jackets5

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
1,189
12
Status
Okay, who here hates there professors. I have one specific one this semester it is Biochem. So far we have had three quizes the class average one each exam has not reached 50 as of yet. What is the professor trying to prove that he can write tests that the whole class cant do well on. Add to the fact he dosent go over the tests how are we suppose to actually learn the material. The only care seems to be to cover the most material possible and make the exams as hard as possible. Its a senior level class so all the people in it are good science students who have made it through all the weed out classes and I go to a good school for the sciences. What does the professor get out of writing tests that the majority of the class cant get half credit on. He is obviously doing a crappy job teaching the material we are suppose to know.
 

jeffsleepy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2002
334
0
Visit site
Status
Well if it's graded on a curve, and with scores so low I assume it has to be, then it doesn't really matter what the actual percentages are right? If I ever teach a class, I'm going to aim for a median of 50% to get the best distribution. But yeah, it sucks to see the 60 on your paper until you realize that you actually did pretty well.
 

jackets5

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
1,189
12
Status
Yeah the fact its grades on a curve is fine but last year a 60 was an A, 50 was B, 40 C and so on. It just shows that the material is not learned and it is more the fault of the professor not the students when the grades are that low. I mean Biochem is real important and it helps get a good base for med school (or so ive heard) and not to have a teacher who actually cares if anyone learns the material it sucks.
 
About the Ads

angietron3000

*black magic soul power*
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2005
421
1
42
Status
My biochem class is like that, only it's not on a curve. So an A is 90 even if the average is in the 50s.. the final is next week and I can't bring myself to study! I think I'll end up with a B whether I bust my ass studying or not!
 

SearsTower

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2005
310
0
Status
Pre-Medical
powerpoints suck hard a&&

everything should be done in chalk and blackboard (and no, not even those white boards with the squeaky little pens).

The average for my last chem exam was 27% and I think my professor is a great teacher. Stop whinin'
 

BooMed

Optomist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
911
2
37
Oregon girl in the Bama
Status
Non-Student
I hate it when the powerpoints actually come with the textbook, so it's like they're reading the class the textbook with the exact same, stupid pictures. Completely pointless.
 

isobel

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2005
223
0
Status
Pre-Medical
my biochem professor talks like she's auditioning to take the Micro-Machines guy's place. when she finishes her page of notes, she has to take a deep breath, i kid you not. she gives the ppt slides but when you stop to fill in some notes, you've missed what she said about the next slide. she is nutso.
 

DeadorAlive

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
351
0
Status
jackets5 said:
Yeah the fact its grades on a curve is fine but last year a 60 was an A, 50 was B, 40 C and so on. It just shows that the material is not learned and it is more the fault of the professor not the students when the grades are that low. I mean Biochem is real important and it helps get a good base for med school (or so ive heard) and not to have a teacher who actually cares if anyone learns the material it sucks.
I don't see how this is a problem....? Instead of assuming that your prof is a crappy teacher, it seems more likely that your professor writes very challenging tests. This, in the long run, will help you to work harder, learn more, and understand the material better.

I had some brilliant professors in undergrad, one nobel laureate in particular, who were very bad teachers. They mumbled in monotone, refused to answer questions, and were condescending. Tough tests aren't the mark of bad teaching, though!

In my orgo class, our great prof wrote incredibly hard tests - usually we averaged in the 40s with the highest 1 or 2 grades approaching 60. As a result, when we were given the national organic chemistry exam as a final, my entire class scored above the 96th percentile. We learned a ton because we were challenged - be grateful! The curve will make sure that your grade doesn't suffer, and you're learning a lot more than you would if you were getting 90s... it's a psychological tool to get students to work harder.
 

StevenRF

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
475
3
Status
The number of bad teachers definitely outweighs the number of good ones by at least 10 to 1. My biochem prof unfortunately also teaches advanced mobio and advanced biochem. He's literally going cenial. He'll forget what hes covered and teach things twice during the same lecture. He stands in front of the overhead projecter so you cant see what he writes except for a corner above his sholdier. Since hes almost deaf, you have to yell at him really loud to get him to look up. Of course though, he's tenured....the biggest sham in all of academia....

My biotech professor is morbidly obese, and totally hates life. She walks around all the time unhappy and yells at everyone. In class she manages to spend the lecture talking about crap, such as her coke addict husband or Eagles lyrics. To top that off, she collects our DNA. Ever semester she makes the last 3 labs a prep for criogenic freezing of the hypervariable DNA that all the crime labs use for identification. My lab partner and I gave her some beef about that and told her not to include ours. She literally has cloned DNA for thousands of students sitting in her fridge...What once was an A aint no more...

Does anyone else have the feeling that college is useless. At the end of the day, my friends and I all end up teaching the stuff to ourselves. Class labs are useless as well. Only by going and working in a real one did I gain anything. "You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library."
 

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
4,286
50
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
jackets5 said:
Okay, who here hates there professors. I have one specific one this semester it is Biochem. So far we have had three quizes the class average one each exam has not reached 50 as of yet. What is the professor trying to prove that he can write tests that the whole class cant do well on. Add to the fact he dosent go over the tests how are we suppose to actually learn the material. The only care seems to be to cover the most material possible and make the exams as hard as possible. Its a senior level class so all the people in it are good science students who have made it through all the weed out classes and I go to a good school for the sciences. What does the professor get out of writing tests that the majority of the class cant get half credit on. He is obviously doing a crappy job teaching the material we are suppose to know.
In my experience, the best teachers I have had--the classes from which I actually remember the material--were the ones that were NOT extremely, obscenely hard. In my case, if a teacher is extremely hard it makes me want to study LESS, not more. I need someone who makes the material enjoyable, who answers stupid questions nicely (are there even any stupid questions..in my opinion any question is valid if you really don't know the answer). These professors made the class interesting and gave good reviews, so when the test came it was easy to make a good grade and reinforce the material learned. Most people FYI did not make good grades because people are lazy.
Personally, I want a TEACHER, not a LECTURER who forces me to sleep during class and then teach myself at home. I don't mind teaching myself but come on! I'm paying 30K+ a year for that! no way!
 

Dave_D

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2005
515
0
Massachusetts
Status
DeadorAlive said:
In my orgo class, our great prof wrote incredibly hard tests - usually we averaged in the 40s with the highest 1 or 2 grades approaching 60. As a result, when we were given the national organic chemistry exam as a final, my entire class scored above the 96th percentile. We learned a ton because we were challenged - be grateful! The curve will make sure that your grade doesn't suffer, and you're learning a lot more than you would if you were getting 90s... it's a psychological tool to get students to work harder.
Right, the good thing about those tests are they are challenging. You get to see what you do and don't know.(And let me be blunt, there's probably alot us non-profs don't know about orgo, gen chem, etc.) You get to see where you are weak and work on it.(Which will only help you come MCAT time.) As long as it's not being used against you when it comes to grade time try to see it as an extra chance to learn.
 
About the Ads