I don't know what to do during my gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A very big part of me wants to defer all my loans, get a full-time job, pay to live in a slum, save up money, and travel a bit after all my (hopeful) interviews are over. Maybe finish that novel I've been writing during my evenings off.

Another part of me wants to go back to school and earn another degree that year, in a topic I find interesting, without the pesky interruptions of pre-med labs, and required general education requirements. Live off the loan money or something. Although that's a terrible idea, as I should be minimizing debt . . .

All I know is I won't be living with any relatives because they drive me crazy. I just don't know what to do.What if I can't get a job? Am I supposed to lie and not pretend I'm only going to be there for a year and will have to take time off for interviews?

I could have applied back in June but I've been burnt out, and thought a gap year would be good for me. It is too late in the application cycle to turn back now so I'm stuck with this gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about that too. I'll probably be moving back home to save some money, which will feel a little like a step backwards, but I'm guessing that's how most college grads feel.

I thought about getting a job full time, but to be honest, it feels like it might be a waste of precious time. The amount of money I'd be making feels like so little compared to how much I would eventually be making. Doing something like traveling or just enjoying my time seems like it might be a better investment than working for the year. It's really hard to decide what's the best thing to do. I don't want to be buried in debt, but I don't want to waste what is essentially my last care-free year.

Work full-time (or part-time) to get some savings while maintaining your extracurricular activities. I would not suggest taking any course unless it's necessary to boost your GPAs. Try to get away from school for a year before med school two years from now.

EDIT: I did not have a gap year but did take 8 months working full time as a co-op student during my third year undergrad for a total of 5 year undergraduate program. Although I was working in a research position that paid minimum wage per hour, it was a refreshing 8-month break away from all the exams/studying. I am certain you will feel the same way if you've been in school for the past few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is a 3.75, but my science GPA is like a 3.4. I might want to be a psychiatrist and I sort of wish I would have went to a school with a criminology major. But I doubt it is worth the debt just to make myself a more competent psychiatrist if I would ever go into a forensic fellowship.

I just want a job that pays $12-15 (or more) dollars an hour for 40 hours a week, and let's me take the occasional Friday off when I have a Saturday interview and need to travel. I feel like this might be asking for too much though. And I don't want to live with my parents. And I don't think I should study something cushy for a year likes philosophy, psychology or criminology as it incurs more debt.

I'm just sort of lost. Living in the woods in a cardboard box, reading paperbacks, and hunting squirrels also doesn't sound appealing either.

Last edited:
My GPA is a 3.75, but my science GPA is like a 3.4. I want to be a psychiatrist and I sort of wish I would have went to a school with a criminology major. But I doubt it is worth the debt just to make myself a more competent forensic psychiatrist, especially since I might not even end up a psychiatrist.

I just want a job that pays $12-15 dollars an hour for 40 hours a week, and let's me take the occasional Friday off when I have a Saturday interview and need to travel. I feel like this might be asking for too much though. And I don't want to live with my parents. And I don't think I should study something cushy for a year as it incurs more debt.

I'm just sort of lost.
Your GPAs are fine for DO schools. Criminology major will not give you an edge for psych residency (which is on par with FM for competitiveness) in any way, and forensic psychiatry is a subspecialty/fellowship which you apply to after your psych residency.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find a job that fits your description. Do some job search in your area and start earning some cash for the ridiculous application fees and the summer vacation before med school starts next year.

Don't defer your loans start paying them off right away.

After living expenses, I might make $8000 extra all year. Given how huge my debt is going to be, I would rather defer, and see the world a bit during my gap year. I'll have plenty of years during my residency and onward (with a higher salary) to pay off my debt, and not go on vacations. This is my last shot to leave the country before my mid-thirties.

And I could die in a car crash or any number of accidents before then. Another part of my gap year is living life a little before the grind of becoming a doctor sets in. I need to see the world a bit.

I've been thinking about that too. I'll probably be moving back home to save some money, which will feel a little like a step backwards, but I'm guessing that's how most college grads feel.

I thought about getting a job full time, but to be honest, it feels like it might be a waste of precious time. The amount of money I'd be making feels like so little compared to how much I would eventually be making. Doing something like traveling or just enjoying my time seems like it might be a better investment than working for the year. It's really hard to decide what's the best thing to do. I don't want to be buried in debt, but I don't want to waste what is essentially my last care-free year.

Do something enjoyable. Travel, pick up a hobby, etc etc. Dont work full time unless you need to. I made the stupid mistake of working a million hours a week this past year (my gap year) because I wanted to save up money. On hindsight I would have tried to spend more time doing other things. It's awesome you have this perspective. Follow it!

My GPA is a 3.75, but my science GPA is like a 3.4. I might want to be a psychiatrist and I sort of wish I would have went to a school with a criminology major. But I doubt it is worth the debt just to make myself a more competent psychiatrist if I would ever go into a forensic fellowship.

I just want a job that pays $12-15 dollars an hour for 40 hours a week, and let's me take the occasional Friday off when I have a Saturday interview and need to travel. I feel like this might be asking for too much though. And I don't want to live with my parents. And I don't think I should study something cushy for a year likes philosophy, psychology or criminology as it incurs more debt.

I'm just sort of lost. Living in the woods in a cardboard box, reading paperbacks, and hunting squirrels also doesn't sound appealing.

Psychiatry is also my main field of interest right now. I don't think doing any coursework at this point would really make any difference in your ability as a psychiatrist, but who knows.

I agree that I think it would be hard to find a decent job that pays around 12-15$ where one could take off days for interviews, and plan on quitting in less than a year. I think I would have trouble finding one that would fit the bill, but it's certainly possible.

I disagree about living in the woods though; that's something I might like to do. But hopefully, I will spend some time in a different country (perhaps living in the woods). I think my future and current self would thank me if I enjoyed my gap year doing unique things rather than working.

It is impossible for me to not work and be happy. If I don't work, or only work part-time, I'll have to move in with my parents. And it is like living with dementors. I feel like I develop depression every time I visit for the holidays or stay over the summers. They drain all the happiness out of the world.

And the commute time to and from their house in East-Jesus-Nowhere to a job would require a car and car insurance. Which requires more money than I have.I was hoping to get a job and then rent a place next to it.

I'm in-between a rock and a hard place, I need to work full-time.