I got rejected from more schools than you did! (Rejection Humor Thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted176373

I applied to 42 programs over 2 years in total. 16 Interview offers, and 26 flat out rejections!

Anyone else want to vent.

Mark

PS - Yes, I did have a happy ending and got into my second round #1 choice.

Members don't see this ad.

I got rejected from the same internship site....twice. First in the morning, and then in the afternoon. I was thinking maybe they made a mistake, but I guess they just wanted to make sure I knew....:laugh:

-t

I got rejected from a school I didn't apply to. ETS messed up and sent my scores to a few random schools instead of the ones I listed - I eventually got it fixed but random schools still got my scores and one of them rejected me. Apparently they needed more than just GRE scores to complete their application process *gasp*. Shocking. On the other hand, I was also offered admission into a program I didn't apply to. Got rejected from a PsyD program but in the rejection letter they said contact so-and-so if I wanted my application to be passed along to the Master's program where they thought I would be a good fit. I didn't do it b/c I was still waiting on a number of schools but a few weeks later I got an acceptance letter from that Master's program :p

Oh and I sort of got rejected from one of the schools I'm applying to now. I requested some information from them around January of this year and instead of sending me the information, they sent a letter stating that the deadline for applications has already passed, thank you for considering our program. I didn't really want to apply to get in the year before I graduated, but oh well :p

Members don't see this ad :)
But...I was rejected from 17 schools in two years. If I don't get at least an offer or two, that'll bump it up to somewhere around 30. Don't be jealous.

Because this is technically my third round, I may be rejected the same 3 schools 3 times. Beat that! That's nine rejections from only 3 institutions.

Pretty pitiful, huh?

But...I was rejected from 17 schools in two years. If I don't get at least an offer or two, that'll bump it up to somewhere around 30. Don't be jealous.

Because this is technically my third round, I may be rejected the same 3 schools 3 times. Beat that! That's nine rejections from only 3 institutions.

Pretty pitiful, huh?

You have potential to beat my record... I hope you don't... How ever will I hold on to the angst otherwise?!?

Mark

I absolutely love this thread. Losers UNITED!! Can I join? :D

I applied to work with a guy that my boss did his post-doc with - they were cycling buddies and everything! My boss sent him an extra "Amy is great!" email, and I figured I'd at least get an interview.

Nothing. Flat out rejected. I guess nepotism only gets you so far!:rolleyes:

I had something similar Amy.

When I applied to one school, I was at LEAST expecting an interview. I was talking to one of my LOR writers on the phone to make sure everything got out okay (she was away at a conference at that time) and I mentioned that said school's website said her letters hadn't arrived but I wasn't sure if they just hadn't updated the site yet. She said, "Oh, aren't you applying with prof y there? She's actually a friend of mine, I'm on my way to meet her for dinner as we speak. I'll just tell her then".

I was at LEAST expecting an interview! Nothing. Turns out it may not have been the best research match anyways, though its a fantastic school, but still!

Back on topic....13 applications and 10 rejections for me. I got in someplace I'm very happy with though, so that's all that matters.

I was at LEAST expecting an interview! Nothing. Turns out it may not have been the best research match anyways, though its a fantastic school, but still!

Back on topic....13 applications and 10 rejections for me. I got in someplace I'm very happy with though, so that's all that matters.

Found my that one of my better letter writers was screwed out of all her clinical programs by a PO who torpedoed her with bad LORs. I was applying to go to the school where he had become director of clinical research... I told her to write the letter anyway (as her last name had changed.) :p

Mark

Hilarious topic :laugh:
Hopefully 2008 is our year!

I got rejected prior to interviews at a school, then invited for an interview (post-official interview day...it seems my POI's choices for interviews sucked big time), then rejected again after being told I was the only "viable" candidate. :eek:

One of the schools I interviewed at last year didn't even bother to tell me I was rejected. After spending a weekend with me, you'd think they'd at least bother to send me a rejection letter. Apparently, I wasn't all that memorable.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the schools I interviewed at last year didn't even bother to tell me I was rejected. After spending a weekend with me, you'd think they'd at least bother to send me a rejection letter. Apparently, I wasn't all that memorable.

ugh. That is pretty inconsiderate. Not that rejection letters are 'coveted' items, but there is a baseline of respect that should be mutually conveyed. I am sure it has NOTHING to do with whether or not you are memorable.

I had an internship site that I was going back and forth with send a, "It's not you, it's me" letter. It was admittedly a reach site for me (300+ applicants for 3 spots), but based on the e-mails I had made it through the first bunch of cuts and everything pointed to an invite.

