i hate all the "what are my chances..?" threads..but I just have to ask

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightthecandle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok..so here's the run down...

I go to UConn, and today I had my Physics exam and let's just say it did not go so great..I got a 27 and there's no curve in the class..so i'm stuck with it, and it's 15% of the entire grade. I KNOW i could've scored an A, but I procrastinated, and didn't learn the material fast enough.

freshman year gpa's
fall:3.4
spring: 3.5
summer: ( i took bio 1 and 2, got a B, and then a C+ accordingly)
sophmore year gpa
fall: took a leave of abscense due to medical reasons, so i ended up with all W's.
spring: (now) I know I'm going to get A's in my 2 other classes..but physics I feel like i'm going to get a B or B+ at most, which would put my gpa at about 3.3.
and also, I plan on graduating in 5 years

anyhow, I am so determined to put 110% into all my studies , and seriously get A's from here on out, I just hope that getting a B in physics won't demolish my chances for getting into medschool right after graduating. I hate to be one of those premeds who chase around grades driving them selves insane bc I'm really not. I'm a hardworker, and my passion is medicine, it's just that I don't really feel too confident right now.

Anyhow, any tips on how you guys may have had a rough beginning in college but worked your butts off and are in medschool or a premed like me would be greatly appreciated.

wow, I really hate making a thread which states all this..but hopefully I can get some positive feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

what i cant stand more than the 'my chances' threads are the posts where someone says 'I know I could have got an A, but I procrastinated'

here is your advice: since you are so capable of getting an A, next time get one, then continue to do so, one bad grade early on will not kill you, and 15% seems like a lot, but you can still do fine in the class

Don't look to far ahead. Stay focused and do well on your exams. As Mike said, 15% seems like a lot now, but you have much more ahead of you. Stay calm, and just study your a** off. Theres nothing we can really say here other than work hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
DKMsguide2.jpg

no one's going to be able to predict your chances this early in the game... mostly because all you've told us about is your gpa. You haven't taken the MCAT (a.k.a "the great equalizer") and that heavily influences your chance.

All we can do is remind you that there is always hope and you absolutely must fight for this like its all your clinging on to. If medicine really is your passion, you should have no problem giving it your all and working to nail down A's from here on out. This is still yours to win or lose... go for it, mate.

I go to UConn, and today I had my Physics exam and let's just say it did not go so great..I got a 27 and there's no curve in the class..so i'm stuck with it, and it's 15% of the entire grade. I KNOW i could've scored an A, but I procrastinated, and didn't learn the material fast enough.

freshman year gpa's
sophmore year gpa
fall: took a leave of abscense due to medical reasons, so i ended up with all W's.
spring: (now) I know I'm going to get A's in my 2 other classes..but physics I feel like i'm going to get a B or B+ at most, which would put my gpa at about 3.3.

anyhow, I am so determined to put 110% into all my studies , and seriously get A's from here on out, I just hope that getting a B in physics won't demolish my chances for getting into medschool right after graduating. I hate to be one of those premeds who chase around grades driving them selves insane bc I'm really not. I'm a hardworker, and my passion is medicine, it's just that I don't really feel too confident right now.

Anyhow, any tips on how you guys may have had a rough beginning in college but worked your butts off and are in medschool or a premed like me would be greatly appreciated.

wow, I really hate making a thread which states all this..but hopefully I can get some positive feedback.

Actually I think chances threads like these are the only ones worth responding to, both because you give good info about yourself and because you've got time to put advice into practice. I had a rough time with physics at first too, not quite a 27 on the first exam but still failing. I buckled down and pulled out a B in lecture and A in lab, then A's in PhyII, but it wasn't easy. I literally had never had to study before and had to learn how to stop procrastinating and get down to business. Identify what the real problem is and kill it. Try out various study/memorization techniques and see what works for you, it's definitely a skill you're going to need down the road. Given your history, if later this semester you realize you won't manage a B consider dropping it before getting your final grade. You've already got enough baggage attached to your BCPM average.

yeah, well, I've do partake in extra curriculars..Resident Assistant, involved in Reading with children in Public schools, have an excellant intership with a doctor during spring break, and will attend a Summer Medicine and Dentistry Program or research in NIH ( i haven't decided) and plan on being president next year, in one club. For fun, I like to stay active and run marathons...hopefully this helps..and I suppose I'll get more involved in EC's as time goes on.

that's great, but don't forget to put your heart and soul into MCAT studying. Med schools like well roundedness, but they also like to know you have the academic capability to push through the med school material.

freshman year gpa's
sophmore year gpa

Yeah, you'll want to try and get that GPA up. I would first start by improving your math skills (110%?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I personally would be more worried about the C+ in Bio than the B in Physics...

You already know the answer--you need to buckle down and get solid grades from here on out, especially in the rest of the prereqs, and rock the MCAT. If your science gpa is hurting, consider taking some upper level courses to boost your science gpa and prove that you know your bio, etc. You definitely have time to fix your mistakes--good luck!

If ever there were someone who needs to write a guide to the medical school application process, it is you.
I've thought about it.....I just need a good title......and to get done with my pocket guide to mechanical ventilation that I'm writing for med students and residents (if anyone wants a copy, I'll be selling them starting in the next month or so for $12 shipping included; PM me if you want a copy).

I just need a good title

A few come to mind:

"You Suck at Life"
"STFU"
"Your life is over when you hit 3.9"
"30+ or Business School"
"What not to Say on Internet Boards"

The possibilities are endless!

I just need a good title

A few come to mind:

"You Suck at Life"
"STFU"
"Your life is over when you hit 3.9"
"30+ or Business School"
"What not to Say on Internet Boards"

The possibilities are endless!
:laugh: Remember you are having a conversation with a guy who once (when discussing an idea for a research project) with a friend said the following:
Friend: Can you think about how unethical you could make that?
Me: Mengele School of Medicine Class of 2013 here we come
Friend: LOL I'd laugh if there was actually a med school named after him
Me: I believe it's in Argentina somewhere
Friend: :laugh: VERY NICE!

I can only imagine the temptation to pass on useful information in the most left-handed way possible. ;)

I can only imagine the temptation to pass on useful information in the most left-handed way possible. ;)
:laugh: If I were to write a book on med school admissions, it would be correct and good advice, only delivered in a brutally honest and straightforward manner.

If by "honest and straightforward" you mean bitch-slap with a rusty shovel, then sure. ;)

I can relate, though; when I teach my students why "slippery slopes" are logical fallacies, I show it by tying their sexuality to their attitude towards fishtanks. They get laughed at, but the point is made. ;)

If by "honest and straightforward" you mean bitch-slap with a rusty shovel, then sure.
Sometimes that is the most appropriate response......

I can relate, though; when I teach my students why "slippery slopes" are logical fallacies, I show it by tying their sexuality to their attitude towards fishtanks. They get laughed at, but the point is made.
PM me.....It sounds like there is a story behind this..... :laugh: