I have to write my own LOR!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cricket

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek: So I asked my attending to write me a letter of rec today and he said, "Sure, why don't you write your own and send it to me?" He said that since he's only gotten to know my clinical skills/abilities and doesn't know me personally that I should write "a few paragraphs" about my personal characteristics, why I would make a good pediatrician, how I'm dedicated to the field, about my hobbies, etc, so the letter will come off sounding as if he knows me really well. Has anyone else out there been in this same very uncomfortable situtation? This is the same program that I know will be one of my top two choices for residency, and I'm wondering now if this letter will even carry any weight since he's on the committee and he knows I wrote it myself. I'm trying to look at the bright side of this, knowing that I will for sure come out of it with a glowing letter, but I'm dreading having to do it and don't really know where to start. Advice?!

Members don't see this ad.

Cricket said:
:eek: So I asked my attending to write me a letter of rec today and he said, "Sure, why don't you write your own and send it to me?" He said that since he's only gotten to know my clinical skills/abilities and doesn't know me personally that I should write "a few paragraphs" about my personal characteristics, why I would make a good pediatrician, how I'm dedicated to the field, about my hobbies, etc, so the letter will come off sounding as if he knows me really well. Has anyone else out there been in this same very uncomfortable situtation? This is the same program that I know will be one of my top two choices for residency, and I'm wondering now if this letter will even carry any weight since he's on the committee and he knows I wrote it myself. I'm trying to look at the bright side of this, knowing that I will for sure come out of it with a glowing letter, but I'm dreading having to do it and don't really know where to start. Advice?!

That really sucks-I had to do that too and it was also at a top program on my list-it did make me rank that program lower b/c it is unacceptable. Isn/t there another attg there who can help you out???

I really wanted to ask a particular attending for a LOR... but soon found out he asks everyone to write their own letter. I opted not to ask him for one. I just couldn't get past the possibility that on an interview I could be faced with the question, "Were you ever asked by any attendings to write your own letter?" (esp if this guy is KNOWN to do that). How the hell do you answer that question? Crappy situation!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never been put in this situation, but what about just explaining to him that you're not comfortable writing your own LOR but are willing to give him a copy of your PS or something so he could get some insight into your personality and motives?

Cricket said:

Think of it as practice for writing your personal statement. Or if you've already written that use that. If not then just sit down at your keyboard and start. He's going to change it all up anyway.

id suggest finding a professor or administrator that you trust and that knows that letter writting BS to talk to to find out if programs think this is kosher and to write it with you if you can. that way it will sound like a LOR not a personal statment

good luck