-t

Interesting. Am working on my masters right now and contemplating going for Psy.D soon after. Reading your posts, I'm almost afraid...

This is my third round too. I only have 18 rejections so far. But I was rejected twice from the same school so I could say 19! I have to admit it's nice to see that I am not the only one doing the stupid application process again and again...and again! :D

Nah, it's far too early for that... unless you REALLY suck, in which case you probably wouldn't have done enough research to find this website.

Mark

Yup.
I didn't get my rejection from yale til early february, and I bet that was about the quickest rejection anyone can receive;) I probably didn't even make it past the grad secretary...

Wow, I must REALLY suck because I got my rejection from Loyola Chicago last week!

That is awful! They could at least delay it a few weeks so it would seem as if someone actually looked at your application. I think there should be some type of proof the school should have to provide that they actually read applications since there is a paid fee. Someone should get Ralph Nader involved in this process. Consumers are being ripped off!

I hope someday you get offered a position as a professor at Loyola. At which point you can whip out your rejection letter and say: "since years ago you were so kind to reject my application so quickly, I would like to return the favor and let you know right now, without even thinking about it, that you can take your offer and shove it!" :laugh:

Ah if only fantasies would ever come true! :laugh:

That is awful! They could at least delay it a few weeks so it would seem as if someone actually looked at your application.

Sometimes when schools have cutoff scores they eliminate those who don't make cutoff scores even without looking at any more of their documents.

Wow, I must REALLY suck because I got my rejection from Loyola Chicago last week!

I am sorry to hear that. I am really surprised you got a rejection this early in the running. It's uncommon for prepared applicants, which I am sure that you are. Not to try to sugar coat it, but sucking is a relative term. My application would have surely sucked at University of Michigan (which I applied to anyway and was summarily rejected from) but would be amongst the top of the pile at Forrest Institute of Professional Psychology.

They auto-reject for GRE's less than 1100 and with average GRE's exceeding 1300 and average GPA's of 3.91 last year, this is not an easy school to get into. I have no idea what your credentials are, I am not gonna hazard a guess, but in Loyola's eyes... you weren't ever gonna make it.

The important thing is to figure out why. Because if you are a strong applicant academically then you need to look carefully at your personal statement and your letters of reference. I have trouble believing that you would have not researched the program and known how hard it was to get in since you made it here, so now the question is what went wrong. Don't worry, I was told early and often how bad I sucked my first time around, and that was with a 1300 GRE and a 4.0 GPA. Turned out that I was doing a poor job of matching myself to programs and expressing that interest in my personal statement effectively.

Mark

Maybe the reason of your rejection isn't your qualifications but something else. Maybe some of your documents, such as transcripts or GRE scores didn't make it there. Some schools will reject you without warning if something in the application is missing.

They auto-reject for GRE's less than 1100 and with average GRE's exceeding 1300 and average GPA's of 3.91 last year, this is not an easy school to get into.

Ok, I read that wrong the first time and totally freaked out. I took that as they auto-reject GRE's less than 1100, and auto-reject GREs exceeding 1300 and GPA's over 3.91. So unless you hit the sweet spot of GRE's between 1110 and 1290, you were cut right off the bat.

I know that should be completely insane, but I'm familiar with law school applications... at some schools, if your GPA and LSAT scores are too high, they don't necessarily <i>reject</i> you, but they put you on this odd wait list that you can withdraw from at any time. That way, they don't screw up their yield numbers while still registering the application.

After an interview, I was rejected from the University of Tulsa. A few weeks later, I received a notice in the mail that I did not get the assistantship because I was rejected from the Ph.D. program. Well, duh. I mean, I was hoping to get money even though I didn't get into the school *rolls eyes*

There was also the three rejections (2 e-mail and one mail) that I received from another school I interviewed at. So yeah, rejections all around. :D

Eeek, sorry you were rejected from U of Tulsa (I'm from there and have friends there in undergrad). I see you're from Winston-Salem. You woldn't happen to go to Salem Women's College, would you? My sister-in-law teaches there. (I apologize for the off-topicness)

Eeek, sorry you were rejected from U of Tulsa (I'm from there and have friends there in undergrad). I see you're from Winston-Salem. You woldn't happen to go to Salem Women's College, would you? My sister-in-law teaches there. (I apologize for the off-topicness)

I went to Salem. What's her name? What does she teach?

