I don't know anymore...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hopelessdreamer95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, in a nutshell, I'm a **** student with a ****ter sGPA. I'm approaching my final semester as an undergrad and I'm tired. I'm a mediocre student who's lucky enough can get anything above a C at this point. I don't know why I keep bothering when science is not my cup of tea. Everyone around me keeps pushing me to "try my hardest" to "to stay positive", when in reality, I'm a complete ******* when it comes to understanding and memorizing biological and chemical processes and pathways I'm expected to learn. I'm just tired of feeling like a failure everytime I get my test grade back, even when I try my best. Maybe I'm not cut out to become a doctor if I'm finding science this difficult to grasp, regardless of my majors. I just want to feel accomplished and know I know I'm heading in the right direction, but I haven't felt that way for a long time now. Should I just give up on medical school? Be honest... I need to start being realistic with my intellectual limitations.

Members don't see this ad.

So, in a nutshell, I'm a **** student with a ****ter sGPA. I'm approaching my final semester as an undergrad and I'm tired. I'm a mediocre student who's lucky enough can get anything above a C at this point. I don't know why I keep bothering when science is not my cup of tea. Everyone around me keeps pushing me to "try my hardest" to "to stay positive", when in reality, I'm a complete ******* when it comes to understanding and memorizing biological and chemical processes and pathways I'm expected to learn. I'm just tired of feeling like a failure everytime I get my test grade back, even when I try my best. Maybe I'm not cut out to become a doctor if I'm finding science this difficult to grasp, regardless of my majors. I just want to feel accomplished and know I know I'm heading in the right direction, but I haven't felt that way for a long time now. Should I just give up on medical school? Be honest... I need to start being realistic with my intellectual limitations.
Overall cGPA/sGPA?

Reactions: 1 user
Overall cGPA/sGPA?
I just finished my summer term, so my cGPA could change (and by change, I mean either go down or stay the same because I'm stupid).
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA(low af): 2.77, according to my university's Degreeworks

.... I know, I'm not getting in anywhere with these stats

Members don't see this ad :)
So, in a nutshell, I'm a **** student with a ****tier sGPA. I'm approaching my final semester as an undergrad and I'm tired. I'm a mediocre student who's lucky enough can get anything above a C at this point. I don't know why I keep bothering when science is not my cup of tea. Everyone around me keeps pushing me to "try my hardest" to "to stay positive", when in reality, I'm a complete ******* when it comes to understanding and memorizing biological and chemical processes and pathways I'm expected to learn. I'm just tired of feeling like a failure every time I get my test grade back, even when I try my best. Maybe I'm not cut out to become a doctor if I'm finding science this difficult to grasp, regardless of my majors. I just want to feel accomplished and know I know I'm heading in the right direction, but I haven't felt that way for a long time now. Should I just give up on medical school? Be honest... I need to start being realistic with my intellectual limitations.
So this is going to be a very subjective post written from someone with the understanding that everyone is different.

Firstly, you need to hear this quote, "medicine is only for those who cannot imagine doing anything else". This quote embodies the whole idea. You're going to be taking over 24 credits per semester sometimes of extremely high-level classes. While I personally believe there are no "intellectual limitations" you do need to understand the path that you are shooting for.
Secondly, if you have a "crappy" GPA this should only be a minor speed bump if you're serious about a lifetime career of helping others. Whether it be post-bacc options, graduate school, or spending an extra year retaking classes.... if you're going to commit to medicine it cannot be half-hearted and you should have the drive to do anything it takes to make it through. This drive can not be absent when the demands of students are so high in medical school.

For a course of action on your part... Rethink what it is you really want out of medicine. If you decide it's exactly what you want... Meet with an advisor at your school, and more importantly, an advisor at a medical school and see what you can do to get in and where you stand currently. I have friends that got into medical schools with GPA's people on this website would laugh at, but it was solely because of their drive and working with a medical school to figure out the best possible option for their acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
So this is going to be a very subjective post written from someone with the understanding that everyone is different.

Firstly, you need to hear this quote, "medicine is only for those who cannot imagine doing anything else". This quote embodies the whole idea. You're going to be taking over 24 credits per semester sometimes of extremely high-level classes. While I personally believe there are no "intellectual limitations" you do need to understand the path that you are shooting for.
Secondly, if you have a "crappy" GPA this should only be a minor speed bump if you're serious about a lifetime career of helping others. Whether it be post-bacc options, graduate school, or spending an extra year retaking classes.... if you're going to commit to medicine it cannot be half-hearted and you should have the drive to do anything it takes to make it through. This drive can not be absent when the demands of students are so high in medical school.

For a course of action on your part... Rethink what it is you really want out of medicine. If you decide it's exactly what you want... Meet with an advisor at your school, and more importantly, an advisor at a medical school and see what you can do to get in and where you stand currently. I have friends that got into medical schools with GPA's people on this website would laugh at, but it was solely because of their drive and working with a medical school to figure out the best possible option for their acceptance.

OP has said in other threads they are pursuing medicine to fulfill family expectations.

