I Got My First Secondary!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked my email this morning, and the University of Kentucky had sent me a link to their secondary. I'm not sure why I'm so excited, but I am. Anyone else getting secondaries now?

Members don't see this ad.

SeminoleFan3 said:
I checked my email this morning, and the University of Kentucky had sent me a link to their secondary. I'm not sure why I'm so excited, but I am. Anyone else getting secondaries now?
Wow thats pretty fast :). I want to get interviewed already but i dont wanna fill out and pay all of the secondaries lol.

Yay for you! :thumbup:

When did you submit your AMCAS app? Are you applying early decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
SeminoleFan3 said:

Yeah, they're pretty exciting at first until you realize that in order to send them in you have to write like a $75 check with it.... Oy! This process wreaks havoc with your bank account.

silas2642 said:
Yeah, they're pretty exciting at first until you realize that in order to send them in you have to write like a $75 check with it.... Oy! This process wreaks havoc with your bank account.

Do most secondaries require checks, or can you give them a credit card #?

DougFlutie said:
Do most secondaries require checks, or can you give them a credit card #?

Depends where you apply. If I recall correctly, the secondaries that were submitted online generally allowed you to pay electronically with a credit/debit card. Other times, especially if you had to mail your secondary in, you had to send it with a check or a money order.

silas2642 said:
Depends where you apply. If I recall correctly, the secondaries that were submitted online generally allowed you to pay electronically with a credit/debit card. Other times, especially if you had to mail your secondary in, you had to send it with a check or a money order.

My application has been processed by AMCAS, but it sends they're going to send the info in July. How can you get a secondary from Univ of Kentucky so early?

silas2642 said:

My application has been processed by AMCAS, but it says they're going to send the info in July. How can you get a secondary from Univ of Kentucky so early?

nsxnorcal said:
My application has been processed by AMCAS, but it says they're going to send the info in July. How can you get a secondary from Univ of Kentucky so early?

I was wondering the same thing. Someone else said they got their secondaries from Ohio State. I guess they actually send the applications earlier?

hlchess said:
I was wondering the same thing. Someone else said they got their secondaries from Ohio State. I guess they actually send the applications earlier?

I've heard AMCAS sends out biographic info to schools each week (name, address, email, state of residence, etc) and the entire file will be sent in July. So if the school isn't screening they could contact you immediately.

They must release some of the info because UK screens OOS applicants for MCAT/GPA. I'm OOS. I submitted sometime last week, got verified sometime last week, and added UK on Monday night when I got my MCAT scores. I got the secondary (online invite) sometime Saturday morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
SeminoleFan3 said:

Congrats. That is especially great, since you are an OOS, and have to have higher grades than the in-staters to be considered. Or most the time. Was the secondary very long? Congrats again. :D

I also got the UK secondary yesterday. I think it's like jillibean mentioned above. When you submit I think you have to give permission or at least understand that the AAMC releases data early to schools for them to prepopulate the list and send out secondaries early. As for UK screening, I think it MIGHT mean that they screen for interviews since there is no way they could have screened us without all of our information (right?). Anyway, that is the perception I get from looking over the MSAR and the secondary form. OOS essay sucks btw... g/l all!

I haven't "received" a secondary, but I have started filling a few out online. I haven't even had my AMCAS verified, but some places you can start the secondary only with a AAMC ID number ;)

just got Georgetown's secondary today . . . $130 and a "why georgetown" essay .

CTtarheel said:

For the record, on the other "secondaries" thread, there's this REL guy who has confirmed that AMCAS has already released approved applications to medical schools.

SeminoleFan3 said:

I got an e-mail from Columbia this morning, pointing me to where I can fill out the online secondary (which I actually have begun already). But, my AMCAS hasn't even been verified yet! Confusing...

fotografía said:
I got an e-mail from Columbia this morning, pointing me to where I can fill out the online secondary (which I actually have begun already). But, my AMCAS hasn't even been verified yet! Confusing...

I'm in the same boat: I got an email from Columbia but it still says that they are waiting for my transcript (which were in the mail more than 10 days ago).

Can anyone explain what is going on?

I have received secondaries from both OSU and Georgetown. In both the emails they said they have received my application but that seems a little early since on AMCAS they say they will go out in early July. But I am grateful to get these now so I can get them done. Maybe they just have the basic information from AMCAS...

fotografía said:
Same here. I'm assuming they've just been given our basic contact info and are sending the secondaries out based on that.

