles to school and 2 miles back regardless of weather. When we got the occasional ride, it was a blessing but never expected. Now I see kids being dropped off by the bus every block. Literally the bus would stop, let one kid out then stop at the next block to let another kid out. Just crazy that kids have to be dropped off essentially in front of their homes and can't walk 2-4 blocks to get home.

The softening of America is real and good that my kids will easily outcompete this mentality.

Reactions: 5 users
My father was a single dad and we rented. I didn’t have my own room until 10th grade. Food stamps were a treat but we couldn’t wait to get off them.

Like, birds and bees? This penis goes into this vagina, an ejaculation occurs and a baby comes out 9 months later?
More like the penis does not exist in any form or fashion at the workplace and any thoughts or references to it must be eternally suppressed.

• Wow
Let me know when insurance companies start paying for biologically male individuals seeking 20 week ultrasounds.

My father was a single dad and we rented. I didn’t have my own room until 10th grade. Food stamps were a treat but we couldn’t wait to get off them.
Growing up I remember food stamps and free school lunches with disdain. Going to the grocery, people were paying with Green cash but we pulled out these food stamp books tearing them off one by one. Going to school lunches was like solving where's waldo, going down the list to find my name in a sea of names. Embarrassed that I held up the line when my name was missing or was in the wrong spot, or someone crossed me off accidentally.

I was always embarrassed by this and helped drive me to never do it when I grew up. But now, we continue to remove these drivers to get out of poverty. Now we have "food stamp" credit cards and I bet schools now have preloaded cards where everyone looks the same.

Those who had disdain for food stamps have an exceedingly higher chance of being successful. Sure I have no proof, but painful drivers help to push you the extra mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Growing up I remember food stamps and free school lunches with disdain. Going to the grocery, people were paying with Green cash but we pulled out these food stamp books tearing them off one by one. Going to school lunches was like solving where's waldo, going down the list to find my name in a sea of names.

I was always embarrassed by this and helped drive me to never do it when I grew up. But now, we have continue to remove these drivers to get out of poverty. Now we have "food stamp" credit cards and I bet schools now have preloaded cards where everyone looks the same.

Those who had disdain for food stamps have an exceedingly higher chance of being successful. Sure I have no proof, but painful drivers help to push you the extra mile.

There was a phase where my mom was paying for groceries with food stamps. Yeah, it left an impression. I vowed not to ever be in that position as an adult and only ever considered high paying careers.

Growing up I remember food stamps and free school lunches with disdain. Going to the grocery, people were paying with Green cash but we pulled out these food stamp books tearing them off one by one. Going to school lunches was like solving where's waldo, going down the list to find my name in a sea of names. Embarrassed that I held up the line when my name was missing or was in the wrong spot, or someone crossed me off accidentally.

I was always embarrassed by this and helped drive me to never do it when I grew up. But now, we continue to remove these drivers to get out of poverty. Now we have "food stamp" credit cards and I bet schools now have preloaded cards where everyone looks the same.

No self motivation can occur if the ‘shame’ factor is taken out of the equation.

Black neighborhoods have higher access to fast food, independent of poverty levels. Why might that be? They were methodically and specifically targeted to make it that way.

The federal government under Nixon/Johnson subsidized fast food restaurants to incentivize them to open up franchises in black neighborhoods. While it did lift the (often black) franchise owners into the bourgeoisie, it has had lasting effects on those areas. Cheap, accessible, and addictive food became the go-to and drove healthier and locally-owned options out.

For those suggesting that the problem lies with black people themselves, consider that there is a higher percentage of black people embracing plant-based diets than in any other ethnic group (more than double).

Also consider that the obesity rates between black and white men are essentially the same, but healthcare outcomes between the two groups are drastically different (cancer mortality, mental health treatment, life expectancy, etc.). When you consider that black infant mortality is more than double that of white counterparts, surely that can't be explained away by "personal responsibility." There's far more at play.

I don't have a great answer for the solution, but it can't be simply "watch what you eat."

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Black neighborhoods have higher access to fast food, independent of poverty levels. Why might that be? They were methodically and specifically targeted to make it that way.

The federal government under Nixon/Johnson subsidized fast food restaurants to incentivize them to open up franchises in black neighborhoods. While it did lift the (often black) franchise owners into the bourgeoisie, it has had lasting effects on those areas. Cheap, accessible, and addictive food became the go-to and drove healthier and locally-owned options out.

For those suggesting that the problem lies with black people themselves, consider that there is a higher percentage of black people embrace plant-based diets than in any other ethnic group (more than double).

Also consider that the obesity rates between black and white men are essentially the same, but healthcare outcomes between the two groups are drastically different (cancer mortality, mental health treatment, life expectancy, etc.). When you consider that black infant mortality is more than double that of white counterparts, surely that can't be explained away by "personal responsibility." There's far more at play.

I don't have a great answer for the solution, but it can't be simply "watch what you eat."
The other main issue is healthy, good quality food is simply more expensive and is likely unaffordable for most people. Furthermore, it has to be prepared, which takes up time and makes it inconvenient to consume.