Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I have grades under the school's minimum requirement...still apply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by StaphRx, Dec 30, 2008.

1. StaphRx

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Hello!

I unfortunately have some grades under the B- requirement of some of the pharmacy schools. :thumbdown:

Does anyone have any experience or know of people first hand that still got accepted into the schools with pre-requisite requirements under the B- minimum criteria?

I know my chances are slim, if I don't follow and meet the school's criteria, yet, I don't want to regret not going for it and trying it out at the same time...

If you know of cases/situations where people can still get accepted in with low grades, please feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable talking about it in public. Anything would help. I appreciate it~ :)

2. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You should call the school and ask about your situation because only they know. There are many people in this sdn got in pharmacy school with a low GPA.

3. cinnamoroll12

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If it states the minimum PCAT or GPA requirement, then I would want to make sure that I meet that minimum requirement. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste my money to apply, knowing that they would reject me. If you have a low GPA and the school does not list the minimum GPA, then I could apply if I want to but I would look into the stats from the previous year (i.e. the number of people who got an interview or accepted).

4. wolfpackhal

wolfpackhal UNC PharmD class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Call the school and see what they say! They may allow it and give you a chance... or they may not and applying to that particular school would be a waste of time and money. Calling is the only way to really know your chances.

5. 117296

117296 Guest

Pharmacy Student
    95% of the time, having a GPA under the minimum will get your app forwarded to the trash. Do call each school and see before wasting your $.

6. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed!
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You said some grades under a B-, but do you have a strong GPA? Excuse my ignorance, are there schools that require you to have a certain grade in a class to apply?

7. StaphRx

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry

Yes, there are some schools that require the prerequisite courses taken from an accredited university/college to be above a B-minimum, ie. Economics, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't do so well on courses that didn't particularly pertain to my major's requirements when I was still in undergrad. Overall GPA is so and so, but the curriculum I was in basically got some professional schools to take and consider my "lower" GPA and grades...not sure if it's the same for Pharmacy. Like most people are saying, there's a high probability that my app will be trashed if grades are low and do not all pass the minimum?

8. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    My opinion is to not waste your time applying if you do not meet the min requirements....seems like a waste as most schools wouldn't even look at your application once they saw this. There is a difference in a lower GPA and not meeting min requirements.

Spend the time retaking classes and improving the GPA

9. AngelaCL

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I wouldn't bother applying,unless there is something that is absolutely fantastic about your application that would make the committee ignore the minimum requirements. I'm talking huge amounts of important research or running a charity pharmacy in a third world country or something. Otherwise, find other schools with less stringent requirements or retake classes.

10. cinnamoroll12

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The B- requirement on the prereqs is for Albany COP right? I thought I came across to that somewhere on their website.

11. StaphRx

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    I think you're right. I was looking into Albany's COP requirements.

Anyone know if they would still consider something lower than B- for the non-science courses? :D

12. cinnamoroll12

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I really don't know, but I might want to contact the office once school starts this Monday. From what I heard in the past from friends and those on SDN, it seems like a majority of those who got invites had around a 3.8-4.0 GPA. Some with GPAs in that range even got rejected.