I got accepted to a med school I like, but I might fail a class :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curlyfriez12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have too much on my plate this semester, because I wanted to get done one semester early (i mean graduate in the fall). I applied this cycle and got into UT Southwestern.

But this semester, I am taking a class where the professor is a dochebag and makes the class unnecessarily hard. He's failing half the class. I need the class to graduate so I did not drop it. I'm going to try my hardest to come out with a C, or a B (if things go well). But there is a pretty good chance I may fail this class.

Will UT Southwestern revoke my acceptance if they see that I failed a class after I got accepted?

I can take the class again in the winter and pass it to graduate, but i'm concerned what medical schools might think :(

Please weigh in on my situation.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got accepted to a med school I like, but I might fail a class :(
You did not get accepted to a med school; you got accepted to an undergraduate university.
Douchebag

If you need the class to graduate, then get a C. I doubt if UT SW would revoke your acceptance if you got an F the first time, then retook it in the winter and passed. If half the people in the class are failing, then work hard enough to be in the half that is passing.

You did not get accepted to a med school; you got accepted to an undergraduate university.

Um, it looks like he did get accepted to med school. Look at his past posts. He just posted in the wrong forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go talk to the prof. While I don't support a** kissing, sometimes it's necessary. Talk to the guy, say I'm having trouble meeting the standards set in the class, how do you suggest I do better? Every professor, assuming this is not his first time teaching the class, has had students struggle in some fashion. Ask for advice, do what you need to to pass.

Schools can withdrawl an acceptance if a student has a sharp decline ie fails, in class performance. Will they, don't know. But don't risk it. Talk to they guy, say I'm trying, but it's not happening, what should I do differently?

Um, it looks like he did get accepted to med school. Look at his past posts. He just posted in the wrong forum.

Its true... I did post in the wrong forum... Sorry about that.

I did talk to the professor, and he was real mean about me missing classes because of my interviews. He didnt care.

And when I asked him what i need to do to make a better grade, he gave me useless advice. The kind you would give someone who knows nothing about studying for a class... like "make concept maps".

Its true... I did post in the wrong forum... Sorry about that.

I did talk to the professor, and he was real mean about me missing classes because of my interviews. He didnt care.

And when I asked him what i need to do to make a better grade, he gave me useless advice. The kind you would give someone who knows nothing about studying for a class... like "make concept maps".

What class is it? I mean, we can't really tell what your situation is since all you've done so far is project your performance shortcomings onto your professor.

But this semester, I am taking a class where the professor is a dochebag and makes the class unnecessarily hard. He's failing half the class. I need the class to graduate so I did not drop it. I'm going to try my hardest to come out with a C, or a B (if things go well). But there is a pretty good chance I may fail this class.

What class is it? Can you take a W and just retake the 1 class next semester with a different teacher?

My mistake! Sorry.

What class is it? I mean, we can't really tell what your situation is since all you've done so far is project your performance shortcomings onto your professor.

Does seem like i'm projecting my shortcomings doesnt it. Well it is a riduculously hard immunology class. Normally I would have done better, but in a rush to graduate early, I am taking this class when I have too much on my plate.

Regardless, I am trying my best to at least pass. The real question is, if I don't pass, then what will happen to my acceptance at UT Southwestern?

Does seem like i'm projecting my shortcomings doesnt it. Well it is a riduculously hard immunology class. Normally I would have done better, but in a rush to graduate early, I am taking this class when I have too much on my plate.

Regardless, I am trying my best to at least pass. The real question is, if I don't pass, then what will happen to my acceptance at UT Southwestern?

I've never heard of half of the class failing a course it seems like the department chair should have some qualms with that. Do what ever it takes to not get an F though. All of my acceptance letters say the offer can be rescinded with a D or F letter grade (don't know what Southwestern's says) Contact the med school anonymously and explain your situation and see what they say. Heck, get a petition going in your class get everyone to sign it and go to the dean at your undergrad. A fifty percent failure rate has got to raise some eyebrows even if the prof does have tenure.

Are you sure he just isn't being a d@*k and trying to scare people into studying for the final? What are his trends on pick-a-prof/myedu or whatever. Is this a course commonly taken by premeds?

I'm sorry about your situation but I don't think Southwestern is going to let an F slide (definitely could be wrong). Don't stand by and get an F if you earned better.

I would do everything not to fail, but I do know a guy who failed a class (elective), but was still able to go to med school....(though the school wasn't UT southwestern, so I don't know if it'll be different)

Call UT Southwestern and ask (anonymously if you feel necessary)... Or look at their policies online/admission letter. Usually it says somewhere.

three words: Dont Stop Studying.

seriously, think about it. you busted your ass for three years of undergrad to get into med school. and you're gonna let it slip because of one class. Most schools (so ive heard) will revoke your offer if you fail a class. get a C at least....

edit: or you could always late drop and spend an extra semester (aka not graduate early).

My memory is that the letter said "satisfactory completion" of all classes or something similar. I think you better call.

So I have too much on my plate this semester, because I wanted to get done one semester early (i mean graduate in the fall). I applied this cycle and got into UT Southwestern.

Will UT Southwestern revoke my acceptance if they see that I failed a class after I got accepted?

I can take the class again in the winter and pass it to graduate, but i'm concerned what medical schools might think :(

Thanks

WITHDRAW AND TAKE IT IN THE SPRING... assuming you can't get at least a C now. You'd be a fool to do anything different... schools might revoke an acceptance for failures, particularly when the class is something highly relevant to medical school...

My letter from UT Southwestern states that the offer is contingent upon successful completion of the academic prerequisites prior to starting school. I don't think they will take it back if you fail the class and retake it in spring. But call them to make sure!

What class is it? Can you take a W and just retake the 1 class next semester with a different teacher?

+1...drop it, take it next semesterr or even summer if you can....hell, take it at another university if you have to.

Thanks

I say drop it and take it again next semester. With all your free time, you can probably do whatever you would have done anyway (unless it was like... go to Europe or something).

Looks like things are going to be ok. I talked to the professor again and he says he's going to curve the class quite a bit, and that I should not worry because I have a score above the median :)

Thanks for all the advice though.

Go talk to the prof. While I don't support a** kissing, sometimes it's necessary. Talk to the guy, say I'm having trouble meeting the standards set in the class, how do you suggest I do better? Every professor, assuming this is not his first time teaching the class, has had students struggle in some fashion. Ask for advice, do what you need to to pass.

Schools can withdrawl an acceptance if a student has a sharp decline ie fails, in class performance. Will they, don't know. But don't risk it. Talk to they guy, say I'm trying, but it's not happening, what should I do differently?

I've seen A**kissing work wonders!

Looks like things are going to be ok. I talked to the professor again and he says he's going to curve the class quite a bit, and that I should not worry because I have a score above the median :)

Thanks for all the advice though.

Yay! It all worked out. :)