FutureNeuroStud said:
For the record, on the other "secondaries" thread, there's this REL guy who has confirmed that AMCAS has already released approved applications to medical schools.

If you guys are interested in the Univ. of South Florida, the REL guy is the admissions guy there so be nice!!

I also got a secondary link for Columbia, but I am verified.

I just got my first: Columbia. Oddly enough, I haven't even been verified, so they must provide basic information to schools. Good luck everyone, kind of exciting, kind of scary.

Svidrillion said:
I'm in the same boat: I got an email from Columbia but it still says that they are waiting for my transcript (which were in the mail more than 10 days ago).

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Same here...very bizzare

I got my first secondary from MCW!

DF38 said:
Same here. I'm assuming they've just been given our basic contact info and are sending the secondaries out based on that.

Columbia, Hopkins, and some other schools just have an online secondary that you can fill out whenever before the deadline but don't generally give specific invites for secondary.

gujuDoc said:
Columbia, Hopkins, and some other schools just have an online secondary that you can fill out whenever before the deadline but don't generally give specific invites for secondary.

In that case are these all non-rolling schools? Thanks

sintheta said:
In that case are these all non-rolling schools? Thanks

nope...they just figure they can get more money if they don't screen pre-secondary ;) several secondaries are available online to anyone with an amcas id number (meaning you have to have started your amcas, that's all). the ones i've found so far are:

johns hopkins
wash u
jefferson
columbia

i got an email w/ a link to UF's "secondary" yay, UF! :D

Duchess742 said:
nope...they just figure they can get more money if they don't screen pre-secondary ;) several secondaries are available online to anyone with an amcas id number (meaning you have to have started your amcas, that's all). the ones i've found so far are:

johns hopkins
wash u
jefferson
columbia

i got an email w/ a link to UF's "secondary" yay, UF! :D

i know jefferson's is available for download.. but i don't think we can access the online one until they send us a login/pin. or am i wrong?

CTtarheel said:

damn, $130??? that's the most expensive secondary i've ever heard of. all that for "why georgetown?"

I was wondering what is generally considered 'early' submission of secondaries. I know that it has been stressed that one should have a very short turn-around once they receive their secondaries, but are we talking mid-July, or mid-august?.....what is considered early? Thanks.

hindu said:
I was wondering what is generally considered 'early' submission of secondaries. I know that it has been stressed that one should have a very short turn-around once they receive their secondaries, but are we talking mid-July, or mid-august?.....what is considered early? Thanks.
If you have all your secondaries in and you are complete at every school before August is up then you are doing VERY WELL.

I got my first secondary from MCW this morning as well. Emailed the password and asked to fill out online secondary.

I kind of hate non pre-screened secondaries....such a feeling of false hope!

anyone willing to post the secondary app q's for MCW and Columbia?

MCW sometimes doesn't have an essay but I'm sure Columbia does.

jdawt said:
I also got the UK secondary yesterday. I think it's like jillibean mentioned above. When you submit I think you have to give permission or at least understand that the AAMC releases data early to schools for them to prepopulate the list and send out secondaries early. As for UK screening, I think it MIGHT mean that they screen for interviews since there is no way they could have screened us without all of our information (right?). Anyway, that is the perception I get from looking over the MSAR and the secondary form. OOS essay sucks btw... g/l all!

This doesn't jive from what i was told by the UK dude i emailed to see it i would receive a secondary from UK. They deff screen oos, so I dunno how you got one already if they dont have the MCAT scores and GPA, odd. Oh well congrats, i'm hopin to submit my AMCAS this week sometime and get on that UK secondary, could someone perhaps send me the essay questions for the UK secondary so i can get started on it since the guy told me that I would get one based on my number? Thanks

George Washington requires you to have completed 90 credits by the time you apply...well I have 103, but that includes 21 credits from High School (IB). Is that ok?

mjos22 said:
George Washington requires you to have completed 90 credits by the time you apply...well I have 103, but that includes 21 credits from High School (IB). Is that ok?

From http://www.gwumc.edu/edu/admis/html/admissions/index.html#entry

"At the time of application, applicants must have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours at an accredited American or Canadian college or university prior to matriculation. Transfer coursework from foreign schools is not acceptable. Online coursework is not acceptable."

It says prior to matriculation. What's the problem.