I got a pharmacy tech job :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered a position at the hospital pharmacy (where I have volunteered at for almost 3 years) today. I have been applying to literally all of the retail pharmacies in my area for the past 3 months, and it has been very tough trying to find an opening at a pharmacy. I was actually about to accept a job as a regular retail cashier at CVS when the pharmacy manager I knew from volunteering contacted me to see if I was interested for an interview! So yeah I'm just excited that I'll be working with more pay and less stress at a place I already love!

This will be my first tech job and I am not licensed. From what my manager said, I only have to be state registered to become a tech. However, I still want to take the test and get the license but I would rather study the PCAT this summer. Will most of the stuff on the test be things I will pick up through experience? Should I wait to take the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

i recently took the PTCB exam and found it fairly easy. I just bought a PTCB study aid from the local book store and studied it on and off for a time interval of about 2 month and passed the test easily. By working in a pharmacy, i say you will learn about 70% of the test material via hands on experience.

If you plan to apply for Fall 2009 admission, then a summer PCAT date is ideal. The October PCAT date may put you further back in the review "line" even though many people take that exam and can get accepted. I think your PCAT scores mean more on your application than a couple extra months of certified pharm tech experience.

If you plan to apply for Fall 2009 admission, then a summer PCAT date is ideal. The October PCAT date may put you further back in the review "line" even though many people take that exam and can get accepted. I think your PCAT scores mean more on your application than a couple extra months of certified pharm tech experience.

Yeah my first PCAT will be in August, and I'll take the October if necessary.