I got a pharmacy tech job :)

Started by inquirer89
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

inquirer89

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was offered a position at the hospital pharmacy (where I have volunteered at for almost 3 years) today. I have been applying to literally all of the retail pharmacies in my area for the past 3 months, and it has been very tough trying to find an opening at a pharmacy. I was actually about to accept a job as a regular retail cashier at CVS when the pharmacy manager I knew from volunteering contacted me to see if I was interested for an interview! So yeah I'm just excited that I'll be working with more pay and less stress at a place I already love!

This will be my first tech job and I am not licensed. From what my manager said, I only have to be state registered to become a tech. However, I still want to take the test and get the license but I would rather study the PCAT this summer. Will most of the stuff on the test be things I will pick up through experience? Should I wait to take the exam?
 
i recently took the PTCB exam and found it fairly easy. I just bought a PTCB study aid from the local book store and studied it on and off for a time interval of about 2 month and passed the test easily. By working in a pharmacy, i say you will learn about 70% of the test material via hands on experience.
 
If you plan to apply for Fall 2009 admission, then a summer PCAT date is ideal. The October PCAT date may put you further back in the review "line" even though many people take that exam and can get accepted. I think your PCAT scores mean more on your application than a couple extra months of certified pharm tech experience.
 
If you plan to apply for Fall 2009 admission, then a summer PCAT date is ideal. The October PCAT date may put you further back in the review "line" even though many people take that exam and can get accepted. I think your PCAT scores mean more on your application than a couple extra months of certified pharm tech experience.


Yeah my first PCAT will be in August, and I'll take the October if necessary.