Back to the main topic at hand, I essentially received my (unofficial) first rejection from UAB-no invite to the interview. So I did some digging around to feel better, and found a letter that I thought people would get a kick out of:How to Respond to a Rejection Letter

Ever wish you had a clever way to answer all those rejection letters? Here's how one graduate applicant chose to respond:

Graduate Admissions Committee
Department of Psychology
Big Deal University
Collegeville, USA

Dear Committee Members:

Thanks for your letter of March 30. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of schools, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your outstanding record and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my current career needs. Consequently, I will begin taking classes as a graduate student in your department this August. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely Yours,
[name withheld]

Department of Psychology
Big Deal University
Collegeville, USA

Dear Committee Members:

Thanks for your letter of March 30. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of schools, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your outstanding record and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my current career needs. Consequently, I will begin taking classes as a graduate student in your department this August. I look forward to seeing you then.

Sincerely Yours,
[name withheld]

That's fantastic. Sorry to hear you were rejected, though! My SIL's name is Edyta O...she teaches English. Apparently, some consider her an ogress, but she's really pretty great.

That's fantastic. Sorry to hear you were rejected, though! My SIL's name is Edyta O...she teaches English. Apparently, some consider her an ogress, but she's really pretty great.

I heard of Ms. O, although I never had her. I think my twin sister had her as a teacher, it seems so long ago (even though it was only a few years).

I'm trying not to take this first rejection harshly, it's a tough competitive process. Besides I have 14 more rejections to look forward to! ;)

Actually, I'm at Wake Forest. I am in their general psychology masters program.

Honestly, after you are detached from the application experience, the whole process is quite funny. The whole business with Tulsa doesn't bother me any more--although I was definitely singing a different tune this time last year, trust me. :D

not yet. Though I keep checking my snail mail diligently. Three schools I applied to have extended interviews, but not to me. I guess maybe that means they totally don't hate me yet? :laugh:

I am sorry to hear that. I am really surprised you got a rejection this early in the running. It's uncommon for prepared applicants, which I am sure that you are. Not to try to sugar coat it, but sucking is a relative term. My application would have surely sucked at University of Michigan (which I applied to anyway and was summarily rejected from) but would be amongst the top of the pile at Forrest Institute of Professional Psychology.

They auto-reject for GRE's less than 1100 and with average GRE's exceeding 1300 and average GPA's of 3.91 last year, this is not an easy school to get into. I have no idea what your credentials are, I am not gonna hazard a guess, but in Loyola's eyes... you weren't ever gonna make it.

The important thing is to figure out why. Because if you are a strong applicant academically then you need to look carefully at your personal statement and your letters of reference. I have trouble believing that you would have not researched the program and known how hard it was to get in since you made it here, so now the question is what went wrong. Don't worry, I was told early and often how bad I sucked my first time around, and that was with a 1300 GRE and a 4.0 GPA. Turned out that I was doing a poor job of matching myself to programs and expressing that interest in my personal statement effectively.

Mark

Hey Mark,

I know you posted this awhile ago but I was wondering if you could explain what you were doing wrong? (if you don't mind) It is a pretty big fear of mine that I am messing up personal statements (my academic/GRE stats are similar to what yours were) and I fear that not really effectively selling myself might mess up my chances! How did you figure out what you were doing wrong?

Thanks!

I went to Salem. What's her name? What does she teach?

Back to the main topic at hand, I essentially received my (unofficial) first rejection from UAB-no invite to the interview. So I did some digging around to feel better, and found a letter that I thought people would get a kick out of:How to Respond to a Rejection Letter

Ever wish you had a clever way to answer all those rejection letters? Here's how one graduate applicant chose to respond:

Department of Psychology
Big Deal University
Collegeville, USA

Dear Committee Members:

Sincerely Yours,
[name withheld]

AMAZING....I laughed out loud. Awesome.

Hey Mark,

I know you posted this awhile ago but I was wondering if you could explain what you were doing wrong? (if you don't mind) It is a pretty big fear of mine that I am messing up personal statements (my academic/GRE stats are similar to what yours were) and I fear that not really effectively selling myself might mess up my chances! How did you figure out what you were doing wrong?

Thanks!

Well it took a while and a lot of internal honesty. At first I pondered the possibility that the fact that I was an older non-traditional student who was not exactly the affirmative action poster child may have impacted my chances. I used to joke that if my name were Pedro Hernandez and I was 25, things would be easier. It didn't take long to realize that even if this were the case, that short of making a new identity that I would have to accept the fact that I was a 40 year old white male (which did limit my scholarship opportunities as an undergrad.)

