I have grades under the school's minimum requirement...still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StaphRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I unfortunately have some grades under the B- requirement of some of the pharmacy schools. :thumbdown:

Does anyone have any experience or know of people first hand that still got accepted into the schools with pre-requisite requirements under the B- minimum criteria?

I know my chances are slim, if I don't follow and meet the school's criteria, yet, I don't want to regret not going for it and trying it out at the same time...

If you know of cases/situations where people can still get accepted in with low grades, please feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable talking about it in public. Anything would help. I appreciate it~ :)

Members don't see this ad.

You should call the school and ask about your situation because only they know. There are many people in this sdn got in pharmacy school with a low GPA.

If it states the minimum PCAT or GPA requirement, then I would want to make sure that I meet that minimum requirement. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste my money to apply, knowing that they would reject me. If you have a low GPA and the school does not list the minimum GPA, then I could apply if I want to but I would look into the stats from the previous year (i.e. the number of people who got an interview or accepted).

Members don't see this ad :)
Call the school and see what they say! They may allow it and give you a chance... or they may not and applying to that particular school would be a waste of time and money. Calling is the only way to really know your chances.

95% of the time, having a GPA under the minimum will get your app forwarded to the trash. Do call each school and see before wasting your $.

You said some grades under a B-, but do you have a strong GPA? Excuse my ignorance, are there schools that require you to have a certain grade in a class to apply?

You said some grades under a B-, but do you have a strong GPA? Excuse my ignorance, are there schools that require you to have a certain grade in a class to apply?

Yes, there are some schools that require the prerequisite courses taken from an accredited university/college to be above a B-minimum, ie. Economics, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't do so well on courses that didn't particularly pertain to my major's requirements when I was still in undergrad. Overall GPA is so and so, but the curriculum I was in basically got some professional schools to take and consider my "lower" GPA and grades...not sure if it's the same for Pharmacy. Like most people are saying, there's a high probability that my app will be trashed if grades are low and do not all pass the minimum?

My opinion is to not waste your time applying if you do not meet the min requirements....seems like a waste as most schools wouldn't even look at your application once they saw this. There is a difference in a lower GPA and not meeting min requirements.

Spend the time retaking classes and improving the GPA

I wouldn't bother applying,unless there is something that is absolutely fantastic about your application that would make the committee ignore the minimum requirements. I'm talking huge amounts of important research or running a charity pharmacy in a third world country or something. Otherwise, find other schools with less stringent requirements or retake classes.

The B- requirement on the prereqs is for Albany COP right? I thought I came across to that somewhere on their website.

I think you're right. I was looking into Albany's COP requirements.

Anyone know if they would still consider something lower than B- for the non-science courses? :D

I think you're right. I was looking into Albany's COP requirements.

Anyone know if they would still consider something lower than B- for the non-science courses? :D

I really don't know, but I might want to contact the office once school starts this Monday. From what I heard in the past from friends and those on SDN, it seems like a majority of those who got invites had around a 3.8-4.0 GPA. Some with GPAs in that range even got rejected.