I have to drop Chemistry I :(....vent post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tltfdds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have to drop Chem I. its either drop it or get an F! I don't understand why this class is too hard :( I am a non-traditional student with a full time career but all I do in my spare time is study for chem. Even with a tutor, this class is super hard and by accident and just not knowing I enrolled with the hardest professor in the department. My tutor suggested some easier professors to take next semester but unfortunately I have to drop :( I failed every Lecture exam! 29% 50% 58% 55%...there is no point in taking the final...I study watch youtube videos, (shout out to tyler Dewitt) and I understand what I study but then I get the exam and I'm like WHAT THE F*** is THIS? I didn't do so bad on lab quizzes as these were all practical exams and sorta fun and the TA was cool and I did okay in lab but MAN!! This is sorta just a vent post because i'm mad but sorta worried...

My questions is, how does AW's (automatic Withdraw) look to dental school admins?

I am doing great in my bio classes, haven't taken physics yet but i'm scared now after what I experienced in Chem and! I can't find one dentist, not one who can tell me how they use chem on the job! I get laughed at when I ask and non of them know anything about chemistry and don't even remember how they passed. Why is chem and physics even needed to get into dental school? Patients don't give a damn about limited reactions! I'm just pissed! have to take these hard ass classes that that may stand in the way of me becoming a dentist :( From now on i'm taking chem with the easiest professor I can find!

Members don't see this ad.

One or two W's won't hurt your application enough to prevent admission in the future. Don't stress about it!

If I were you, I would first try to figure out why you are performing so poorly in the class. My guess is that, since each professor has their own teaching preferences and question styles, you are not able to translate what you learned to the actual test. The actual problem may run deeper than this, but only you would know that.

I find college (as a whole) to be one giant test of adaptation. You need to conform your learning style and test-taking abilities to suit the needs of each professor you encounter. Worked for me, so maybe this insight will help you down the line.

Reactions: 2 users
GC is a hard course, don't feel bad. Unlike you, I was too stubborn and got an F. Worked my ass off after that and now in my second year of dental school.

OC is a lot easier imo, other sciences courses too. So don't think you're not meant for this because of that course.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I have to drop Chem I. its either drop it or get an F! I don't understand why this class is too hard :( I am a non-traditional student with a full time career but all I do in my spare time is study for chem. Even with a tutor, this class is super hard and by accident and just not knowing I enrolled with the hardest professor in the department. My tutor suggested some easier professors to take next semester but unfortunately I have to drop :( I failed every Lecture exam! 29% 50% 58% 55%...there is no point in taking the final...I study watch youtube videos, (shout out to tyler Dewitt) and I understand what I study but then I get the exam and I'm like WHAT THE F*** is THIS? I didn't do so bad on lab quizzes as these were all practical exams and sorta fun and the TA was cool and I did okay in lab but MAN!! This is sorta just a vent post because i'm mad but sorta worried...

My questions is, how does AW's (automatic Withdraw) look to dental school admins?

I am doing great in my bio classes, haven't taken physics yet but i'm scared now after what I experienced in Chem and! I can't find one dentist, not one who can tell me how they use chem on the job! I get laughed at when I ask and non of them know anything about chemistry and don't even remember how they passed. Why is chem and physics even needed to get into dental school? Patients don't give a damn about limited reactions! I'm just pissed! have to take these hard ass classes that that may stand in the way of me becoming a dentist :( From now on i'm taking chem with the easiest professor I can find!

Like others have said, a W isn't the end of the world. Make sure you bounce back next semester, remember that chemistry is an integral component of a successful application. Many schools place heavy emphasis on the B-C-P GPA. A withdrawal will pad that GPA from being dinged by a low grade.

About your concern about chemistry, you're right that patients don't care, but you will. Selecting dental materials that are chemically favorable in terms of hydrophobicity, adherence, and alkaline/acidity qualification is very important. It'll be more relevant that you can imagine. Wait for pharm classes!

I withdrew from calc and chem 2, and failed calc and orgo 1. Later on (talking about now) managed 2 pre-dec interviews and 2 post December by October after applying the last week of August. Got into both the pre-dec schools and cancelled the other 2 even though my chances probably were good to get into either. Been rejected from 2 schools but still waiting to hear news from 9 of them. Don't let one W discourage you. You're in a way better position than I was in!!! :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Start looking for a school that does not require chemistry.

I dropped biochem and had a tough time the second time. I just got my 4th interview. It will all be ok.