I feel like I'm missing something...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akuko2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I emailed a few AF specialty advisers about average STEP 1 scores, number of publications, etc of their matched residency applicants and got a surprising reply from the liaison for orthopedic surgery. I was told that the program director at SAMMC said their avg STEP 1 score was 235, and that most of them did not have publications. Charting outcomes shows an average of 245 for STEP 1 and average of 3 publications for civilians who matched into ortho. Is there something I am missing or is the military match really that different?

Members don't see this ad.

The mean Step 1 for 2016 Army Ortho was 256 though the numbers are not broken down by residency location. Is the SAMMC location what Army lists as SAUSHEC with 4 Army and 3 AF slots? (Brook, Ft Sam, Wilford Hall, Lackland, and UTSA)

With so few residency slots, the avg numbers can vary drastically year to year.

The mean Step 1 for 2016 Army Ortho was 256 though the numbers are not broken down by residency location. Is the SAMMC location what Army lists as SAUSHEC with 4 Army and 3 AF slots? (Brook, Ft Sam, Wilford Hall, Lackland, and UTSA)

With so few residency slots, the avg numbers can vary drastically year to year.

I believe SAUSHEC and SAMMC are referring to the same location, and I understand they vary but 235 seems pretty low for ortho.