feeling kinda discouraged

abbeyroad35

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm a first year med student. I understand the work load is only going to get worse and busier from here, but I'm a little discouraged by the fact that I'm not in a relationship with anyone and I literally don't have the time or energy to start anything up at this time. I know people always say "there's time to do anything in med school", but I'm literally studying almost all the time and barely getting above what I need to pass, I'm also on thin ice at my school because I had to remediate year 1 last year so its honestly just a struggle for me to stay afloat in medical school right now. This is bothering me more so because people in my life are giving me a hard time about single, but I honestly don't know when would be a realistic time in the future that I will have time to meet someone. Just wanted to get some of your all's input on this

Members don't see this ad.

You think med school is hard. Add the pressures of a relationship. Especially trying to start one.

For now, you need to stay focused on med school and find other ways to relieve your sexual frustrations. When things slow down, then consider taking that on.

You think med school is hard. Add the pressures of a relationship. Especially trying to start one.

For now, you need to stay focused on med school and find other ways to relieve your sexual frustrations. When things slow down, then consider taking that on.

When would you say that things will start slowing down?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to say. Since you have some academic struggles, it might not slow down until 4th yr.

I felt overwhelmed a little the first semester but got used the amount of crap after that. If you do not get used to it, then the first 2 yrs will be a struggle. I would work on better study habits etc. Until you get more comfortable.

Hey guys, so I'm a first year med student. I understand the work load is only going to get worse and busier from here, but I'm a little discouraged by the fact that I'm not in a relationship with anyone and I literally don't have the time or energy to start anything up at this time. I know people always say "there's time to do anything in med school", but I'm literally studying almost all the time and barely getting above what I need to pass, I'm also on thin ice at my school because I had to remediate year 1 last year so its honestly just a struggle for me to stay afloat in medical school right now. This is bothering me more so because people in my life are giving me a hard time about single, but I honestly don't know when would be a realistic time in the future that I will have time to meet someone. Just wanted to get some of your all's input on this

Having a relationship is not all roses and wine, I know I was married for a while before medical school and was dating the woman I was married to for several years before we married. Its not all ups, there are plenty of downsides. Depending upon who you are having a significant other is not always a source of joy and happiness, it can also be a source of stress and discord in your life as well. It all depends on who you meet, and in school when you do not have an income it will be hard on the other person.

The bright side is that the closer you become to becoming a DO or MD, the more confident that you will be, and the more attractive you will be. It will take less effort to do the legwork later versus now. Fourth year usually has more availability, and by that time, you will likely not flunk out. Residency is a bear, but it also can lighten up as you go along. Not to mention that perhaps you have more problems with the academics part of the equation than rotations. I felt like I was much more of a natural on rotations than 1st-2nd year.

The bright side is that the closer you become to becoming a DO or MD, the more confident that you will be, and the more attractive you will be. It will take less effort to do the legwork later versus now. Fourth year usually has more availability, and by that time, you will likely not flunk out. Residency is a bear, but it also can lighten up as you go along. Not to mention that perhaps you have more problems with the academics part of the equation than rotations. I felt like I was much more of a natural on rotations than 1st-2nd year.
Confidence doesn't make you more attractive. Lack of confidence makes you less attractive. And confidence is something you gain or lose based on your feedback. If you confidently approach and get shut down you lose confidence. If you approach and succeed you gain confidence.

Just keep working on yourself and it will make it easier when the right person does come along. It would be worse to get stressed and just find someone and end up just settling with someone that isn't the the best for you.

www.studentswife.com

You need to focus on school. You're already remediating a year, which isn't great. This won't get better if you're constantly looking or pondering relationships. That won't help you right now. For the immediate future: your focus should be your grades and school. Get out of that hole you're dug in before adding more responsibilities. Because relationships require effort and work. It's not all glamorous. And won't fix your academic dilemma.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk