I feel like I'm home :-)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegternarian

lord of the waiting room
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a year I've finally gotten back into the veterinary field as a receptionist. Sure, I'd rather be an assistant working with the animals but I'm glad to just be at the hospital, working in the field I love. For you seasoned veterans out there (vet students), how appropriate is reception as "veterinary experience" when applying? I have two to three years before I apply so I figure there's plenty of time to migrate to assistant. Your comments are appreciated.

P.S.- the rest of my vet experience has been "patient care assistant" which is a cage cleaner/ vet assistant hybrid.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it counts. Part of my all my jobs has been reception. You have to answer questions pertaining to vet med accurately and intelligently when you answer the phone and check people in. That counts for something. Also use the time to learn about the business side of it and be prepared to talk about that at your interviews. :luck:

I would say it counts... You have to answer questions pertaining to vet med accurately and intelligently when you answer the phone and check people in.

receptionists are SO important!!! i hate when i go to a clinic and they have a dud behind the counter (example- one who couldn't pronounce and didn't know what cephalexin was). YOU are the face of the hospital (whether you like it or not ;)). def. counts!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i fully agree with both pressmom's and sofficat's responses. there is nothing worse than an ignorant receptionist, it makes the client feel as though the doctors and staff handling their animal may be just as incapable. also, you were right about it being a good stepping stone to becoming a vet assistant. if the doctors build a bond and trusting relationship, it is more likely they will hire you for a position rather that someone externally. Good luck!

Thanks for your responses and the advice. :D

I agree with the above posters.. This definitely counts! Make sure to learn all you can while you are working there; pay attention to the medical records, the drugs, the procedures, everything.. You'll really appreciate being familiar with these things once vet school starts in a couple years. Good luck and have fun!