In reality, I called the schools, incredulous that I didn't get a single interview opportunity at schools that I should have had a solid chance at. Sure, I understood why Yale wasn't calling, but I had no idea why University of North Texas didn't call! I was very picky my first time around, Oklahoma State University and University of North Texas were my "safety schools." I wanted in at a top notch program and I was determined to do so.

REALITY CHECK.

At the point I was applying I was a Junior, with a 4.0 GPA and 2 semesters as an R.A. and just beginning data collection on my Honors Thesis. I had only been in college for 3 semesters. (I CLEP'd 56 credit hours my first semester and transferred 24 credits from military schools.) I had a total of less than 40 credit hours of verifiable coursework. My transcripts looked strange to say the least (I finished my degree in 5 semesters.) Still these were not the things that killed my packet.

The biggest single killer? I did a poor job of matching and of networking.

Improving my matches is what made the largest difference for me. I also revealed far more about myself in my personal statement. I clearly laid out my intended career trajectory and how I felt that the school I was applying to lent itself to the completion of my goals. I would dare say that my essays were more selfish than they had been the previous year.

I went to a number of conferences (3) that year that I had before I could apply again. I networked and discussed with professors what had happened to me and listened to suggestions that they had regarding my applications. I visited programs prior to the application season in order to meet faculty and express interest in the department. This led to several interviews and in not applying to a few as well. Arizona State University made it quite clear that I simply did not have enough research experience to make the cut and told me why I did not have a competitive application within their program, I instead applied to their counseling program where I was interviewed and a far better match.

Going to the interviews that I did get was a real eye opener, the competition is stiff!!! Once you get past the GRE/GPA hurdle, those two factors mean NOTHING!!! It's all about what you can bring to the program, and many have extensive research experience, masters degrees, or both! I interviewed at several programs my second time through only to meet applicants that made me look unqualified.

Don't be afraid to be yourself (unless you are a serial killer or other sociopath) and don't be afraid to express your expectations.

Visit programs and conferences, track down and talk to the professors you want to work with. It makes a HUGE difference when you meet them at a professional conference and express obvious interest in the field and their research.

Match yourself carefully with the programs and mentors. Know who you want to work with and why you want to work with them.

Don't be afraid to call programs and ask what the reason was that you were not selected.

Apply to programs you have a realistic chance at gaining admission at. It's not easy, also don't be afraid to reach for a few stars... pick intelligently.

Mark

PS - I forgot to add, all that hard work, it was worth it!!! Every bit of it paid off.

Well it took a while and a lot of internal honesty. At first I pondered the possibility that the fact that I was an older non-traditional student who was not exactly the affirmative action poster child may have impacted my chances. I used to joke that if my name were Pedro Hernandez and I was 25, things would be easier. It didn't take long to realize that even if this were the case, that short of making a new identity that I would have to accept the fact that I was a 40 year old white male (which did limit my scholarship opportunities as an undergrad.)

In reality, I called the schools, incredulous that I didn't get a single interview opportunity at schools that I should have had a solid chance at. Sure, I understood why Yale wasn't calling, but I had no idea why University of North Texas didn't call! I was very picky my first time around, Oklahoma State University and University of North Texas were my "safety schools." I wanted in at a top notch program and I was determined to do so.

REALITY CHECK.

At the point I was applying I was a Junior, with a 4.0 GPA and 2 semesters as an R.A. and just beginning data collection on my Honors Thesis. I had only been in college for 3 semesters. (I CLEP'd 56 credit hours my first semester and transferred 24 credits from military schools.) I had a total of less than 40 credit hours of verifiable coursework. My transcripts looked strange to say the least (I finished my degree in 5 semesters.) Still these were not the things that killed my packet.

The biggest single killer? I did a poor job of matching and of networking.

Improving my matches is what made the largest difference for me. I also revealed far more about myself in my personal statement. I clearly laid out my intended career trajectory and how I felt that the school I was applying to lent itself to the completion of my goals. I would dare say that my essays were more selfish than they had been the previous year.

I went to a number of conferences (3) that year that I had before I could apply again. I networked and discussed with professors what had happened to me and listened to suggestions that they had regarding my applications. I visited programs prior to the application season in order to meet faculty and express interest in the department. This led to several interviews and in not applying to a few as well. Arizona State University made it quite clear that I simply did not have enough research experience to make the cut and told me why I did not have a competitive application within their program, I instead applied to their counseling program where I was interviewed and a far better match.

