I have no experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tina2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
lately it was so stressful as I think that everyone is well prepared for Med school better than me.
I am a junior. I have a good GPA: 4.0 GPA and 4.0sGPA. However, I still fill so stressed. I didn't take the mcat yet. I am planning to apply June of senior year (I will take gap year). I have several problems.

I have 0 hours of volunteer, clinical experience, or research. I came to U.S 3 years ago, and I focusing on academics because for me studying in English was already challenging. Unfortunately, I neglected adding to my personality and experiences. If I will begin now all these, would the committee feel that I don't have commitment even if I made a lot of hours?

I also took an A.A. degree at community college, and then I transferred to a four year university. I took chemistry 1 and 2, biology 1 and 2, and statistics at a community college. I am a science major, so I still have a lot of classes to take at 4 year University. I am currently taking immunology, orgo 1, and I don't find them that bad. I will still take a lot of science classes, anatomy, physiology, orgo 2 , physics 1-2, ecology, Microbiology, biochemistry, Calculus, Genetics, molecular cell biology, etc. Do you think taking some of my science classes at a community college can affect my application.

Another problem that I have is my bad communication and writing skills. As I stated before, English is not my first language, and I understand the importance of good communication and writing skills when applying to med school. However, I don't know how to improve them in this short period of time. I am also not very outgoing ( My heavy accent and somehow poor English make me sometimes scared to talk.). That also doesn't help me at all improving my communication skills. Do you have any advice on how to improve them?

Members don't see this ad.

It's time to start volunteering, working in medicine, and engaging with people. Don't worry about looking like you lack commitment. You can't change the past, but you can change your plans for tomorrow. If you don't try, then you'll never succeed.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone,
lately it was so stressful as I think that everyone is well prepared for Med school better than me.
I am a junior. I have a good GPA: 4.0 GPA and 4.0sGPA. However, I still fill so stressed. I didn't take the mcat yet. I am planning to apply June of senior year (I will take gap year). I have several problems.

I have 0 hours of volunteer, clinical experience, or research. I came to U.S 3 years ago, and I focusing on academics because for me studying in English was already challenging. Unfortunately, I neglected adding to my personality and experiences. If I will begin now all these, would the committee feel that I don't have commitment even if I made a lot of hours?

I also took an A.A. degree at community college, and then I transferred to a four year university. I took chemistry 1 and 2, biology 1 and 2, and statistics at a community college. I am a science major, so I still have a lot of classes to take at 4 year University. I am currently taking immunology, orgo 1, and I don't find them that bad. I will still take a lot of science classes, anatomy, physiology, orgo 2 , physics 1-2, ecology, Microbiology, biochemistry, Calculus, Genetics, molecular cell biology, etc. Do you think taking some of my science classes at a community college can affect my application.

Another problem that I have is my bad communication and writing skills. As I stated before, English is not my first language, and I understand the importance of good communication and writing skills when applying to med school. However, I don't know how to improve them in this short period of time. I am also not very outgoing ( My heavy accent and somehow poor English make me sometimes scared to talk.). That also doesn't help me at all improving my communication skills. Do you have any advice on how to improve them?
I had horrible social anxiety in college. I got a 4.0, but I did zero extracurriculars. I graduated in spring of last year, applied for med school in the fall (stupidly), and got big fat Rs.

Right after my first interview in September of last year, I decided to suck it up and get over my social anxiety. So I started with extracurriculars. I began volunteering at 2 hospitals across 4 different units and got into leadership positions for volunteers at those hospitals. I did shadowing with lots of different doctors, started tutoring for 2 companies, and did some non-clinical volunteering as well. I also retook my MCAT during this time because my first MCAT score was fine, but not great for MD schools. I applied again for the current cycle.

You said you are worried that schools won't think you have enough commitment because you're planning on just now starting extracurriculars. I just got accepted to my top choice school this week, and had literally less than a year of extracurriculars under my belt. Don't be afraid to talk about your anxiety and fears in your future application. I did, and I really think my story of overcoming those things was what swayed them in my favor. I grew so much while putting myself out there over this past year, and getting over my anxiety was the best thing I ever did. If this is what you want, don't let anything stand in your way.