I had lasik surgery last year, I have not seen my OD since

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jersey9000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had lasik surgery by my OMD, and seen OD throughout for my vision fluctuating. After everything has been stable, I have not seen my OD for over a year. My question is has your business declined because of lasik/prk and crystal lenses ?

Members don't see this ad.

I had lasik surgery by my OMD, and seen OD throughout for my vision fluctuating. After everything has been stable, I have not seen my OD for over a year. My question is has your business declined because of lasik/prk and crystal lenses ?

You mean you didn't do any follow up exams?

You mean you didn't do any follow up exams?

yes, after my lasik surgery, i had 1 year free of follow ups with my OD, after the year was up and I was stable I have never seen my OD again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no expert, but at the office I worked at, the ophthalmologists paid us between $600-800 to do follow up visits on our patients after laser surgery, so I doubt opts are losing any money. Even if you don't come back for 6-8 years (please don't do that though, bad things could happen!), we still broke even.

I'm no expert, but at the office I worked at, the ophthalmologists paid us between $600-800 to do follow up visits on our patients after laser surgery, so I doubt opts are losing any money. Even if you don't come back for 6-8 years (please don't do that though, bad things could happen!), we still broke even.

so what your saying, with Lasik/Prk and crystal lenses in the market for young adults to older adults for a number of years now, OD are still not losing business b/c of the refraction?

Again, I don't know for sure, I haven't researched it, but refractions themselves are cheap, so thats not the loss. Its people who don't know the importance of having a eye health exam not coming in because they can see clearly now and think thats the only reason to come to an OD. I, personally, would have even more regular exams after having any kind of surgery just to check out the health of your eyes, even though you don't need the refraction anymore.

Again, I don't know for sure, I haven't researched it, but refractions themselves are cheap, so thats not the loss. Its people who don't know the importance of having a eye health exam not coming in because they can see clearly now and think thats the only reason to come to an OD. I, personally, would have even more regular exams after having any kind of surgery just to check out the health of your eyes, even though you don't need the refraction anymore.

Well thank you for your response, I am considering OD school if I cannot get into pharmacy school, and with me getting Lasik done, I was afraid that would reduce business for OD's.

Well thank you for your response, I am considering OD school if I cannot get into pharmacy school, and with me getting Lasik done, I was afraid that would reduce business for OD's.

Have fun counting pills.

1) If anything, refractive surgery has substantially improved the bottom line in my practice.

2) If you are going to use optometry school as a back up to pharmacy, please consider a different career. The last thing we need in optometry is more losers who go to optometry school because it's "good enough."

ugh...

Must be a troll. Pretty sure pharm school isn't that hard to get into. Where do people come up with this stuff? Go to the Caribbean and get your MD. Don't need to take the MCAT and a 3.0 GPA will get you through the door!

Must be a troll. Pretty sure pharm school isn't that hard to get into. Where do people come up with this stuff? Go to the Caribbean and get your MD. Don't need to take the MCAT and a 3.0 GPA will get you through the door!
...WTF? And you're calling the *OP* a troll? Go have a Corona, man. You sound like you need one.

Why are you always in the OD forums? hmm.....

I've been wondering the same thing.

If you don't have follow-ups after LASIK don't you void your warranty, or do you just have to go for that first year? I have a (stupid) cousin who got it done a few years ago and never went ONCE for a follow up.

Wow that's a pretty nice post-op salary! Ask them if I can jump aboard!!! :D