Going to the interviews that I did get was a real eye opener, the competition is stiff!!! Once you get past the GRE/GPA hurdle, those two factors mean NOTHING!!! It's all about what you can bring to the program, and many have extensive research experience, masters degrees, or both! I interviewed at several programs my second time through only to meet applicants that made me look unqualified.

Don't be afraid to be yourself (unless you are a serial killer or other sociopath) and don't be afraid to express your expectations.

Visit programs and conferences, track down and talk to the professors you want to work with. It makes a HUGE difference when you meet them at a professional conference and express obvious interest in the field and their research.

Match yourself carefully with the programs and mentors. Know who you want to work with and why you want to work with them.

Don't be afraid to call programs and ask what the reason was that you were not selected.

Apply to programs you have a realistic chance at gaining admission at. It's not easy, also don't be afraid to reach for a few stars... pick intelligently.

Mark

PS - I forgot to add, all that hard work, it was worth it!!! Every bit of it paid off.

Hey Mark,

Thanks very much for that. I've done a lot of that work this year (networking,etc) and I have gotten some really great feedback but I do fear my statements were not personal/ 'selfish' enough......there's always that balance of wanting to express your interests but also wanting to fit well, and it is sometimes difficult to get a read on what kind of people you are applying to.

Anyways, I am very glad things worked out! You seem fairly qualified to me!

Thanks very much for the advice and the sharing.

Hey Mark,

Thanks very much for that. I've done a lot of that work this year (networking,etc) and I have gotten some really great feedback but I do fear my statements were not personal/ 'selfish' enough......there's always that balance of wanting to express your interests but also wanting to fit well, and it is sometimes difficult to get a read on what kind of people you are applying to.

Anyways, I am very glad things worked out! You seem fairly qualified to me!

Thanks very much for the advice and the sharing.

Well this finally clicked last year when writing my statements, my peers and professors genuinely liked me for being me. So why not just lay it out there and be me, I was glad I did.

Mark

You have potential to beat my record... I hope you don't... How ever will I hold on to the angst otherwise?!?

Mark

Ok, you guys are not thinking like the true PhDs such as myself (or soon to be). What's the deal the numbers of schools you got rejected from? The number is worthless unless you provide also the total number of schools you applied to. I think we need to establish a rule for this thread: report percentages. I, for example, was rejected from exactly 90% of clinical PhD programs (I applied to 10 and got only 1 interview) and was offered admission to my safety school (which itself had about 56 applicants per available slot!). One may call me crazy. I prefer to think that I am not -- just a little dumb is all. I should've applied to a better spread of programs as opposed to all elite schools.

I am done with my program by the way and am going on my internship this year. But, dammit, I should've gotten my hands on that rejection response letter that is posted above, I would've gotten some good use out of it 4 years ago! :laugh:

Ok, you guys are not thinking like the true PhDs such as myself (or soon to be). What's the deal the numbers of schools you got rejected from? The number is worthless unless you provide also the total number of schools you applied to. I think we need to establish a rule for this thread: report percentages. I, for example, was rejected from exactly 90% of clinical PhD programs (I applied to 10 and got only 1 interview) and was offered admission to my safety school (which itself had about 56 applicants per available slot!). One may call me crazy. I prefer to think that I am not -- just a little dumb is all. I should've applied to a better spread of programs as opposed to all elite schools.

I am done with my program by the way and am going on my internship this year. But, dammit, I should've gotten my hands on that rejection response letter that is posted above, I would've gotten some good use out of it 4 years ago! :laugh:

I think if you read the two posts that you quoted you will see that total numbers are posted. As for not thinking like a Ph.D.? Hmmm, I thought that's what I was going to school for.

As far as the data goes, there is too much unexplained variance to make it useful as it stands. You would need considerably more than just percentages to make the information useful, but you already know that. So why report percentages when they don't add to the understanding of the raw data?

Is your 90% comparable with my 61%? More to the point what does that data tell you... Nothing. Because my first year I had 2 interviews (with safety schools Michigan State University and Oklahoma State University) resulting in a 13% interview rate and a 52% rate the next year (my safety schools were considerably more safe, Indiana University of PA, Our Lady of the Lake University) strangely my interviews at competitive programs increased as much as safety school interviews. Without me going into some depth, any conclusions reached would be guessing and nothing else.

The data is meaningless though... Nothing substantial changed from year 1 to year 2 other than my application essay. To chastise people for improper data presentation in an informal internet thread is a little anal, don't you think?

