I got placed in Intermediate Algebra....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroprincess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really messed up on my placement exam, and as a result, I got placed into Intermediate Algebra. I'm freaking out because this is going to be a waste of a semester, especially since pre-calc is a prerequisite for a bunch most science classes at my school. Do you think I'll be fine? Is this going to hold me back too much? And is there anything I can do to not fall so behind? Also, would this look bad to med schools? Is this going to impact my application? I really really don't want to graduate in an additional year.

Members don't see this ad.

Just pass all your courses w/ the best grades possible. This is a marathon not a sprint

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think I'll be fine?
Is this going to hold me back too much?
And is there anything I can do to not fall so behind?
Also, would this look bad to med schools?
Is this going to impact my application?
Yes.
No.
See if you can get an override from your professors/see if you are allowed to take some (edit: non math intensive) pre-reqs at the same time as the algebra class. Even if you can't it should still be doable.
No.
No.
Just do well in your courses and no one will care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't start your science classes, particularly physics, until you have a good grasp of Math. Take it slow and earn the best grades you can. In the end GPA counts far more than how long it took you to complete the pre-reqs.

Reactions: 3 users
Aren't Soc and Psych essentially pre-reqs now? You definitely don't need math for those.

This won't make you take an additional year to graduate unless you plan the rest of your years poorly, and it's not really a waste of a semester because you did after all test into it.

Edit: Thinking about this, this is kind of odd. So you will need to take algebra -> pre-calc? I don't even think my undergrad had any maths lower than basic calculus or stat.

I really messed up on my placement exam, and as a result, I got placed into Intermediate Algebra. I'm freaking out because this is going to be a waste of a semester, especially since pre-calc is a prerequisite for a bunch most science classes at my school. Do you think I'll be fine? Is this going to hold me back too much? And is there anything I can do to not fall so behind? Also, would this look bad to med schools? Is this going to impact my application? I really really don't want to graduate in an additional year.

Perhaps take a summer class to catch up (just make sure you will be able to perform well in a class with a shorter duration).

You probably got placed in intermediate algebra because you messed up on algebra. You can't be messing up on algebra. Making an algebra mistake is how you make a 60 on an exam because you messed up early on question 3. Not all teachers give partial credit.

Reactions: 1 users
Take the (theoretically) easy A and rejoice, especially if it turns out your grounding isn't as solid as you think it is. It would be a huge mistake to imperil your GPA by taking on a higher level class and be forced to struggle through it.
I agree with Catalystik ... plenty of students thought they were totally ready for certain pre-reqs (e.g., physics) due to receiving high grades in their high school math classes. [Note: In general, it is advisable to know how to do algebra well as a prep for doing reasonably well in pre-med physics and calculus.] Later, some of these students floundered and eventually drowned in physics; and some of them had to re-take physics after receiving a non-passing grade - especially if the class was taught on the quarter system (meaning the class may have seemed unusually fast-paced to some students).

I'm NOT saying you fall into the above category - not at all ... no worries.

As other posters (e.g., eteshoe and LizzyM) have already mentioned, your scholarship and undergraduate GPA is important, and at this time in your life, you're in a collegiate marathon (and not in a sprint). You can solidify your knowledge of various mathematical concepts in Intermediate Algebra by ace-ing the class and earning a letter grade of "A" (which is a nice addition to your GPA). Then, when you proceed to physics and calculus, YOU might be confident and smiling (whereas some of your classmates might be struggling and sinking ... and wishing they were in your shoes).

Thank you.

It's unfortunate, but use it as an opportunity to buffer your GPA with an easy A. Sadly, you may have to take physics in your junior year if not later, once you have completed the math requirements.

Focus on acing those math courses right now. This should be your priority.

Ok story time. My first time in college I got placed into pre-calc. Well to graduate on time I needed to take calc I fall of my freshman year instead.
I begged with my advisor and got placed in calc I. Well once I got in I didn't do well and wound up having to retake the class my spring semester to get an acceptable grade.
So I was still a semester behind with a horrible grade on my transcript.

In short, trust the placement test.

I tutored calculus for two semesters (an easier version for business and life sciences majors) and found time and time again that the biggest struggle that many of my students had was simply algebra. I even had students who had previously dropped the class to take a lower level one first. These algebra skills will translate over to physics and chemistry. I know it's frustrating, but it's better to take the extra time if it's going to allow you to get the best grades possible. You can always consider taking summer classes if you're that worried about the time. To steal a line I've seen a lot on here: this process is a marathon, not a sprint.

I tutored calculus for two semesters (an easier version for business and life sciences majors) and found time and time again that the biggest struggle that many of my students had was simply algebra. I even had students who had previously dropped the class to take a lower level one first. These algebra skills will translate over to physics and chemistry. I know it's frustrating, but it's better to take the extra time if it's going to allow you to get the best grades possible. You can always consider taking summer classes if you're that worried about the time. To steal a line I've seen a lot on here: this process is a marathon, not a sprint.
Another tutor here:
Knowing your algebra forwards and backwards is super essential. Plus C/P on the MCAT is like... 95% algebra skills.

Reactions: 1 users