OP has said in other threads they are pursuing medicine to fulfill family expectations.
Yeah..... So I am absolutely not in any place to tell you what to do, but I can make a strongly supported argument that if family expectations are your drive, things may not go your way as often as you think... Certainly in an interview if they ask why you want to be a physician. That being said, again reassess where you're at and why medicine and talk to a medical school.

I just finished my summer term, so my cGPA could change (and by change, I mean either go down or stay the same because I'm stupid).
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA(low af): 2.77, according to my university's Degreeworks

.... I know, I'm not getting in anywhere with these stats
For several reasons, medicine is not for you.

OP, you need to search within yourself and find out why you want to become a physician. If it is simply to meet demands that you feel you have to live up to, then screw it and do what you want. If you really do aspire to become a physician and feel that the science is too hard, take a step back and breathe. Science is a complex subject and takes its toll on the best of us. There are some aspects of science that I really enjoy and do decent in (biology, organic chemistry, physiology), and others that I enjoy, but struggle with at times (General Chemistry, Physics). Naturally, it is easier for me to learn the subjects I enjoy more and find interesting. However, I realize that the subjects that I find more complex is simply because I overcomplicate things at times. It is beneficial to step back and maybe surf youtube for some basic, elementary explanations of the subjects. For instance, entropy and free energy changes was something that I struggled with. I found it interesting but had a hard time relating to it for some reason. I stumbled across some youtube videos that gave a simple, but groundbreaking (for me at least) explanation of the topic. Try to understand the big picture of a concept first. Once you have that accomplished, then the details can be learned. For example, understand the bigger picture of carbon reduction, then worry about the enzymes, steps and mechanisms. Associate certain pathways with people, make up acronyms, or whatever works best for you. Everyone learns differently and at different paces. If you feel medicine is where you want to honestly be, then take a step back and revisit the fundamentals of the major science sections. You may have already tried all of this and sorry if you have. Hope this helps some.

Wait you are being very hard on yourself. Can you do it? Of course you can! I don't even know you but I believe in you!
The problem isn't "can you do it", the problem is do you want to do it? That is the BIGGEST question you can ask yourself. Medicine takes so much time, I mean it takes hundreds- thousands of hours just to get a chance to get an interview. That's just the tip of the iceberg, then you are going to put thousands of more hours studying then rounds then residency then you will be working insane hours as a physician. This isn't a job once you are done, you relax doing 35 hours a week.

You need a motivator and if your motivator is family expectations. It isn't probably going to work out because half way you are going to say "I don't want this" and the grades are showing it. It isn't an intelligence problem, I believe it is a commitment problem. It's a ton of work, and if you are doing it for someone else, you are probably going to burn out and say "I don't want this" and give up.

Ask yourself, do you want this? Do you want to help? Make a difference in peoples lives? Stay up hours to help others? Or is it just for your family? That is a vital question you need to honestly answer.

Wait you are being very hard on yourself. Can you do it? Of course you can! I don't even know you but I believe in you!
The problem isn't "can you do it", the problem is do you want to do it? That is the BIGGEST question you can ask yourself. Medicine takes so much time, I mean it takes hundreds- thousands of hours just to get a chance to get an interview. That's just the tip of the iceberg, then you are going to put thousands of more hours studying then rounds then residency then you will be working insane hours as a physician. This isn't a job once you are done, you relax doing 35 hours a week.

You need a motivator and if your motivator is family expectations. It isn't probably going to work out because half way you are going to say "I don't want this" and the grades are showing it. It isn't an intelligence problem, I believe it is a commitment problem. It's a ton of work, and if you are doing it for someone else, you are probably going to burn out and say "I don't want this" and give up.

Ask yourself, do you want this? Do you want to help? Make a difference in peoples lives? Stay up hours to help others? Or is it just for your family? That is a vital question you need to honestly answer.
Beautifully put

Honestly bro, plain and simple, put your head down and grind. If you're really about the doctor life, NOTHING should stand in your way to get to where you wanna be. And if it's not your thing, that's fine too. Do what's going to make you happy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

His motivation for pursuing medicine is not enough, his internal drive to surmount his coursework is insufficient, his record is lacking, and his performance is highly insufficient. He has all of the signs of a student that doesn't want this for the right reasons, and thus can't push themselves to succeed. Honestly his failure has likely saved his life, because medicine isn't something you should enter when your heart isn't in it.

Believe me, I can truly appreciate the "Anyone can do it if they try hard enough!" Mentality. I'm sure there are a number of fully qualified physicians who would not be practicing had someone not told them this. However; they are the exception. Not the rule.
Medicine is hard. Science is hard. Not everyone is intellectually capable of becoming a physician (as cruel as that may sound.)

As others have advised;
> the OP is in this fight for the wrong reasons
> the OP has little personal commitment to medicine
>the OP cannot handle hard science courses
>the OP is sliding into depression.

This is not a recipie for a healthy, happy MD student. OP should seriously reconsider their reasoning, motives and desires. For the sake of their own health and happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.