Mark

PS - Congrats on making it through to the other side.

I think if you read the two posts that you quoted you will see that total numbers are posted. As for not thinking like a Ph.D.? Hmmm, I thought that's what I was going to school for.

As far as the data goes, there is too much unexplained variance to make it useful as it stands. You would need considerably more than just percentages to make the information useful, but you already know that. So why report percentages when they don't add to the understanding of the raw data?

Is your 90% comparable with my 61%? More to the point what does that data tell you... Nothing. Because my first year I had 2 interviews (with safety schools Michigan State University and Oklahoma State University) resulting in a 13% interview rate and a 52% rate the next year (my safety schools were considerably more safe, Indiana University of PA, Our Lady of the Lake University) strangely my interviews at competitive programs increased as much as safety school interviews. Without me going into some depth, any conclusions reached would be guessing and nothing else.

The data is meaningless though... Nothing substantial changed from year 1 to year 2 other than my application essay. To chastise people for improper data presentation in an informal internet thread is a little anal, don't you think?

Mark

PS - Congrats on making it through to the other side.

Actually, my comment was a tongue-in-cheek one. Thus, the smiley at the end of it. Wasn't this thread marked as a "rejection HUMOR thread?" But I am sure you are the only person who took my posting as a serious challenge to the quasi-scientific approach of this thread. Your response is absolutely hilarious, which, I suspect, may hurt your ego a bit. Take it as an opportunity to learn to relax once in a while and not take things too seriously. Believe me, it'll help you through the grad school.

Actually, my comment was a tongue-in-cheek one. Thus, the smiley at the end of it. Wasn't this thread marked as a "rejection HUMOR thread?" But I am sure you are the only person who took my posting as a serious challenge to the quasi-scientific approach of this thread. Your response is absolutely hilarious, which, I suspect, may hurt your ego a bit. Take it as an opportunity to learn to relax once in a while and not take things too seriously. Believe me, it'll help you through the grad school.
damn, what is your problem?
retract claws and understand that sarcasm doesn't transmit well via the web, especially in the form of a smiley.

Claws! :laugh: That's funny! I must disagree: humor transmits very well over the web, particularly in threads that are marked as "humor." That ought to be a good clue, huh? Don't take it too seriously.

Actually, no it didn't come through that way. Looked like you were laughing about the rejection letter and that was it. I really am not so emotionally invested in this thread that I can't laugh.

LOL, Speaking of damaged ego's, I could poke a bit of fun at you too... but it all seems rather pointless.

Mark

Actually, no it didn't come through that way. Looked like you were laughing about the rejection letter and that was it. I really am not so emotionally invested in this thread that I can't laugh.

LOL, Speaking of damaged ego's, I could poke a bit of fun at you too... but it all seems rather pointless.

Mark

Atta boy! And yes, it did hurt to get rejected by 90% of schools. You better believe it! But I already poked fun at myself on that account in my original posting. And now, if you'll excuse me, I must go sharpen my claws. ;)

I was just rejected from my #1 choice. The best part? I told them they were my #1 in my Personal Statement, and put many reasons why I really wanted to attend their school, specifically. In terms of clinical, research, and curriculum opportunities.

I knew it was coming, but still.

I was just rejected from my #1 choice. The best part? I told them they were my #1 in my Personal Statement, and put many reasons why I really wanted to attend their school, specifically. In terms of clinical, research, and curriculum opportunities.

Sorry to hear that! I recall my first rejection which actually came from the school where I did my undergrad (summa cum laude at that). And I swear, their rejection was emailed to me nearly immediately after I hit that "Send application" button.

On a related note.... that's something I haven't thought of before--telling EVERY program I applied to that they are my #1 choice! I wonder if you would've felt better if you did that? :laugh:

On a related note.... that's something I haven't thought of before--telling EVERY program I applied to that they are my #1 choice! I wonder if you would've felt better if you did that? :laugh:

I did that for the vast majority of programs I applied to. :oops:

In my defense, any program that accepts me will be seen as my favorite program lol.

If it makes you feel any better, my number one choice accidentally emailed the entire pool of applicants travel information to the interview, so I thought I was given an interview when I really wasn't. The graduate coordinator tried to recall the email three times, and then emailed everyone saying it was an electronic mistake (merging function didn't work or something along those lines). I haven't heard anything since...I'm assuming its an unofficial rejection since I wasn't one of the ones who was supposed to receive travel information. *sigh* :confused: