I feel like a slave driver

Wacaggie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife applied to a competitive specialty and told me to pick the days for the interviews when invitations come in. In order to juggle all of the interviews I have created the interview trail from Hell. I have to admit it is her fault for getting so many interview offers though. One part of the trail she will go to 4 interviews back to back to back to back in 3 different cities, none being our home town. She will get 2 days to rest while in one of the cities that we have family and then I have her fly off halfway across the country to an interview only to fly back over night for an interview the next day for which I will pick her up at the airport at 5:25 am and drive her a few hours to that one. Hopefully if more interviews come in I can give her a more decent schedule.

Has anyone else had to do this for their spouse?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. My wife took care of her own business. Now who are you saying is the slave driver?

You should get a medal for dealing with all that crap! :thumbup:

It starts to get complicated and if you're going for something competitive, then you apply broadly and go to every interview you can. This starts to get complicated when the programs start having interviews at the same time. Then there's the pre-interview dinner, flight times, hotels, travel, etc etc to deal with.

No offense, but why isn't she doing this herself? Plenty of med students go through this every year by themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to help my wife take a load off of her mind by helping her set up her interview trail. Up until this month she had MS4 rotations to deal with and I work at a desk with a computer all day long. I have helped her catch and schedule 3 interviews while she was in other interviews or traveling. For all of the other interview invitations she has been integrally involved in picking the day. I decided to help because in order to maximize her chances of matching she will need to have as many interviews as possible and since I have less on my mind I can schedule everything logically. I should ask why not help my wife? If and where she matches will affect my life just as much as her and if scheduling everything keeps my wife more focused on the actual interview and not the logistics of getting there she will be less stressed and wont burn out as quickly on the trail. I believe if you are married then you should work as a team whenever the opportunities arrive. I don't mind helping my wife make her life easier when she has worked so hard to get where she is now.

I should ask why not help my wife? If and where she matches will affect my life just as much as her and if scheduling everything keeps my wife more focused on the actual interview and not the logistics of getting there she will be less stressed and wont burn out as quickly on the trail. I believe if you are married then you should work as a team whenever the opportunities arrive. I don't mind helping my wife make her life easier when she has worked so hard to get where she is now.
:love: Wow, are you available to give instructional talks to other men? I'm also applying for a competitive specialty, and my bf has pretty much no interest in even hearing about my interviews and has NEVER even mentioned my application...he pretends nothing is happening. When I bring it up, he closes his eyes and pretends to be asleep.

O no! :smuggrin:
That's horrible. Me and my bf are going through something similar. He wants to go to PA school in New Haven, and I've had to deal with that. And now that I'm talking about going to Vet school (wherever I would get in), he is totally avoiding it. Either way we will be separated. I think if your loved ones love you, they will support you in whatever you are doing. Like the author of this Thread :love: